Bangkok as Venice by 2020? Online rumor spooks city folk

webfact

6 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Sea level changes are due to a number of very complex, interrelated factors and at present cannot be predicted with any great degree of accuracy.  However, the land under Bangkok is definitely subsiding at a rate of about 2cm per year, which can be measured and predicted with great accuracy!

Most of Bangkok is 1 to 2 meters above sea level now.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that it will be partially submerged in 50 years or less, just measuring subsidence.  If you add sea level rise, we may see yearly flooding within 20 years or less.

It's time to start building those dikes!

The Dutch have a system for land below sea level.

It is called polders.

You need dykes and pumps, to keep the level manageble.

But most of all you need overflow storage in rivers upriver to hold the water, stop pumping out water from under the ground, use piling for building, roads and railways, clean out rivers and canals, remove buildings from riverboards.

The rise of sea level might be there, but certainly not so much as "advertised", but time enough to implement measures to safeguard the capital.

But most of all, start creating overflow basins upriver......Now!

My home town is Gouda.

Anything between 150 cm and 580 cm below sea level.........

Edited by hansnl

2 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

To make things slightly worse (due to the already low level of BKK), high tide combined with seasonal winds can push the sea in-land where there should be outflow. The outflow system consists of many rivers and canals, and there are locks in place, but managing those is a very complex matter! The Dutch - with lots of experience in the matter - have offered expertise on quite a few occasions, but apparently didn't fit the Thainess profile of relevant advisors.

To repeat the words of one of the Dutch, Bangkok does not have a problem, simple solution, poldering and river management.

7 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Bangkok as Venice by 2020!

Superb news. Lasagna instead of Larb.

Pizza in place of Papaya Pok Pok.

And gondolas outing the Tuk-Tuks

Bring it on  . . . :smile:

Yep, and all the corruption goes to Italy! LOL

9 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Sea level changes are due to a number of very complex, interrelated factors and at present cannot be predicted with any great degree of accuracy.  However, the land under Bangkok is definitely subsiding at a rate of about 2cm per year, which can be measured and predicted with great accuracy!

Most of Bangkok is 1 to 2 meters above sea level now.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that it will be partially submerged in 50 years or less, just measuring subsidence.  If you add sea level rise, we may see yearly flooding within 20 years or less.

It's time to start building those dikes!

Bangkok has a large network of canals - over the years they have been paved over, used as rubbish tips or public toilets, and generally neglected. Bangkok could be the Venice if they made an effort to open up the canal system which is already there. It won't stop the long term sea rise, but it will give them a useful and lucrative breathing space.

I remember stories about Bangkok subsiding since at least 1980, maybe before.

At one time the Bangkok city officials were talking about hiring experts from the Netherlands to help them with planning for the future.

How long ago was that.....?

Well about 4 coups ago, I guess.

Not exactly new Facebook news.

What will happen, is that major storms will create considerably more havoc than in the past. Just like we saw in New York City a few years back when a major storm rolled in. The subways were submerged and much of lower Manhattan was flooded. Just give it some time. No matter what any of the naysayers, and science deniers say, it is impossible for me to wrap my mind around the possibility that we are NOT causing global warming, and messing with the atmosphere. Nearly 7 billion people, and all of those cars, trucks, trains, ships, and aircraft have got to be having an effect on the ecology of the planet. It is just basic common sense, to my mind. With an ice shelf about to break off, that is nearly 300km long, from Antarctica as we speak, sooner or later sea levels are going to rise, and areas like Bangkok, Miami, New York, New Orleans, Jacksonville, much of coastal Netherlands, the Bahamas, and so many more areas could be devastated in the near future. And what are we doing about it? What is Trump going to do about it? Probably absolutely nothing. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What will happen, is that major storms will create considerably more havoc than in the past. Just like we saw in New York City a few years back when a major storm rolled in. The subways were submerged and much of lower Manhattan was flooded. Just give it some time. No matter what any of the naysayers, and science deniers say, it is impossible for me to wrap my mind around the possibility that we are NOT causing global warming, and messing with the atmosphere. Nearly 7 billion people, and all of those cars, trucks, trains, ships, and aircraft have got to be having an effect on the ecology of the planet. It is just basic common sense, to my mind. With an ice shelf about to break off, that is nearly 300km long, from Antarctica as we speak, sooner or later sea levels are going to rise, and areas like Bangkok, Miami, New York, New Orleans, Jacksonville, much of coastal Netherlands, the Bahamas, and so many more areas could be devastated in the near future. And what are we doing about it? What is Trump going to do about it? Probably absolutely nothing. 

Trump will build a wall or call Ghostbusters :smile:

I honestly believe we are not causing global warming (a cycle of nature) but we are probably contributing to it. At the end of the last Ice Age, where were the humans that caused the global warming :whistling:

I do hope that all these new buyers of the on-going condominium sites (many real ugly ones) realize that in the future they better buy or hire a gondola as well. I bet there's not one real estate company in Bangkok who will tell this news to their clients when they are negotiating a deal.... :giggle: