Science graduate uses his degree to open an illegal brewery

webfact

I have about 8 litres of Coopers sparkling ale left for my 70th next month , the Beer police have 4 weeks to find it and 2 families of em live in my soi but they are not invited , ferlung with Thai wives only. I might mix it with Chang to see if it improves Chang ....couldn't be worse.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai Bev and Boon Rawd control the beer market here, and that's extremely unlikely to change for reason's we're all aware of. What frustrates me is how easy it'd be for these huge corporations to diversify their drink ranges to incorporate non lager style beers.

There's now an impressive range of beers available here, which are rightly growing in popularity with the younger Thais. Unfortunately these beers are all imported so prices are high. I just wish the big domestic brewers would wake up and tap into this emerging market, as seen in neighbouring countries.

Cheers.

I think it is completely wrong that Thais are allowed to compete with imported craft beers. What temerity to imagine that a Thai can do something original, innovative and downright interesting.

It should be discouraged at all cost by the powers that be. If this is ignored, Thailand might become a second world country, and the entrenched oligopolies will lose their place in the sun.

After this, the peasants might revolt, and heaven forbid start thinking for themselves.

I am all against it....

37 minutes ago, Chicog said:

There is a way to do it, as these companies do, but it is tricky, they have to either brew abroad or bottle abroad, they cannot brew, bottle and sell in Thailand unless producing over 200,000 bottles a year, I think that is the number, it's quite a lot anyway however much it is.

5 hours ago, johng said:

Yes hence the sad and ridiculous situation of the micro breweries that have all the equipment on display but can only sell high priced imported brews not anything made on site :blink::(

The German breweries in BKK called Tawadaeng brew and sell their own beer..they even have german beerbrewers who work for them.

They also sell their homemade whitebeer, dark and some others. It's a big party there every night with many live shows...

3 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

He better go back to the province and concentrate on rice wine.

Or wine from any other fruit and sell it for a good price to the quality tourists.

It sure must be possible to brew a good wine from some thai produce. And sure tourists will like it and even bring it home if possible.

Just now, fruitman said:

Or wine from any other fruit and sell it for a good price to the quality tourists.

It sure must be possible to brew a good wine from some thai produce. And sure tourists will like it and even bring it home if possible.

We made our own orange wine on board a frigate hidden in the Tiller Flat in the 70's. All you need is one expert and a large drum and lots of fruit in this case oranges were the go. We used to mix our navy rum ration with it and called it Screaming Gorilla.

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

Have a read of the article posted by Tolsti in this thread or find the article in the Bangkok Post which I'm not allowed to link to from about two weeks back, both of which explain the barriers small breweries face in Thailand.

I had a chat with the owner of 3Bears brewpub a short time ago and he told a similar tale. It might look like a brewpub but the beer comes from Taiwan! 

27 minutes ago, fruitman said:

The German breweries in BKK called Tawadaeng brew and sell their own beer..they even have german beerbrewers who work for them.

They also sell their homemade whitebeer, dark and some others. It's a big party there every night with many live shows...

But it cannot be sold off the premises, only to be sold and consumed there, same at Holland beer halls

Edited by thai3

5 hours ago, Roota said:

There are plenty of good Thai craft beers -- Chalawan Pale Ale, Chatri IPA, Sandport, Happy New Beer etc. Technically they're brewed outside of the country but let's just say that some aspects of production do take place within Thailand. You just can't be as obvious about it as this poor fellow was. Fortunately there are signs that the law will gradually relax, like elsewhere around the region.

How is the Thai IPA.. and is it widely available? 

I miss the numbing sensation of a good oily hop onslaught when Im in Asia. 

Yep. Had a friend look into starting a micro brewery a few years ago. The laws are written by the beer oligarchies to prevent anyone opening up one. Really a stifling of free enterprise. You can open a small shop and make small money selling the big names brands, but you're not allowed to make decent money by starting up your own brewery. And they wonder why Thai entrepreneurs  want to go overseas.  

5 minutes ago, Thunder26 said:

Yep. It is 5.2% alcohol now. It definitely feels lighter.

No way is that what has reduced the hang over to other beer levels though, I could drink two of the old Chang and wake up with a head ache, 8 of the new ones and I feel a bit groggy but no head ache, it was some settling agent or preservative that they have changed, guaranteed.

Yep. It is 5.2% alcohol now. It definitely feels lighter.

Chang tastes very sweet to me now.

Leo is only 5% and 620ml with no price decrease...i'm nearly tempted to start drinking "Spy wine cooler" or "Full moon wine" both 6% and dont go bad so no horrible headache in the morning yes sad I know :(

They need to make this kid the head of a new govt division...  to oversee and promote growth of micro breweries..  for you bud miller coors drinkers change and other avail beers might do but for an IPA lover this was one of my biggest disappointments of Thailand.    a large cost to Micro breweries is labor.. its 90% dishwasher and moving grain by shovel.  And the price of beer is pretty High in Thailand...120 baht for hineken  I can buy micro beers here for 70bhat at state owned monopoly stores and they are award winning...    Is barley available in thailand?  

8 hours ago, Elkski said:

They need to make this kid the head of a new govt division...  to oversee and promote growth of micro breweries..  for you bud miller coors drinkers change and other avail beers might do but for an IPA lover this was one of my biggest disappointments of Thailand.    a large cost to Micro breweries is labor.. its 90% dishwasher and moving grain by shovel.  And the price of beer is pretty High in Thailand...120 baht for hineken  I can buy micro beers here for 70bhat at state owned monopoly stores and they are award winning...    Is barley available in thailand?  

Yes, at times like these I'm glad I drink piss water for beer. I know how beer disappointment can be so I feel for you. If it was only IPA here I would feel the same as you.

On 1/23/2017 at 0:17 PM, madmitch said:

Sad to say there's no way in Thailand that he could operate legally even if he wanted to, thanks to the brewery oligopolies.

On 1/23/2017 at 0:21 PM, johng said:

Yes hence the sad and ridiculous situation of the micro breweries that have all the equipment on display but can only sell high priced imported brews not anything made on site :blink::(

On 1/23/2017 at 1:13 PM, Briggsy said:

Totally agree. It is an absolutely nailed shut shop. Outsiders and outside competition is not permitted.

Tell it to this old English chap.

http://www.samuibrew.pub/

Really enjoy his beer.

38 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Tell it to this old English chap.

http://www.samuibrew.pub/

Really enjoy his beer.

I'll visit next time I'm in Samui. Yes, rare brewpubs exist - there's one in Phuket - but they can't sell their beer elsewhere unless it's sent overseas for bottling, and they need 10m baht registered capital, hence certain so-called brewpubs (not The Bees Knees) don't brew their own beer but have it brewed overseas. 

48 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I'll visit next time I'm in Samui. Yes, rare brewpubs exist - there's one in Phuket - but they can't sell their beer elsewhere unless it's sent overseas for bottling, and they need 10m baht registered capital, hence certain so-called brewpubs (not The Bees Knees) don't brew their own beer but have it brewed overseas. 

PM me I'll take you there. :wink: