Long term stay, under 50 gay couple.

6 hours ago, Canceraid said:

Hi Alex Rich, wishing both of you all the best in both your endeavours, please do not forget to post under the Pattaya Forum of Thaivisa in three years time or less,what had happened to the two of you. Thanks. 

Sorry, but I'm not the OP ... I'm just one of the many TV users offering these guys some advice.

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

As someone whose lived here since he was 28 and no hope of a retirement option despite ample funds I would say.. 

Get the elite.. If 500k seems like too high a cost.. You may want to consider if you have enough funds for your plans. 

The sale of a house in UK better be a grand one.. If you expect to sustain 2 westerners, for decades, in a country which is rapidly getting richer. I wouldnt consider it without a mil GBP banked, sure for a holiday, even a long one, but not as a 'for life' jump. 

If it were me, putting 10M Baht in the Bank here would be a better investment than "spending" 500K Baht.  To get through 9 years on Elite will cost 1M Baht.  Banks pay interest, and you can take your money and leave any time you wish if using an investment.

In either case, I'd come on an METV and try at least ~9 months living here full-time before making any major-money decisions - maybe longer.  The long-term options do not go away by trying shorter-term options first.

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If it were me, putting 10M Baht in the Bank here would be a better investment than "spending" 500K Baht.  To get through 9 years on Elite will cost 1M Baht.  Banks pay interest, and you can take your money and leave any time you wish if using an investment.

In either case, I'd come on an METV and try at least ~9 months living here full-time before making any major-money decisions - maybe longer.  The long-term options do not go away by trying shorter-term options first.

There's also a 20 year card for 1 million THB called "Elite Superiority Extension".

The only difference I can see between that and the 20 year "Elite Ultimate Privilege" card for 2 million is that the former doesn't include free airport transfers + free annual health checkup. 1 million baht is quite a lot to pay to get "free" airport transfers added.

I am on the 500k / 5 year "Elite Easy Access" card but if the 1 million / 20 year card had been available when I got mine (it wasn't) then I would've gotten that one instead.

2 hours ago, Stanley78 said:

There's also a 20 year card for 1 million THB called "Elite Superiority Extension".

The only difference I can see between that and the 20 year "Elite Ultimate Privilege" card for 2 million is that the former doesn't include free airport transfers + free annual health checkup. 1 million baht is quite a lot to pay to get "free" airport transfers added.

I am on the 500k / 5 year "Elite Easy Access" card but if the 1 million / 20 year card had been available when I got mine (it wasn't) then I would've gotten that one instead.

Yes, me too - in fact I might go for this 20 year option when my current 5 years is up but that's not until mid 2019 so who knows what will happen between now and then.

Whatever you do, make sure your plan is based on the current situation.  I'm seeing some suggestions that probably worked well to keep people in Thailand for ages, but are no longer valid options.   The loopholes are getting smaller over the past few years.  

But there are still valid options that aren't loopholes.  There's some great advice as well as some obsolete advice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Whatever you do, make sure your plan is based on the current situation.  I'm seeing some suggestions that probably worked well to keep people in Thailand for ages, but are no longer valid options.   The loopholes are getting smaller over the past few years.  

But there are still valid options that aren't loopholes.  There's some great advice as well as some obsolete advice.

exactly all the loopholes are being looked at and they are trying to change things to correct this. When I first came to Thailand in the 90's it was so easy.  Visa operators just used to take your passport to the boarder get stamped in and out while you stay at home.

Back to back visa runs where not an issue. however allot less expats were around at the time too and pattaya was nothing like it is now.  Then around 2003 or so the crack downs started. No more just give your passport and stay home you had to now physically leave. then the crack down on how many back to back, then education visas, etc.  I can only imagine things getting harder for those under 50. 

OP I would really look at the elite card. Good Luck!!

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for the mountain of info and advice. Very much appreciated. :)

Just to clarify, there is a small chance that we would be reliant on existing capital, but the likelihood is that my partner will receive early retirement imminently which will give us another lump sum plus a regular income. That said, I must crunch the numbers based on what we already have. Either way, he would be due to retire in five years anyway.

With regard to me, I have worked in the NHS for many years and only recently resigned after reaching breaking point stresswise. Both myself and my OH had parents who died at 55 so we decided to take stock and assess what our priorities are. It's not a case of laziness. I'd be happy to work / start a business if the opportunity presented itself.

Security-wise, (jak2002003) the majority of our capital would be in my name split unevenly between UK and Thai accounts. I'm also secure in the marriage. He's been my rock for over 20 years. I do hope you guys are doing ok now(?)

