Trump bars door to refugees, visitors from seven nations

rooster59

1 minute ago, F4UCorsair said:

I 'd  prefer to have my eyes opened by his performance over 4 years than by reading a book written by journalists from the WP, PRIOR to being elected President, Including back as far as his childhood!!!.

Journalists' conduct during his campaign was scandalous, so holding them Up as people who may give a balanced view Is naive at best.

See me In a few years when an assessment can be reliably made.

The likelihood of his being there in 4 years is questionable if he stays the course he has chosen. He will anger enough citizens who will climb all over their representatives and those reps will see it as a matter of political survival to break from Trump.

There are two books, one of which is written by a large team of reporters, and one of which is written by an investigative journalist who has known and written about Trump for over thirty years. He has interviewed Trump on many occasions and it was only with the publication of the book that Trump turned on him and put him on the enemies list.

Both of the books disclose how completely devoid Trump is of any sense of integrity, and possesses a very warped character.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North and South Korea have a 4 Km wide "no mans land" separating them.  Surely a 12 inch thick wall seems appropriate for a known narco-state.  Last time I was in the capital of Sonora, three hours from the border, I was drinking at the Freedom Nightclub (till 4) with a huge American Flag on the wall.  Almost all Mexicans, and their viewpoint seemed to be that is what the criminals and low class that insisted on entering and working illegally in the US.  They like America, but they like their home, too.  One of the few places I have seen with as many skin whitening products as LOS.  Arizona, alone does 2 billion USD in trade with Mexico...all coming through well established points of entry.

26 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I 'd  prefer to have my eyes opened by his performance over 4 years than by reading a book written by journalists from the leftist Washington Post, PRIOR to being elected President, Including back as far as his childhood!!!.

Journalists' conduct during his campaign was scandalous, so holding them Up as people who may give a half decent or balanced view Is naive at best.

See me In a few years when an assessment can be reliably made.

That's right. Ignore the obvious narcissism. Ignore the inexplicable obsession with popularity and crowd size even after he's already won. Ignore his criticisms of democratically elected leaders while praising autocrats. Ignore unconstitutional Executive Orders. Ignore his outright lies. Ignore loose talk of using nukes. Ignore the threats to start trade wars.

As Braveheart said to his rabble army as The English charged at them: "Hold. Hold. Hold. Hold. Hold. Hold. Hold. Hold. Hold. Hold. Hold. Hold. Hold...Oh sh!t, they're on top of us...arrghh!"

IMG_1147.JPG

20 hours ago, jackh said:

The Donald has done it again!  Such good news. He could have added a few more countries, but all in all a very good start.

Like the Saudis who actually attacked the states on 9/11?

21 hours ago, WaywardWind said:

Excellent? Not even close...

It is a disgusting short-sighted resolution to an issue which simply does not exist.

The largest group of individuals involved in terrorist attacks in the US were US citizens (77); the second largest group were UK citizens (33). A total of only 5 individuals of 174 arrested/convicted of terrorist activity in the US in the 12 years after 9/11 were from those even countries on the ban list.

Nothing more than red meat for his rabid xenophobic disciples.

What it will do is get US outposts - embassies, consulates, NGOs, etc., and yes, Trump properties, attacked abroad. He is creating more terrorists with this nonsense, and people will die because of these orders.

And how many of the 77 + 33 were muslim or of muslim descent?

17 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Trump does what he promised during his election campaign. (Instead of playing golf). The US elected him. Why so surprised?

Even if you voted for his racist rhetoric, that's not the promise he's keeping. He is banning refugees who have already been extreme-vetted while NOT banning travelers from the countries where terrorists who attacked America have been  known to have come from.

Which is not to say I'd like him to impose more bans. What I'd like is for his supporters to open their eyes and see that they've been played. Trump's OK with Muslims if they're giving him profits, hence no bans on countries where he has business interests and where terrorists who have attacked America have actually come from.

He is playing on the bigots' bigotry and they are falling for his theatrics.

They are graduating from being deplorable to being deplorable fools. Trump University would be proud.

4 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

Does that matter? They would be a citizen of either the US or the UK.

If you think so that their religion or national origin matters, than you and I are on very different pages and US law is on my page.

19 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:
22 hours ago, WaywardWind said:

It is a disgusting short-sighted resolution to an issue which simply does not exist.

The largest group of individuals involved in terrorist attacks in the US were US citizens (77); the second largest group were UK citizens (33). A total of only 5 individuals of 174 arrested/convicted of terrorist activity in the US in the 12 years after 9/11 were from those even countries on the ban list.

What it will do is get US outposts - embassies, consulates, NGOs, etc., and yes, Trump properties, attacked abroad. He is creating more terrorists with this nonsense, and people will die because of these orders.

What if they are Muslim? Does it follow that all Muslims should be suspect? Does being killed by Muslims make you deader than being killed by White extremists? 

The fact is, you are seven times as likely to be killed by a right wing extremist than by a Muslim terrorist.

https://thinkprogress.org/you-are-more-than-7-times-as-likely-to-be-killed-by-a-right-wing-extremist-than-by-muslim-terrorists-417f3c3461db#.ejtf3ingz

Should all whites be suspect now?

True. Ironically the "bully boy" backed down on the idea about safe zones in Syria. Why did "little Donnie" backdown? Because "big brother" Putin WARNED him not to pursue safe zones in Syria. Trump must be impeached. 

