Mexico opposition leader urges U.N. lawsuit over Trump wall

webfact

By Anahi Rama

REUTERS

r10.jpg

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, leader of the National Regeneration Movement (MORENA) party, gives a speech to supporters in Tlapanoloya, Mexico, January 25, 2017. REUTERS/Henry Romero

TLAPANALOYA, Mexico (Reuters) - A leading contender for the Mexican presidency urged his government to lodge a lawsuit against U.S. President Donald Trump at the United Nations for the wall he plans to build on the border with Mexico to keep out illegal immigrants.

Speaking as Trump gave orders to start work on the wall along the 2,000-mile (3,200-km) border with Mexico, two-time presidential runner-up and leftist opposition leader Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said the announcement was an insult to his country.

"I respectfully suggest that the government of Mexico presents a lawsuit at the United Nations against the U.S. government for violation of human rights and racial discrimination," Lopez Obrador told a crowd of supporters north of Mexico City.

A former mayor of the capital, Lopez Obrador has led several early opinion polls ahead of the July 2018 election, and last week he announced plans for a tour of major U.S. cities in February to drum up support among Mexican-Americans.

Nicknamed AMLO for his initials, Lopez Obrador has urged Mexicans to resist the policies of Trump, who stirred up widespread anger with a presidential campaign targeting Mexican migrants and laced with threats against the country's economy.

Trump's broadsides against Mexico have put President Enrique Pena Nieto under rising domestic pressure.

His approval ratings are at the lowest level of any Mexican president in years, and Trump's order on Wednesday to begin construction of the wall the very day two Mexican ministers began talks with his administration sparked anger in Mexico.

Pena Nieto and Trump are due to hold talks on Jan. 31 and he faced opposition calls on Wednesday to cancel his meeting.

Trump vowed to build the wall right at the start of his presidential campaign in June 2015, when he accused Mexico of sending rapists and drug runners over the border.

The American's threats to tear up a joint trade deal and impose hefty border taxes on Mexican goods have also battered the peso. But his comments on Wednesday that he wanted to see a strong Mexican economy lifted the currency to a three-week high.

The 63-year-old Lopez Obrador told his supporters that Pena Nieto should defend Mexicans when the two meet.

"Go and fight for liberty, represent our people with dignity and all human beings who dream of a just world," he said. "Defend the migrant Mexican workers, long live the immigrants!"

(Editing by Dave Graham and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-26

So it is OK for Mexico to build one on their Southern Border to keep immigrates from the South, but not OK for us to build one to keep them out. 

Mexicans are allowed to apply for immigration just like almost all other countries !!

42 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

That he wants to build a wall......well OK.  But that he expects someone else to pay for it.  Bloody nerve!!

Holding back AID money is one way to fund the wall.Why should The US give any money to Mexico ? The people get very little after the government takes the lion's share.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Ah the great part about being the opposition. Neato claims he will not meet with Trump this coming Tuesday. I am betting he will with bells on. There could be a lot of tariff on Mexican made cars coming into the US and Mexico desperately needs American natural gas theirs is in severe decline and they must service all those American factories that have settled there. Kind of a loose loose situation for him. Time to kiss the T ring. 

That he wants to build a wall......well OK.  But that he expects someone else to pay for it.  Bloody nerve!!

The people of the US will pay for the wall ... Trump thinks he will get the money back "sometime in the future" from tariffs or the renegotiation of NAFTA .

Well ... maybe...
Until then the people of the USA would pay.

This is all BS Talk by Trump anyway..
It's not in any budget .. or approved by Congress.
It will not be buily

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, gchurch259 said:

So it is OK for Mexico to build one on their Southern Border to keep immigrates from the South, but not OK for us to build one to keep them out. 

Mexicans are allowed to apply for immigration just like almost all other countries !!

The blokes a nutcase. What does he think it's got to do with the UN - diddly squat. The US isn't a member of the ICJ.

Besides which his claims are just daft. So if you want to break laws, commit crimes, become a criminal it's fine and shouldn't be prevented because it interferes with your human rights. What a plonker! And he wants to be President. 

