Wearing shorts/ mosquitos?

JimmyJ

22 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

What works really well to stop the itch is pure peppermint oil.. I have some organic from USA - - a good bit more expensive than what I see here, but it is not diluted and the cool can stop the itch... 

We get quite a lot of mosquitoes here in Greece during the summer, and for bites we use a green herbal balm we buy in Thailand. Dunno what the name is, but it's got a green label and lid and comes in a biggish pot (about 6cm high by about 4cm dia). It smells really nice, and stops the itching almost immediately. Great stuff.

20170129_091627[1].jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/28/2017 at 2:37 PM, Sheryl said:

Obviously if you wear shorts, there is more skin exposed for the mosquitos to bite, but even in long pants they'll get you arms etc.

Some people get bitten more often than others.

Be aware that shorts are not considered polite attire in Thailand. Obviously it depends on the context - they are fine to wear at the beach, and upcountry you can wear them in your own yard. But it is definitely not acceptable wear for walking around Bangkok and going into restaurants etc except for ones located along the beach front etc.

In very touristy areas, the Thais have grown used to seeing westerners walk about in shorts but that does not mean it is not viewed negatively.

Oh please, not that old fashion police buggy-boo again. Have you not noticed well to do Thais wearing shorts for casual wear?  I certainly have at malls, restaurants, sporting events,. etc.--and not only at the beach. The times they are a changin'

Shorts and polo shirt at home and in the village but long trousers/jeans in the city. Mossies never bother me much and that includes years of Hash Harrier runs wearing shorts and running singlet in the jungle, oil palm and rubber estates - which are the worst for mossies. Oil palm for cobras!

In Kuala Lumpur the local authorities sprayed often and inspected premises for standing water etc. I have not seen this in Thailand? But a young Japanese engineer in my KL condo block died of Dengue Shock Syndrome within a few days. If you suspect dengue get medical assistance ASAP.

20 hours ago, simon43 said:

Lived in Thailand since 2002 - don't even possess a pair of shorts, really not 'British' to bare your knees unless it is at the beach ... :)

and don't forget your knee high black socks and sandals, me I'm a barefoot, knee baring ingrate.........:smile:

In Pattaya, a polo shirt and nice shorts is considered Hi-So compared to what many people wear on the streets. A good repellent such as OFF ,Smooth & Dry, is a powder dry formula that works well.

For me, only time I wear long trousers is at a funeral.

Here's the results of my repellant research:

"The most effective products against Aedes mosquitoes were Sawyer Picaridin and Natrapel 8 Hour, which each contain 20 percent picaridin, and Off! Deepwoods VIII, which contains 25 percent deet. They kept the mosquitoes from biting for about 8 hours. (The Sawyer product was our top insect repellent overall. It was the only one that also kept Culex mosquitoes, which can spread West Nile disease, and deer ticks, which can spread Lyme disease, away for at least 8 hours.)

The Best Way to Use Mosquito Repellent

Insect repellents that use deet come in varying concentrations, ranging from 4 percent to 100 percent. Our previous tests show that concentrations of 30 percent provide the same protection against mosquitoes as higher percentages for up to 8 hours. But higher concentrations of deet have been linked to rashes, disorientation, and seizures. That’s why Consumer Reports says you should avoid mosquito repellents with more than 30 percent deet and not use it at all on infants younger than 2 months."

Overall score96
Add to Compare
Sawyer Picaridin
Recommended
Price: $8.25

http://www.consumerreports.org/products/insect-repellent/recommendations/

Amazon sells the Sawyer Picaridin and the majority of reviewers love it.

Will be my choice.

Edited by JimmyJ

As mentioned in my OP, I wear shorts in the USA all summer - as well as spring and early fall (I'm in a warm climate).

Mosquitos aside, I can't imagine wearing long pants and sweating more in high heat and humidity, especially wearing pants instead of shorts so some people won't disapprove of my clothing choice.

I'll see how it goes when I get there. Thanks for all the feedback.

Edited by JimmyJ

4 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Here's the results of my repellant research:

"The most effective products against Aedes mosquitoes were Sawyer Picaridin and Natrapel 8 Hour, which each contain 20 percent picaridin, and Off! Deepwoods VIII, which contains 25 percent deet. They kept the mosquitoes from biting for about 8 hours. (The Sawyer product was our top insect repellent overall. It was the only one that also kept Culex mosquitoes, which can spread West Nile disease, and deer ticks, which can spread Lyme disease, away for at least 8 hours.)

The Best Way to Use Mosquito Repellent

Insect repellents that use deet come in varying concentrations, ranging from 4 percent to 100 percent. Our previous tests show that concentrations of 30 percent provide the same protection against mosquitoes as higher percentages for up to 8 hours. But higher concentrations of deet have been linked to rashes, disorientation, and seizures. That’s why Consumer Reports says you should avoid mosquito repellents with more than 30 percent deet and not use it at all on infants younger than 2 months.

Overall score96
Add to Compare
Sawyer Picaridin
Recommended
Price: $8.25

http://www.consumerreports.org/products/insect-repellent/recommendations/

Amazon sells the Sawyer Picaridin and the majority of reviewers love it.

Will be my choice.

Anyone remember the stuff the army used to issue ? Worked well but would also strip the paint from a car and I'm not joking.