2 hours ago, Thakkar said:

Thanks. I bought Trump Revealed on my Knidle earlier today. It's fascinating. Trump supporters should really read it, so they know the man they're supporting. It's regrettable that reporters are only now doing the jobs they should've been doing during the primaries and the election. But I guess email server management stories were more important.

Do you really think it would have made a difference? Certainly not with any of the American expats that I know.

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

He's definitely insane and he's definitely an authoritarian demagogue. But I disagree that it's a sure thing that he can be so quickly stopped or that permanent damage can be prevented. trump is one of the biggest tests of American democracy in our history and there are no guarantees we will pass this test. 

I totally agree Jingthing. The "reds" aka republicans have the power - which is the reason for their existence. Currently I feel The U.S. has not passed many quizzes so it will be difficult to pass "the test."  Now the minority group of the popular-vote LOOSER is in charge. ????? GEEZEUS.

1 hour ago, alocacoc said:

Trump does what he promised during his election campaign. (Instead of playing golf). The US elected him. Why so surprised?

They didnt take him seriously. Then, and even now. He's done more in these 7 days than a crook like Hillary would have achieved. Had she won, she'd be on the phone right about now to all the CEOs who bankrolled her, asking them for their wish list.

10 minutes ago, pegman said:

Do you really think it would have made a difference? Certainly not with any of the American expats that I know.

Unlike you, I do not have irrefutable, rock-solid anecdotal evidence from "American expats that I know"

But, according to exit poll data of people who made up their minds in the final week of the election in key states, the bogus letter from Comey did affect their decision. This doesn't even take into account the people who decided not to vote because of that letter which was widely covered by the press.

It's impossible to know if that changed the ultimate results, Just as I can't know if my life would've been even better than it's been if my mom had married Humphrey Bogart instead of my deadbeat dad.

19 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Showing compassion when an element of risk exists. There's no algorithm for that, Donald.

Canada's leader and Canada are true world leaders. My country - was but under popular-vote LOOSER it isn't. I wouldn't be shocked if the draft dodger Donald brings a desk into the oval office for his bromancer Putin. 

To bad the statistics don't give the religion of the terrorist

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Totally. 

I'm hoping that very soon it will be very hard to find an American that admits to voting for him! You know, like in post-war Germany, but before trump does such damage. 

Unfortunately Congress and the Senate are republicans who wouldn't think about crossing the vindictive baby man. I expect the worse - more gerrymandering - attacks of media - and "holding hands" with the Russian dictator.

I've also come to believe the electoral college ought to be ended and republicans don't care a/b America or democracy. 

What trump is doing is fascism theater ... showing Americans and the world he really is a horrible moronic bully and he really doesn't care if he shows blatant financial corruption by leaving out nations where he has business interests. There is no doubt in my mind MORE Americans will be in danger from this than are secured. He's the type of strong man leader that wants to be FEARED  and doesn't mind at all if he is HATED, even by the majority of his own people. They are his enemies, and the enemies of the trumpissta true believers.

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What trump is doing is fascism theater ... showing Americans and the world he really is a horrible moronic bully and he really doesn't care if he shows blatant financial corruption by leaving out nations where he has business interests. There is no doubt in my mind MORE Americans will be in danger from this than are secured. He's the type of strong man leader that wants to be FEARED  and doesn't mind at all if he is HATED, even by the majority of his own people. They are his enemies, and the enemies of the trumpissta true believers -- the majority of Americans.

Hysteria and hyperbole.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

What trump is doing is fascism theater ... showing Americans and the world he really is a horrible moronic bully and he really doesn't care if he shows blatant financial corruption by leaving out nations where he has business interests. There is no doubt in my mind MORE Americans will be in danger from this than are secured. He's the type of strong man leader that wants to be FEARED  and doesn't mind at all if he is HATED, even by the majority of his own people. They are his enemies, the majority of Americans.

The part about putting more Americans in danger is absolutely correct. I've worked in a number of very unsettled countries and I am fearful of the reactions that will follow these orders. Any American working in such a location will be in serious danger.

2 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

In case you missed the memo, discrimination based on religion is against the law and the US Constitution.

The First Amendment does not ban discrimination based on religion. It simply says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". It's a question of whether the purported discrimination prohibits the free exercise. Excluding non-citizens from entering the country on the basis of religion is not, prima facie, a prohibition by the government of the free exercise of religion by US citizens

1 minute ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

The First Amendment does not ban discrimination based on religion. It simply says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". It's a question of whether the purported discrimination prohibits the free exercise. Excluding non-citizens from entering the country on the basis of religion is not, prima facie, a prohibition by the government of the free exercise of religion by US citizens

I think you will find that the courts disagree with you - strongly...

3 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

In case you missed the memo, discrimination based on religion is against the law and the US Constitution.

Profiling is used because it works.  My wife waited 1 full year through the visa process    not 2 or 3 months.    Look at other countries taking in the wome and children refugees most are 18+ you males. There are other topics about other countries police not being able to handle the violence and want the publics help. The snowflakes are melting because they are not getting their way

6 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

The part about putting more Americans in danger is absolutely correct. I've worked in a number of very unsettled countries and I am fearful of the reactions that will follow these orders. Any American working in such a location will be in serious danger.

Any American working in any of these countries is and always will be in danger.