Security Threat In Pattaya

Chris Hill

Dear Friends,

Security Threat in Pattaya.

It is clear that the Government's sterling efforts to contain the threat by Islamic terrorists are experiencing difficulties.

Terror organisations, many of them based in Malaysia but heavily funded by Iran such as the fanatic Sword of Islam - a Paris based terror group, are exporting their well organised horror into our backyard -into the homes of our friends - the Thai people and us.

Teheran, Damascus and the Euro-Muslims are organising as you read this. None of them could have hoped for a better opportunity to increase their evil power base than the raid on the mosque last week.

Most of you will have read in the Newspapers or seen on TV or the .Net warnings from various Government sources and highly placed Military, Police and political figures. Add to these, the serious warnings from the major international communities.

Pattaya, as many of you may have noticed has a disproportionately huge Muslim community. I am told that there are more mosques than Buddhist Wats.

When the Islamic Committee and the Muslim Council leaders came to ponder whether they would meet Prime Minister Taksin - following the terror attacks in the South which opened this chapter - they did not chose Bangkok - they stayed in Pattaya.

We are part of the Thai community. We chose to be and they permit this. It is not worthy of us to "leave them to it" - let us not leave all the vigilance needed to them - rather let us, of the International Community in Thailand - JOIN the Thai people in this difficult time.

I propose you use this e-mail - [email protected] - to bring ANY suspicious behaviour to the attention of the Thai Authorities. Or call HelpLIne - 061-451-583. or send an SMS. Or set up your own centre.

There are thousands of us who live here and want to continue living here. Many of you visit and enjoy - just the places these cowards wish to target.

Be especially vigilant if you are in a Discotheque, or a large enclosed space, such as a Cinema or a Shopping Mall.

The Muslim terrorists have witnessed the incredible success of the 911 attacks in disrupting the business of a whole nation. Their most optimistic hopes were exceeded not only in the number of innocents they murdered in Bali - but in the destruction of Bali's economy for years and more years to come.

Imagine the impact on Pattaya if there is a similar horror in one of our discotheques packed to overflowing with young Thai and foreign kids.

If there is time - don't act on your own if you see someone behaving strangely - call the Police. Parcels or packages left on their own - warn someone wearing a uniform.

Now keep your eyes open - don't worry about being wrong and calling the Police out to check a pickup laden with LPG cylinders outside a disco - the Police are trained and able to question but they cannot be everywhere all the time.

If any of you have any ideas to protect our city - please let me have them or start your own circuit. If any of you would like to meet to discuss, call me or email me.

Best wishes,

Chris Hill

[email protected]

HelpLine: 061 451 583

One of our forum moderators took the text off, in good faith.

I have now re-instated the removed post due to several requests, see post one in this thread. This is a sensitive issue, but I reckon' our members will read and not panic.

Note that the post is Chris Hill's own reaction, not necessary confirmed information.

George

/Admin

Thank you George. It may well be his own opinion but it is being well supported by embassies.

The Australian embassy has issued updates the last 2 days and they get more detailed each time.

Panic is definitely not the aim, just awareness and any assistance appreciated by all I think

I think the overall tone of this message is far too high key.

It is mere speculation with no evidence to back it up,

but is phrased as though the writer has inside knowledge.

Just the sort of rumour mongering that plays into the hand of terrorists,

and does damage to a resort like Pattaya.

Sure, be careful, report unusual activities, that applies anywhere in Thailand......... but I think the the rest of the hype in the message is un-necessary.

Dear Friends,

It is clear that the Government's sterling efforts to contain the threat by Islamic terrorists are experiencing difficulties.

Terror organisations, many of them based in Malaysia but heavily funded by Iran such as the fanatic Sword of Islam - a Paris based terror group, are exporting their well organised horror into our backyard -into the homes of our friends - the Thai people and us.

Teheran, Damascus and the Euro-Muslims are organising as you read this. None of them could have hoped for a better opportunity to increase their evil power base than the raid on the mosque last week.

I don't wish to start something too emotive here but first up, Chris, aren't you are contradicting your own good self when you refer to the "government's sterling efforts" and then go on to say "none of them could have hoped for a better opportunity to increase their evil power base than the raid on the mosque last week"

Which is it ?

I for one am of the opinion that there has been absolutely zilch in the way of sterling efforts and more in fact bumbling and stumbling along not having a clue as to which way to turn.