We're not jumping too quickly. Just exploring the routes in detail. :)

Re a couple of comments, bigotry exists in every country and from my experience it is far more prevalent in the U.K. than in Thailand. I'm quite adept to dealing with idiots if needed. :)

I would suggest that the best option would be to go to Cambodia for a few years until your visa situation is easier (that is, when you are both at, or approaching 50). Sure, Cambodia isn't as 'westernised' as Thailand, but the visa situation is a lot easier, and if you were based in PP, you could spend a good part of the year in Thailand anyway on tourist visas. Flights are cheap and quick. Personally, I'd choose Cambodia over Thailand anyway (it's kind of 'Wild West' compared to Thailand, which I really like), but as my wife is Thai, that's not really an option for me. But in your situation, I'd certainly be looking at that possibility.

• Like 1

I agree considering Cambodia is a good idea.

The couple could rent places in both nations, and mix and match.

The older one could soon get a Thai retirement visa status and younger one could get legal status in Cambodia and just be a tourist in Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I agree considering Cambodia is a good idea

The OP's opening comments included this phrase: "My partner is almost 50 and it looks like he may be granted early retirement on health grounds". Are you seriously recommending Cambodia's health facilities are worth serious consideration for someone in that situation?

20 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

The OP's opening comments included this phrase: "My partner is almost 50 and it looks like he may be granted early retirement on health grounds". Are you seriously recommending Cambodia's health facilities are worth serious consideration for someone in that situation?

That rather depends on how critical his health situation is. Maybe he just has a bad back which makes it difficult for him to sit at a desk. And Bangkok is only an hour and a half away from PP. If he was living in the sticks in Thailand, it would probably take him longer than that to get to a decent hospital.

7 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

That rather depends on how critical his health situation is. Maybe he just has a bad back which makes it difficult for him to sit at a desk. And Bangkok is only an hour and a half away from PP. If he was living in the sticks in Thailand, it would probably take him longer than that to get to a decent hospital.

I suggested the older one establish legal long stay via retirement visa in THAILAND and the younger one establish legal long stay in the Cambodian visa system. They could both rent separate apartments and travel to be with each (or other places) depending. No, they wouldn't be living together full time before the younger one reaches 50. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I suggested the older one establish residence via retirement visa in THAILAND and the younger one establish residence in the Cambodian visa system. They could both rent separate apartments and travel to be with each (or other places) depending. No, they wouldn't be living together full time before the younger one reaches 50. 

How would those costs compare with the younger one simply buying a 5-year Thailand Elite card?

Right ,do not sell your house , come to Thailand to stay for few yrs first to see if it is good for you, Place suitable for a lot of people but may not be good for us. Living in a place not the same as you come for holiday. Also go to Burma to find out the place too. Not Philippine pls.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks All for your input. :) Sorry it's taken me a while to reply. Family stuff been keeping me occupied.

I wouldn't want to live apart from my OH for any length of time. I think we will get tourist visas for us both at first which will effectively give us three months without having to leave. That'll give us time to ensure we're happy with the condo etc. The condo we have organised is just a one bed in Jomtien. It's a lease with an option to buy.

Re being sure about basing ourselves there. We are sure. We've spent approx' three months a year in Thailand for many many years and just returned from a three month stint albeit with some jumping around. The location is ideal being inbetween three airports and with good services around.

Re the house. It is now up for sale. Regardless whether we stay in Thailand or not, we don't plan on staying here anyway. The cash can sit in the bank until we're sure where we want to spend most of our time. We just feel now is the right time to move on in some direction we've always considered.

Am I able to apply for the Elite whilst in Thailand following the expiry of the TV?

Thanks. :)

1 hour ago, Feel The Sun said:

Am I able to apply for the Elite whilst in Thailand following the expiry of the TV?

Thanks. :)

You can apply for the Thailand Elite membership while in Thailand, I did this. There is no need to leave, you will need to go to Chaeng Wattana to get the visa inserted into your passport. I suggest using the 'concierge service' for this, just ask them about it once you've paid and they will handle everything for you.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'following the expiry of the TV', you will need to apply for your membership, have it accepted, make the payment and then go and have your new visa inserted into your passport prior to the expiration of whatever visa / visa exempt stamp you're using at that time.

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You can apply for the Thailand Elite membership while in Thailand, I did this. There is no need to leave, you will need to go to Chaeng Wattana to get the visa inserted into your passport. I suggest using the 'concierge service' for this, just ask them about it once you've paid and they will handle everything for you.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'following the expiry of the TV', you will need to apply for your membership, have it accepted, make the payment and then go and have your new visa inserted into your passport prior to the expiration of whatever visa / visa exempt stamp you're using at that time.

How long did it take after applying, (online?) before you were accepted and had to make payment?

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:04 PM, jak2002003 said:

I have a similar situation to the OP.

