Understanding the journey to Digital Thailand

webfact

Understanding the journey to Digital Thailand
By Suryanarayan Kasichainula
Special to The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Thailand 4.0 policy is a new economic model aimed at developing a value-based economy. The goal is to change the country’s traditional farming and SME’s to “smart” enterprises, and traditional services to high-value services.

The policy seeks to promote creativity, innovation and the application of technology in various economic activities. Ten target industrial groups will become new engines of growth, with seven industries forming the backbone of an emerging digital economy.

The four key focus areas of Thailand 4.0 national development goals are: 

Human resources

Research and development

Agricultural and manufacturing development by utilising technology and innovation to improve competitiveness

A smart social environment to help leverage the country as a whole.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/30304913

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-26

To create "smart" enterprises, you need smart people.   They need to be educated.  They need to be able to program.  Xenophobia and silly nationalism needs to be set aside and a true a effort towards education needs to start.  

Also Thailand's draconian wireless laws hampers IoT which makes things smart.

LOST : The LAND OF SMILES and TALK  IoT : Internet of Things

"You just talking", been told that before by numerous Thai women.    

46 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

To create "smart" enterprises, you need smart people.   They need to be educated.  They need to be able to program.  Xenophobia and silly nationalism needs to be set aside and a true a effort towards education needs to start.  

Also Thailand's draconian wireless laws hampers IoT which makes things smart.

LOST : The LAND OF SMILES and TALK  IoT : Internet of Things

"You just talking", been told that before by numerous Thai women.    

Internet of things is a worry...............................

The longer article poorly outlines how it will unite 4.0 technologies to farming and smart entreprises. In point of fact i am struggling to really understand what exactly the longer article was messaging.

Farming is a combination of  knowledge and skills. How this gets implemented with 4.0 tech in the traditional thai rural settings is just not detailed even if an admirable enterprise. That would seem be the immediate challenge.

1 hour ago, alocacoc said:

What do you mean with that?

They do not follow the ISM or any international frequency band plans.  China may get them to change.  The red radios, which is like their FRS are on 200MHz.  FRS is not legal in Thailand.  433MHz for automation is not legal.  The only non licensed bans are 200MHz for red radios and the WiFi frequencies.  If this can proven wrong, you will have my eternal gratitude. 

They do not follow the ISM or any international frequency band plans.  China may get them to change.  The red radios, which is like their FRS are on 200MHz.  FRS is not legal in Thailand.  433MHz for automation is not legal.  The only non licensed bans are 200MHz for red radios and the WiFi frequencies.  If this can proven wrong, you will have my eternal gratitude. 

Yes the Thai government is about 50 years behind the rest of the world in this area. As an American amateur radio operator I enjoyed the freedom of owning any type of radio I wanted. The Thai government says radio communications is off limits to the people. There are three things listed at the airport you can't bring into the country and radio receivers and transmiters are one of them.

The proposed Single Internet Gateway in itself will be sufficient to bring any planned progress to 4.0 to a halt and will severely limit any foreign investment into Thailand. Without substantial foreign involvement in these projects, it is unlikely that any of it will get off the ground in the forseeable future.

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Yes the Thai government is about 50 years behind the rest of the world in this area. As an American amateur radio operator I enjoyed the freedom of owning any type of radio I wanted. The Thai government says radio communications is off limits to the people. There are three things listed at the airport you can't bring into the country and radio receivers and transmiters are one of them.

One the largest growth areas has been in wireless.  If your people cannot participate, then they do not learn.  Authoritarian governments are going to have trouble controlling the airways as SDR radios are tiny and cheap.  Software Defined Radio receiver goes for about B1000 and it can listen to almost anything.   You need a computer to operate it.  Are they going to ban computers ?  

Just think the average Thai deserves a chance to develop valuable skills to help his fellow Thai.

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

There are three things listed at the airport you can't bring into the country and radio receivers and transmiters are one of them.

And that's GREAT!

Even in BKK the fm-radiosignal is so bad that most of the days i can't listen to the radio.