So anyone and everyone can just enter Mexico as they please can they?

I just wonder if this wall is totally a physical structure, or a large improvement on fixing some of the existing wall, and putting in place a new version, of an electronic, wall, with means of some ground radar 

To detect the tunnel issue.  Think outside the box, maybe..

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The blokes a nutcase. What does he think it's got to do with the UN - diddly squat. The US isn't a member of the ICJ.

Besides which his claims are just daft. So if you want to break laws, commit crimes, become a criminal it's fine and shouldn't be prevented because it interferes with your human rights. What a plonker! And he wants to be President. 

So anyone and everyone can just enter Mexico as they please can they?

Actually, at the TJ border crossing in So Cal, you just walk through a revolving

gate and your in Mexico, not the same coming back.

rice555 

9 hours ago, namasata said:

The people of the US will pay for the wall ... Trump thinks he will get the money back "sometime in the future" from tariffs or the renegotiation of NAFTA .

Well ... maybe...

It will not be buily

Republican congress has passed funding for a wall three times in 2006 and in 2009 and in 2010. Democrats stopped it in 2007 when they took over and stripped out funding each time after that. 

They are gone. Money will be appropriated pronto and wall will be done before 2020. Count on it amigo.  

Diplomatic crisis. 

Great "work" trump!:post-4641-1156693976:

Only in office a few days ... 

God help us!

Mexico is right about this. Americans (with "help" from Russia) have "elected" a dangerous nutcase.

trump, the SUPER liar, claimed in a recent speech the cancellation was somehow "mutual" and agreed to. Total bunk. Neito cancelled and trump is lying to act like there isn't a diplomatic crisis that HE directly created.

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto cancels planned meeting with Trump

Enrique Krauze, a noted political analyst, said Peña Nieto should distance himself from the new U.S. president.

“Trump is a madman who will probably destroy himself,” he tweeted. “You have to gain time with patience, strength and dignity.”

“The uncertainty is over,” tweeted Javier Lozano, a PAN senator. “It is confirmed that we will have to deal with an arrogant and ignorant despot in the USA.”

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-trump-20170126-story.html

Edited by Jingthing

9 hours ago, namasata said:

Well ... maybe...

It will not be buily

The wall will get built.   You do know that in some places, there's already a wall, right?  Actually more of an, admittedly porous, "barrier":  actual walls, fences (now about 650 mi worth), and sensor systems filling in some of the many gaps.  So I see it as more of a process of "completion and improvement".  If the American people DO end up paying, it'll be worth it.  I expect there are some prison populations that would LOVE to be out working on it, and it might help put a dent in the unemployment lines.  I doubt "Congressional approval" will be a problem, although the New Party of No will of course do its obstructionist best.  Trump's not waiting for the paint to dry while going about keeping his campaign promises.   'A refreshing change.

Want to talk about BS?   Let's talk about Obama's campaign promises (you know, like "you can keep your doctor" and "you can keep your insurance") vs what HE'd done a week into HIS first term OR his ultimate fulfillment rate!

Republican congress has passed funding for a wall three times in 2006 and in 2009 and in 2010. Democrats stopped it in 2007 when they took over and stripped out funding each time after that. 

They are gone. Money will be appropriated pronto and wall will be done before 2020. Count on it amigo.  

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I don't think it will slow the people coming across much. Why not build one on the other border too. Make it OBVIOUS that the USA is a walled prison.
When they start trying to keep the people IN the USA .. instead of out .. then I will worry.

I hope more pragmatic congressmen carefully consider tariffs on Mexican imports.

Generally 40% of imported Mexcian products are US originated parts. So If the US places (for example) a 30% tariff on Mexican imports, the US is in effect placing a tariff on US originated parts and succeeding to make the whole product very expensive (if not unsaleable) in the US - thereby hurting American businesses and employment.

On the other hand Mexico can retaliate against US tariffs with a Mexican 30% tariff on imported US parts used in Mexican products intended for export to the US - in effect causing the US to place a tariff on American manufactured parts!