I am 40, my partner is 60

We are married in the UK, but that counts for nothing in Thailand.

We came here when I was 30....Came here on multiple entry O visa for one year.   I did teaching after that visa (did the TEFL course in UK before coming here).  After a few years of that I got a serious health issue which resulted in me loosing most of my vision, and was not able to travel to the schools, so I then switched to the ELITE visa.. 5 year one. 

By this time my partner had his retirement visa.

I would warn you that it can be frustrating here with the visas for younger people.  Also you won't get any legal help with your same sex marriage.  We went through a couple of bad patches, and I was left with no legal rights and going back to UK with no home, job or money... as its all tied up here in our house... very scary!!  Be careful.  I would not do it again if I had the choice.  In fact I want to go back to the UK, but am now stuck here with a house we can't sell, and no rights to my own money if I leave here.

Why can't you sell the house?

You're doing the right thing by renting in Thailand for a year. Good move.

If at all possible, consider not selling your house in your home country for a while. Rent it out and use the income to help fund your lifestyle here.

Buying property here is easy. Selling it can be difficult; in some cases it can take years. There is also a reasonable likelihood that you will not make a lot of profit on the sale of your property here.  All the while your property at home will be hopefully increasing in value.

It's something to think about. 

• Like 1

One Elite Card will get 6 years if you enter Thailand at the end of the visa. 500,000 Baht is a alot up front but it works out to 283 baht per day.

If you can't afford that you should not consider living abroad my opinion but in our case the Elite Visa was the only choice being under 50 flying out constantly (I don't work in Thailand) and getting hassled at the airport.

I have a question that seems on topic enough for this thread, so here goes.

So you can buy a 500K Elite Card in Thailand and just stay in Thailand for five entire years, without any requirement at all to travel out occasionally? Or if not, how does it work? I assume you need to do 90 day reports. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have a question that seems on topic enough for this thread, so here goes.

So you can buy a 500K Elite Card in Thailand and just stay in Thailand for five entire years, without any requirement at all to travel out occasionally? Or if not, how does it work? I assume you need to do 90 day reports. 

If you do not leave and re-enter for a year you can get a one year extension at immigration for the usual fee of 1900 baht. Easy to do with no financial proof or such. A member got one in 2014 has not left the country by and is on his 2nd extension.

Yes you have to do 90 day reports. 

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

If you do not leave and re-enter for a year you can get a one year extension at immigration for the usual fee of 1900 baht. Easy to do with no financial proof or such. A member got one in 2014 has not left the country by and is on his 2nd extension.

Yes you have to do 90 day reports. 

Aha. Very interesting. 

Without showing any financial qualifications or anything? 

So what if you leave and reenter before one year? You get an additional year each time automatically until the five years ends?

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Aha. Very interesting. 

Without showing any financial qualifications or anything? 

So what if you leave and reenter before one year? You get an additional year each time automatically until the five years ends?

No financial proof. Just the visa and last entry stamp.

Just leave and re-enter the country to get a new one year entry up to the date the visa expires.

• Like 1

This is quite interesting. 

Here's a loaded question. 

If you buy that 5 year thingie today under the current rules, is it "guaranteed" to be good with those conditions for the 5 years?

In other words, would any future financial requirements or health insurance requirements effect the use of that visa? 

OK, an impossible question perhaps, but assuming no guarantee, doesn't that reduce the perceived "security" value of that offer? 

I get that 500K isn't a massive fortune, but it's not spare change either, so if you bought that thing and then the rules changed after using it for one year and you couldn't meet them ... not a great deal, eh? 

Not only an academic question. I might consider this option myself.

Edited by Jingthing

Nobody has mentioned the screamingly obvious which is the devaluation of the Pound against the Baht by 20%. Now is not the time to move savings to Thailand. Wait!  Another thing, if you are buying property in Pattaya, you'll be paying foreigner prices, for a low quality build which will depreciated in  value year on year. The opposite of the UK, where property is nearly always a good investment. Nobody buys old places here. The potential for you guys to lose a fortune is huge.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you buy that 5 year thingie today under the current rules, is it "guaranteed" to be good with those conditions for the 5 years?

In other words, would any future financial requirements or health insurance requirements effect the use of that visa? 

OK, an impossible question perhaps, but assuming no guarantee, doesn't that reduce the perceived "security" value of that offer? 

Once the visa is issued and in your passport it would never go away no matter what happened to the Elite program. The worst case is that you could lose some of the perks. Been discussed in topics about Thai  Elite.

The visa once issued would still allow entries until it expires. I cannot imagine how any financial requirements would be imposed.

Medical insurance could come into play if they required it for entry to the country (not likely to happen IMO).

• Like 1