Police Chief’s ‘advisory’ cash from booze company deemed totally legit

snoop1130

Sanit . . . who also sits on the National Legislative Assembly (NLA)

Sounds like the lobby system is alive and well in Thailand. The NLA, according to Wikipedia, "rubber stamps" the junta's decision. Useful to have an ace in the hole.

4 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Sanit . . . who also sits on the National Legislative Assembly (NLA)

Sounds like the lobby system is alive and well in Thailand. The NLA, according to Wikipedia, "rubber stamps" the junta's decision. Useful to have an ace in the hole.

And NLA "members" draw a very healthy monthly salary, and stipends for attending countless meetings and sitting on multiple committees. And they get to employ five family members "experts" on their staff.

There really is no end to the institutionalized corruption here, most of which benefits the ruling classes and it's judged to be "Acceptable".

It's only when the raggedy upstarts try to horn in on the trough that the amart starts blowing their whistles.

Edited by mtls2005

What a surprise! Wonder how much of his 50,000 that's going to cost him each month?

Now we know that there is no way that senior RTP officers can, in all seriousness, be affronted that Thais simply don't believe their protestations of innocence in allegations of corruption and investigative incompetence.

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

And NLA "members" draw a very healthy monthly salary, and stipends for attending countless meetings and sitting on multiple committees. And they get to employ five family members "experts" on their staff.

There really is no end to the institutionalized corruption here, most of which benefits the ruling classes and it's judged to be "Acceptable".

It's only when the raggedy upstarts try to horn in on the trough that the amart starts blowing their whistles.

'... NLA "members" draw a very healthy monthly salary, and stipends for attending countless meetings and sitting on multiple committees.' Or not.

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Small scale sponsorship, just for logos on local police cars to help pay for them, was creeping into some U.K. Police forces, but even that has been severely restricted due to accusations of conflict of interest.

When a chief police officer here even publicly declares a payment which shows a clear conflict of interest, it demonstrates the extent of the reach of corruption when his police force says it is legitimate. If there are no policies against it, then there should be. What hope is there of stamping out lower level tea money corruption if the bosses are indulging in it at high levels. 

It reinforces my view that the time has come for a separation of the police and the armed forces from business and politics as is mandated in most developed countries. Their job is to protect the public and defend the country, not to run airlines, banks, bars and other commercial enterprises and civil government. If there is no separation, corruption flourishes . There is no incentive for law enforcement to deal with illegality which will affect their income.

i would look to the new King and the PM, himself a product of the Army, to demonstrate their commitment to progress, unity and democracy by starting the process of demilitarizing and removing the police from the commercial and political sectors. They could also change the system where everyone from teachers to tax collectors have quasi military ceremonial uniforms.

They don't say there are no policies against it. They say he isn't breaking the ones they do have. Seems reasonable, given the RTP's policies are not aimed at addressing efficiency, competence, ethics, morals,honesty, et al.

Now you know why Thais do not Trust the Police They know that the police are in the back pocket of a lot of companies and others

This is the route of corruption The police are not their to enrich themselves They are there to serve the people but this is not the case in Thailand

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

Now you know why Thais do not Trust the Police They know that the police are in the back pocket of a lot of companies and others

This is the route of corruption The police are not their to enrich themselves They are there to serve the people but this is not the case in Thailand

Yes they serve the people the elite.

Among all the other dazzling incompetencies, the inability to save face during a scandal (when saving face it is a national pre-occupation) simply tops everything. 

Some say things will never change....I think it will take time, but they will change for sure as the middle class here becomes increasingly educated, well-traveled, politically savvy, and generally aware...

12 hours ago, smedly said:

the Royal Thai Police announced that Sanit isn’t breaking any police policies by taking a monthly handout from the country’s biggest alcohol company.

Prayuth Chan (O) Cha, is this really acceptable to you that someone in a High ranking government public office is receiving a monthly Salary from a private company that is involved in this sort of business.............only in Thailand

On a scale of 1-10 this ranks pretty much near a 10 for blatant in your face corruption, people who are tasked to uphold the law should not be in the pocket of any business let alone one that might be looking for favours, what exactly qualifies this man to be of any interest to this company, does he hold some sort of business degree ?

Just another example of what is fundamentally wrong with this country - caught drunk driving - oh not to worry the Police chief is in my back pocket - one phone call and it will be sorted

If this sort of bull is allowed to continue here then nothing will ever improve - 3rd world hub of Asia

Note their wording, "not breaking any police policies". They are not commenting on whether its a conflict of interest or might be breaking some "non police" rules. Isn't that for the Ombudsman to determine?

A prime example of how the laws of Thailand are what the elite wants them to be. Here we have a police chief getting a handsome monthly "stipend" from a big private company without suffering any consequences while a few years ago a PM from the wrong side who appeared on a cooking show got forced out of office for getting paid (peanuts) for it.

2 hours ago, Longstaff said:

Among all the other dazzling incompetencies, the inability to save face during a scandal (when saving face it is a national pre-occupation) simply tops everything. 

Some say things will never change....I think it will take time, but they will change for sure as the middle class here becomes increasingly educated, well-traveled, politically savvy, and generally aware...

Not in your life time , even if you are only a new born ...

8 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Small scale sponsorship, just for logos on local police cars to help pay for them, was creeping into some U.K. Police forces, but even that has been severely restricted due to accusations of conflict of interest.

When a chief police officer here even publicly declares a payment which shows a clear conflict of interest, it demonstrates the extent of the reach of corruption when his police force says it is legitimate. If there are no policies against it, then there should be. What hope is there of stamping out lower level tea money corruption if the bosses are indulging in it at high levels. 

It reinforces my view that the time has come for a separation of the police and the armed forces from business and politics as is mandated in most developed countries. Their job is to protect the public and defend the country, not to run airlines, banks, bars and other commercial enterprises and civil government. If there is no separation, corruption flourishes . There is no incentive for law enforcement to deal with illegality which will affect their income.

i would look to the new King and the PM, himself a product of the Army, to demonstrate their commitment to progress, unity and democracy by starting the process of demilitarizing and removing the police from the commercial and political sectors. They could also change the system where everyone from teachers to tax collectors have quasi military ceremonial uniforms.

If only.

The police spokesman said (and this is classic):   “This is his personal issue and he may have to decide what to do himself,”

Well, well, well. So in Thailand, when it comes to ethics and morality and corruption, it is a 'personal issue' and we can 'decide what to do ourselves'.

So if I want to speak out against a certain type of government - I can !

If I want to slag off a certain line of Thai personages - that's fine, I can (it's just my personal grip and issue).

If I want to use the D word in full regarding this 'government'  - that's just fine - as it's up to me to decide.

Except that everyone knows that it is isn't. Not here. Not under this Orwellian junta.

But standards love being doubled here - don't they just!