A Trade War between the US and significant trade partners like Mexico and Canada needs to be carefully considered for inadvertant adverse effects on American enterprise and employment. While Trump's protectionist slogans might "play well in Peoria," in the world market they may harm the American economy.

18 hours ago, gchurch259 said:

Question/-Does Mexico have a wall on its southern border with Guatemala ??

Answer/-- No..........Google

Answer/ ---No, The Mexico border is the international border between Guatemala and Mexico. ... There is no wall on the border, ........ Wikipedia

Answer --No, The southern border of Mexico has been historically non guarded ........Quora

But Hey what would they know...............:coffee1:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=does+mexico+have+a+wall+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gws_rd=cr&ei=bKuKWMStLYHca7iQrZAH#q=does+mexico+have+a+wall+on+its+southern+border+with+guatemala

17 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I am betting he will with bells on.

One of his "bells" may be to remind Trump that there is a legally binding trade agreement between the US and Mexico that defines application of tariffs between the two countries. Such an agreement cannot be immediately altered or overruled by Presidential order but requires US Congress to repeal or amend the law. Mexico could potentially file suit in US courts seeking damages ultimately paid by the US taxpayer.

I'm sure the Republican majority will support Trump's agenda in a general perspective to get a new treaty. But they would be wise to understand the decades-old complex trade relationship between the US and Mexico that encompasses Mexico's contribution to America's national (borders are not one-sided) and economic security before disrupting the current treaty.

17 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Mexico desperately needs American natural gas

More than half of all U.S. natural gas exports go to Mexico since April 2015. In fact Mexico's need for natural gas has doubled since 2009. To meet Mexico's energy needs, the US is building 12 pipeline projects. The American economy benefits from this export.

But the increase in Mexico's energy needs is due to Mexico's successful economic growth. If Trump's trade strategy too greatly stalls the Mexcian economy, the US will too be damaged. With a shrinking economy Mexico will need less imported US energy resources, US pipeline delivery systems to Mexico will become underutilized (aka unprofitable) and American businesses stand to suffer economic contraction. 

As an aside the American company Phillips 66 owns a subsidiary Pipeline LLC that manages more than 18,000 miles of strategically placed crude oil, raw NGL, LPG, natural gas and petroleum products pipeline systems across the United States. Ironcially, Trump owns stock in Phillips 66 and himself might be economically damaged by lower share value should the US threaten Mexico with reduced NG exports. Trump might soon hearing from Phillips 66 CEO  about protecting the company's business and employment.

Edited by Srikcir
typo

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

One of his "bells" may be to remind Trump that there is a legally binding trade agreement between the US and Mexico that defines application of tariffs between the two countries. Such an agreement cannot be immediately altered or overruled by Presidential order but requires US Congress to repeal or amend the law. Mexico could potentially file suit in US courts seeking damages ultimately paid by the US taxpayer.

I'm sure the Republican majority will support Trump's agenda in a general perspective to get a new treaty. But they would be wise to understand the decades-old complex trade relationship between the US and Mexico that encompasses Mexico's contribution to America's national (borders are not one-sided) and economic security before disrupting the current treaty.

I lived in Mexico for 10 years and well as much as I dislike Trump he has a point. Plants have closed down and moved to Mexico to take advantage of the cheap labor and from I saw up close lax pollution rules. The cheap labor differential is pocketed by business and the product shipped back into the US at the same price as made in the US products. The US is an escape valve for Mexicans to flee to because there are no jobs there that pay a livable wage. From what I can see the US gains some "fresh" vegetables of dubious quality and not much else. PS sorry forgot about the drugs that Mexico imports to the US illegally in return for illegal guns to kill people. 

Edited by elgordo38

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:55 AM, namasata said:

Well ... maybe...

