Pretty little girls competitions

sanemax

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

The travelling community in the UK is no different, birthday parties etc, young kids plastered in make up and bloody spray tans.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Its not the kids wearing make up, that I found unsettling, it was the adults waiting to see sexualised pre teen girls waiting to see them being paraded in front of them

Usually there are numerous events on stage, but this seemed to be the only scheduled event on the stage 

Maybe OP your mind has been conditioned by modern Western society into assuming that anybody who may wish to see such events is someone who potentially has an unhealthy interest in younger children, especially of course if male. What about when young kids take up ballroom /Latin dancing, a great thing to do, but also could be considered very sexualised ? I think i would possibly feel more awkward about the dancing scenario.

On 1/29/2017 at 3:03 PM, sanemax said:

I just found the whole concept to be a bit weird.

Pre teen girls with false eyelashes and full make up , with long skirts split up the side to thigh height and adults go there specifically to see whom they think is the prettiest .

The girls were made up to look sexy and alluring, rather than just naturally pretty

I just dont think that its a good idea for adults to sit and watch pre teen girls and look/leer at them and to judge which one they think is the prettiest/ sexiest

I must admit that I was amazed about the same, when I settled here, and my little daughter should perform at the temple with her kindergarten – and it's not only for Chinese New Year, but also common at temple markets and other events, that small children are dressed up and in full make-up – but so it is in Thailand, so get used to it, if you wish to stay here; it's part of Amazing Thailand...:smile:

17 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Maybe OP your mind has been conditioned by modern Western society into assuming that anybody who may wish to see such events is someone who potentially has an unhealthy interest in younger children, especially of course if male. What about when young kids take up ballroom /Latin dancing, a great thing to do, but also could be considered very sexualised ? I think i would possibly feel more awkward about the dancing scenario.

Its a completely different situation if the kids were participating in Latin dancing or singing or doing anything to display some kind of talent, but the kids in the show were there just for their looks and to be looked at .

17 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Why?  Your topic is about sexualisation of children not about talent.

If the kids were singing or dancing, then people would be there to watch that and the kids looks and clothes and make-up would be secondary to their singing or whatever they were doing .

Looking at kids singing is quite different to just looking at them just standing there

11 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Yes, Very good point actually.  BTW,  he wAndered backstage and wOndered if it was a not in good taste..

"I'm not prudish at all", says "it didn't sit right with me" (four times) but still he wanders back stage - maybe while they were changing costumes, and took pictures  ????  now thats creepy

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

"I'm not prudish at all", says "it didn't sit right with me" (four times) but still he wanders back stage - maybe while they were changing costumes, and took pictures  ????  now thats creepy

All your points are incorrect :

It wasnt back-stage, it was behind the stage, which was on the road and in full view of all the passers by walking along the pavement.

They wasnt changing costumes, just applying make up .

I didnt take any photos there .

I did take some photos of my Boy with some girls his age who were wearing Chinese costumes, make-up less girls on the streets away from the contest.

So, you are wrong on all counts

16 hours ago, bkkgriz said:

Yeah, I'm aware of the Ramsay case and the beauty pageants in the West. I think Thailand and America approach these pageants at different levels. Thailand is more about fun and having a good time. The US is all about competition and winning at all costs. I think the OP is approaching at a creepiness level that we are raised with in the West. Making little girls look like adults is creepy for most Westerners. However, in Thailand, it is not considered creepy. 

Bingo! And Clive James did a documentary on the USA pageants back in the 70s or 80s.

The OP is looking at this from a Westerners point of view, which is that dressing up in the way the girls do and with adults admiring them encourages and makes them ripe for molestation. The Thais don't see it that way. They see it simply as dressing up. I did used to wonder at it myself, though.

21 hours ago, sanemax said:

All your points are incorrect :

It wasnt back-stage, it was behind the stage, which was on the road and in full view of all the passers by walking along the pavement.

They wasnt changing costumes, just applying make up .

I didnt take any photos there .

I did take some photos of my Boy with some girls his age who were wearing Chinese costumes, make-up less girls on the streets away from the contest.

So, you are wrong on all counts

you did say:    So, we wondered back stage , just so he could see things before we went home .

Oh, never mind, I re-read all your comments, classic case of voyeurism if you ask me.  The more you say, the deeper you dig the hole.

It's very common in Thailand.

Mother's Day, Lunar New Year, the end of the onion harvest... occasion doesn't matter.

Generalizing, of course, but Asian culture often appears to sexualize young girls from very early on as small children. You will often note women referring to their kindergarten/primary school age child as 'sexy'.

I think Westerners take this quite literally, since our culture is such that female sexuality is now more liberated. Sex means sex to us, essentially all just a part of content over style,to put it crudely.

Asian culture, on the other hand, is all about style over content. It means the notion of being sexy for a little princess in kindergarten grade 2 has little to do with the content of the idea and all to do with the style.

In my opinion, we can see the same thing in Thailand where a Western guy goes with bar ladies expecting them to be very progressive and being surprised they are actually very naive in the bedroom department, and despite their profession.

Also, there is the issue of meaning and connotation in second languages, no matter how well known or easy to understand we think something is. Just note Thai's ability to differentiate the difference between fun and funny! So when native English speaker hears the Thai parent say 'sexy' it is probably not exactly the same thing other Thais and their children are hearing.

This is all further helped along by a lack of practical (ie. the actual content again) sexual education in schools.

Away from Thailand, in Vietnam - land of the 20 something - you can see the same thing in their social media profiles: prancing in their selfies and being sexy by girls who are tucked up in bed by 11pm in their parents' house.

On the plus side for us Western fellas, a lot of Asian women barely know what good sex (real content) is until they meet us!

Well maybe for a few.

So OP, it's something you'll need to get used to because it's all a part of pervasive style over content. If you still don't get the difference think of it like getting used to Xmas in Asia.

On the down side, it means there are some who always did think it is Xmas in Asia to think of children as sexy in a Western sense.

Nothing to worry about, it happens all the time in Thailand and SE Asia

And there's no connection with the fact that Thailand and SE Asia are prime destinations for those seeking sex with children.

Children purchased, by the likes of Paul Gadd, from their complicit parents.

It's all quite normal.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2560 at 0:58 PM, smokie36 said:

I once came third in a muscleman contest when I was six.

Thankfully Nick Gully of the Cabin Group Thailand wasn't around to try to rape me in the showers.

I read in the Daily Mail about this guy, I didn't realize that he was working at The Cabin Chiang Mai

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4273122/Harley-Street-psychotherapist-raped-boy-swimming-pool.html

Archived