Fat people paying more on motorcycle taxis in Bangkok - "Wins" say no after sign removed

rooster59

11 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Yes. That thyroid card has been so popular and overused since the 80's.  By  the ways most fat people do not have thyroid issues.  They eat a lot and exercise a little.  

Agree....  funny how no starving poor people in some countries get fat from thyroid problems..... still got to eat food to make the fat.

If someone is disabled and overweight from some medical condition.. they are better to look for an alternative form of transport than sitting on the back of a small scooter.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes, as they are so petty about the weight of bags / luggage you can take, but a huge fat person that weighs 4 times as much as me can pay the same price?!  Price should go on weigh..... because more weight uses more fuel. 

I totally agree. I used to be a flight attendant and am more then familiar with the concept. Anyways fat people should pay for the excess fat they carry around and limit the space of thinner people. On a plane in case of emergency their big bodies can cause the death of others and so far there is no advantage to society to be fat...why should we pay for the unhealthy lifestyle from others?  

Yes, OK, I will admit to being fat.  Partly my own fault.  But, there are many people who are fat through no fault of their own.

Over eating: yes, we know, but great food is almost as good as sex.

Diabetes: most drugs used for diabetes control promote weight gain.

Thyroid: thyroid problems cause weight gain.

Kidney disease: if you have kidney disease, your body is likely to retain fluid around your tummy area.

Thats just a few.  

My thyroid is fine, but the others affect my weight.  I also have Osteo Arthritis that causes me to have joint pain if I exercise much and the kidney problem means I cannot take pain relief to help.

But, what about those who are heavy, but not fat?  Body builders are often very heavy, and very wide across the shoulders.  Should they pay more?

How poor for the attack on here on the overweight which for some is a real problem. Scales by the taxi ranks next, extra charges for your shopping bags.

Yes I am fat, not happy about it but I don't look for sympathy. Poor attitude I feel.

Yes, as they are so petty about the weight of bags / luggage you can take, but a huge fat person that weighs 4 times as much as me can pay the same price?!  Price should go on weigh..... because more weight uses more fuel. 

and takes up more room on seats.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

and takes up more room on seats.

and who will determine the width of the seats? I find these can vary quite a lot, sometimes I take up more room and sometimes I don't.

1 hour ago, cnx101 said:

Something I totally agree with also airlines should charge by your BMA if it's over you should pay by weight this wouldn't effect your height, and work your weight with your luggage.

1 hour ago, cnx101 said:

Something I totally agree with also airlines should charge by your BMA if it's over you should pay by weight this wouldn't effect your height, and work your weight with your luggage.

BMI not BMA my mistake 

19 minutes ago, Oishii said:

Yes, OK, I will admit to being fat.  Partly my own fault.  But, there are many people who are fat through no fault of their own.

Kidney disease: if you have kidney disease, your body is likely to retain fluid around your tummy area.

Thats just a few.  

My thyroid is fine, but the others affect my weight.  I also have Osteo Arthritis that causes me to have joint pain if I exercise much and the kidney problem means I cannot take pain relief to help.

But, what about those who are heavy, but not fat?  Body builders are often very heavy, and very wide across the shoulders.  Should they pay more?

"Body builders are often very heavy, and very wide across the shoulders.  Should they pay more?"

Yes, without a doubt, muscle weighs more than fat, and is 100% self inflicted. Also some, I emphasis, some, of these body builders are freaks of human nature.

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

If a person is 50 kg compared to 100-110 kg the motorbike will use more fuel depending on the wieght.
There is also a bigger chance that the motorbikes take a harder beating and more damage from a bigger person.
Totally fair and makes everybody else not have to pay for a general raise that surely occurs out of this reason.

Unless, of course, the fare rates were decided with 80kg+ passengers in mind. 

Motorbike taxis are usually more than happy to take 2 passengers at a time with no increase in the fare over one passenger so the weight issue is a moot point

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Normal taxi's in kao sarn road area still won't use the metre.....so why is this news at all?

No motorbike taxis use meters, anywhere...so why are you raising that issue?

7 hours ago, vadid said:

Seems pretty sensible, it might actually encourage them to walk and burn of some of that excess fat

Who knows what they are paying in comparison anyhow. Because there are no meters to police the rate !

9 minutes ago, alant said:

and who will determine the width of the seats? I find these can vary quite a lot, sometimes I take up more room and sometimes I don't.

Well, I am 185 Cms tall, and 76 Ks, there is no way I will take up more room on my seat, and anyone who encroaches on mine. I will signal with my hand the line he/she does not cross.

When I moved to Thailand 13 years ago, I was asked to pay an extraordinarily high amount for excess baggage weight. I could not pay the amount requested at that time and I argued (politely) precisely the point that I, at around 58 Kg, together with my luggage, must have weighed less than the guy alone  who had just been passed through with no excess charge.

It must have been my lucky day, as after a couple of minutes banter, she let me through with a smile, with no extra charge.  However, I believe that the point is a valid one, particularly for airlines where weight is so important. Perhaps the weight of the passenger and his luggage together should be taken into account? 

18 minutes ago, alant said:

"and who will determine the width of the seats?"  The airline company I should think. 

45 minutes ago, Thaijack2014 said:

I totally agree. I used to be a flight attendant and am more then familiar with the concept. Anyways fat people should pay for the excess fat they carry around and limit the space of thinner people. On a plane in case of emergency their big bodies can cause the death of others and so far there is no advantage to society to be fat...why should we pay for the unhealthy lifestyle from others?  

In an emergency how would a fat person cause the death of another passenger who would not otherwise be likely to die?  Many trolley dollies are heavier than some passengers, do the airlines get compensated for the additional risk they pose to lighter passengers and crew in emergencies by maybe getting a smaller salary?

What advantage do thin people give to society?

Edited by gdgbb

17 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

When I moved to Thailand 13 years ago, I was asked to pay an extraordinarily high amount for excess baggage weight. I could not pay the amount requested at that time and I argued (politely) precisely the point that I, at around 58 Kg, together with my luggage, must have weighed less than the guy alone  who had just been passed through with no excess charge.

It must have been my lucky day, as after a couple of minutes banter, she let me through with a smile, with no extra charge.  However, I believe that the point is a valid one, particularly for airlines where weight is so important. Perhaps the weight of the passenger and his luggage together should be taken into account? 

Excellent idea!

7 hours ago, berybert said:

If  you can afford to be fat you can afford to pay more for services. The extra weight is going to cost the rider more in petrol. Why should fat people get sympathy, make 'em pay.

Hmmmm so you are sick and gain weight and now are punished. Not sound right to.

No problem if the wages are set for average people, all go on the scale and pay per kilo.

Many motorbikes will loose job on the gliding wiegt based scale fare

57 minutes ago, Oishii said:

Thats just a few.  

I am a bodybuilder.. and would have to pay more.. I agree.. its not about being fat here.. but about being heavy... a motorcycle takes more of an abuse when its loaded heavy. More fuel and repair costs. SO yea I can see the logic.