It will not be buily

The wall will get built.   You do know that in some places, there's already a wall, right?  Actually more of an, admittedly porous, "barrier":  actual walls, fences (now about 650 mi worth), and sensor systems filling in some of the many gaps.  So I see it as more of a process of "completion and improvement".  If the American people DO end up paying, it'll be worth it.  I expect there are some prison populations that would LOVE to be out working on it, and it might help put a dent in the unemployment lines.  I doubt "Congressional approval" will be a problem, although the New Party of No will of course do its obstructionist best.  Trump's not waiting for the paint to dry while going about keeping his campaign promises.   'A refreshing change.

Want to talk about BS?   Let's talk about Obama's campaign promises (you know, like "you can keep your doctor" and "you can keep your insurance") vs what HE'd done a week into HIS first term OR his ultimate fulfillment rate!

This entire debate has got to be the silliest one anyone's ever had.  What possible reason could anyone have for objecting to what is simply a means of preventing - p-r-e-v-e-n-t-I-n-g!; NOT punishing, NOT persecuting, NOT causing any physical injury - what can only be termed a crime.  It's ILLEGAL to enter the country by just traipsing across the border!  It's illegal to do it here; it's illegal to do it most anywhere else in the world.  For the president of Mexico to go whining about it is to be an accomplice to it, and a co-conspirator and racketeer.  For anyone else to object to it is to be supportive of a widespread criminal activity.  Unless you are such a criminal supporter, you have to agree that obviously something has to be done, since there are already millions of these illegals in the U.S.  You would prefer that INS go rooting them out years after they get here and years into an illegal existence in the U.S.?   (And we know the answer to that...)  So obviously, if you're whining about the wall, you want the illegal immigration to continue, and are essentially a criminal conspirator.  Either that or you're an illegal yourself.   Either way, why should any rational person takes such opinions seriously?  Trump is simply making the law of the land enforceable; the first president who's really done so in a generation.

So go ahead.  Keep on with the "angry white men" babble.  I'm all for it!  It helped lose dems the last election.  It's a great start on losing the next one.

Edited by hawker9000

This entire debate has got to be the silliest one anyone's ever had.  What possible reason could anyone have for objecting to what is simply a means of preventing - p-r-e-v-e-n-t-I-n-g!; NOT punishing, NOT persecuting, NOT causing any physical injury - what can only be termed a crime.  It's ILLEGAL to enter the country by just traipsing across the border!  It's illegal to do it here; it's illegal to do it most anywhere else in the world.  For the president of Mexico to go whining about it is to be an accomplice to it, and a co-conspirator and racketeer.  For anyone else to object to it is to be supportive of a widespread criminal activity.  Unless you are such a criminal supporter, you have to agree that obviously something has to be done, since there are already millions of these illegals in the U.S.  You would prefer that INS go rooting them out years after they get here and years into an illegal existence in the U.S.?   (And we know the answer to that...)  So obviously, if you're whining about the wall, you want the illegal immigration to continue, and are essentially a criminal conspirator.  Either that or you're an illegal yourself.   Either way, why should any rational person takes such opinions seriously?  Trump is simply making the law of the land enforceable; the first president who's really done so in a generation.

So go ahead.  Keep on with the "angry white men" babble.  I'm all for it!  It helped lose dems the last election.  It's a great start on losing the next one.

The tariffs Trump is proposing will cause a trade war (if passed by Congress) and YOU will end up paying one way or the other. Mexico certainly won't pay.
Yes. I did know there were sections of the border that have walls and fences.
A lot of good they do..[emoji4] ..

If trump (and the silly trump voters who bought the lies of the CON MAN) actually believe the great Wall of trump is a good idea, it needs to be paid for by the American taxpayers. Congress should be honest about that. Fund or not but no fantasies about forcing Mexico to pay for it. Mexico is NOT going to pay for it, nor SHOULD they pay for it. 

I'd be the first to acknowledge that Obama didn't project a particularly powerful image of the USA abroad and other nations like Russia jumped on that. But going the other way, so extremist, to full on insane clown fascist that demands  "Great Wall" that you can see from space and isn't willing to pay for it ... do you really think that's good for the USA and it's place in the world? 

Edited by Jingthing