I see that in the first ten months of 2015 some 115 000 Thais were diagnosed with either Malaria or Dengue - so the fact that Thais wander around unprotected doesn't impress me in the least.

Edited by Mousehound
duplication

5 minutes ago, Mousehound said:

I see that in the first ten months of 2015 some 115 000 Thais were diagnosed with either Malaria or Dengue - so the fact that Thais wander around unprotected doesn't impress me in the least.

I'd like to read the source if you would link it please.

"But it is definitely not acceptable wear for walking around Bangkok and going into restaurants etc except for ones located along the beach front etc."

555, another voice from the 1940's.

I've seen Thai men wear shorts on the street in BKK, at the airport, shopping malls.  What planet are you on? ?

On 28/01/2017 at 2:37 PM, Sheryl said:

Obviously if you wear shorts, there is more skin exposed for the mosquitos to bite, but even in long pants they'll get you arms etc.

Some people get bitten more often than others.

Be aware that shorts are not considered polite attire in Thailand. Obviously it depends on the context - they are fine to wear at the beach, and upcountry you can wear them in your own yard. But it is definitely not acceptable wear for walking around Bangkok and going into restaurants etc except for ones located along the beach front etc.

In very touristy areas, the Thais have grown used to seeing westerners walk about in shorts but that does not mean it is not viewed negatively.

Not in my view I have been in shorts 99.9% of the time only time I wear kong trousers is in the paddy/sugar fields. I gave been to many restaurants in bkk in shorts with no problem what so ever. You may not like men in shorts but I'm yet to meet a Thai who is offended or upset seeing me wear them. I've been to many funerals in shorts again no one was in the slightest bit offended.

6 hours ago, nisakiman said:

We get quite a lot of mosquitoes here in Greece during the summer, and for bites we use a green herbal balm we buy in Thailand. Dunno what the name is, but it's got a green label and lid and comes in a biggish pot (about 6cm high by about 4cm dia). It smells really nice, and stops the itching almost immediately. Great stuff.

20170129_091627[1].jpg

Thanks, I will give it a try... 

On 1/28/2017 at 6:56 PM, simon43 said:

Lived in Thailand since 2002 - don't even possess a pair of shorts, really not 'British' to bare your knees unless it is at the beach ... :)

Really? Well, why is it the Brit military has, or certainly did have,  a shorts outfit?

Pathetic discussion like a bunch of women debating on how their make up looks in the mirror. With the right pair of shorts you can fit in anywhere so if you like a nice pair of shorts I recommend Abercrombie and Fitch chino style shorts for MEN so all those knobbly knee skinny legged shorts are for boys brigade. Your problem with shorts is your own insecurity.

Well, I'm glad shorts seem to have been rehabilitated in this thread. The general consensus seems to be that shorts are perfectly acceptable attire, even in Bangkok, contrary to what Sheryl seems to think.

I lived in Melbourne most of the 70s, and in the summer, in the city, it was the norm to see businessmen in smart suits with short trousers. And has been pointed out, it is normal military attire in the tropics. I believe Hong Kong police wear shorts also, although I'm not completely sure about that.

However, like many posters here, I've seen lots of middle class Thai guys in shorts in malls, restaurants etc. The "I never wear shorts because it's not cool (*irony*)" crowd are just dinosaurs stuck in a Victorian mindset, worried about what the neighbours might think. But that's ok. Let them sweat their b*ll*cks off. We who know better will enjoy a much more comfortable existence and laugh at their self-defeating stupidity.

Edited by nisakiman

I am not going to enter the debate about shorts versus long pants although the latter obviously do provide extra protection against mosquitoes

I would strongly advise using mosquito repellant at nighttime and also in the daytime if visiting rural areas, beaches or even garden restaurants

There is an aerosol in an orange can available from Tesco Lotus supermarkets and other outlets that seems to work very well

You certainly do not want to contract Dengue Fever which seems to be very prevellant these days

On 29 January 2017 at 0:57 AM, impulse said:

On 29 January 2017 at 0:57 AM, impulse said:

Sure, wear shorts if you want.  Just be aware that a significant portion of the Thai people will look down on you if you do.   Not all of them, but a significant portion of them.  

To which a lot of expats (and locals) say, "so what?"

But it has nothing to do with anything we, as fellow foreigners, think or believe about who is superior.

Edit:  Like simon43, I haven't left my BKK apartment in 6 years without long pants.  Or a collared shirt- but that's my personal quirk.  Except at the beach and the apartment pool.

My Thai boyfriend freaks out with me each time I decide to wear jeans or trousers at night.

He tells me it's too hot & to change into shorts. 

37 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

My Thai boyfriend freaks out with me each time I decide to wear jeans or trousers at night.

He tells me it's too hot & to change into shorts. 

Your legs are probably much nicer than mine...  

And to be honest, I don't know the etiquette for women.  (Assuming, of course, having a boyfriend is the clue.  If not, I don't judge...)

53 minutes ago, impulse said:

Your legs are probably much nicer than mine...  

And to be honest, I don't know the etiquette for women.  (Assuming, of course, having a boyfriend is the clue.  If not, I don't judge...)

I think her username may give you a clue.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Not nessesarily could be Lammy transexual 1. But who cares I agree with her shorts are perfectly acceptable. And I bet she looks good in them too.

er, exactly. I'm sure she is TS, that was rather my point - and I agree about the shorts and I'm sure she does.

Edited by grollies