The government (and viz largely the CEO) has been, first of all saying that there is (was) no problem.

Is there a problem, you and I know that there is and indeed we knew that on 04 January 2004 but it took a long time before the penny dropped for the CEO didn't it.

There is about three or four different agencies working on the "southern problem"

from police, army, crime suppression division and the lord only knows who else.

It has been clear that these people do not talk to each other and indeed this has been admitted. (why do you think that they would be any different than the FBI and the CIA in this respect)

They have changed / moved personnel in the south countless times in the last four months, they have sacked the national police chief, what comes next ???

The army guy who ordered the assault on the temple was ordered back to

Bangkok "because he disobeyed the order NOT TO attack the temple" and then when the dust settled a bit everyone in Bangkok is praising him. (personally I think he made the right decision)

You yourself said in your opening post on the issue that you reported the matter of the Russkie with the gun to police and they weren't interested.

Do you think that they are going to listen to some meddling farang (who the CEO has told to mind their own business, they don't need our help and he is not wanting our food) who comes along and reports a suspicious situation.

I think maybe some might listen up but most would go back to what they do best "collecting their tea money, stopping motorcyclists for not wearing helmets (when they don't in many instances wear a helmet themselves) and yes the list is endless.

I agree that in principle with your suggestion (to report suspicious events and situations) but I doubt very much that it will either work or be accepted here in the realm.

Sure in a country where citizens engage in "neighbourhood watch" and the like, sure it's got a chance of success.

And finally have you ever tried to telephone the police here in Thailand (tourist or regular) I have and if you are in an emergency situation you would be dead and buried before you might get an answer. You might like to try it.

The national emergency number is I believe 191

(equivalent to 999 in UK and 911 in US - did you think the World Trade Centre attack date was chosen at random?)

I think the national number for the tourist police 1155

If either of those are wrong - could someone please post the correct ones

GEORGE - might be worth echoing them at the top of each thread page (to drum them into memory) until the current "emergency" has subsided?

Gaz

Chris and George,

Yesterday and today as well I checked here with authorities concerned. The threat is by far not an imagination and includes BKK, not only Pattaya.

Bush

Yes and to those asking what the number (for the gendarma) is it won't make any difference as you won't get an answer.

I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Lets face it folks, we are not in UK, Australia or New Zealand where the respective number would be answered in nano seconds "but then again there the telephone operators are at their phones (not at the local "sing a song") AND AWAKE.

The idea or pholosophy is OK but it ain't gonna fly here in the realm. No way Jose.

you are bang on mate, try calling our boys in brown. Best respond time 55 minutes, I timed it.

pschef I think you are being more than generous in your praise of the brown wallopers........ 55 minutes is a lightening response. You have to consider the effort involved in getting there at all.

I had occasion to need the assistance of either the tourist police or the local variety.....I tried all the listed numbers including the emergency number.........NO ANSWER from any of them after about 15 minutes I stopped calling. I extracted the knife and walked to the hospital myself after the bleeding had stopped.

Strewth! What does one have to do to get police attendance? Even murder is passe these days, and then they always arrive late, and the perp gets off through "conflicting evidence" from witnesses!

Try calling them one day, AND ,if they answer, inquire if they are still having lunch!

I now have the mobile number of the captain of the local tourist police, along with his home number and that of his mia noi, so a response stands a far greater chance of success. First world status....dream on.

My plans remain unchanged. I like Thailand and its people. The LTD Corp is in place and I will be looking to buy (business and a home) in the Pattaya JomTien area within the next two months.

I have spent a career traveling to a variety of places (during the last ten years a good portion have been Moslem countries)...Don't get blinded here by the flash of the obvious but all countries seem to have one thing in common....all have some good things and some bad things.

The bad things are almost always a result of either over zealot religious or political (includes the military and police) agendas...and I have no religious axes to grind nor am I a politician. I try to keep aware and, to some degree, tolerant of both...a matter of self-preservation...trying not to run a foul of either.

The threat of terrorism (religious or political) is real and one that all should be alert to. But I, for one, will not allow it to rule my life.

If someone comes after me with a machete, for any reason, I would shoot them. I'm not one for conspiracy theories. I feel comfortable with others interpreting 'facts' as they see them and I feel free to interpret 'facts' as I see them...

I also look both ways before crossing the street...those motorcycles are killers.

Just because someone is in a position that is to help ( with Terrorist or thugs) or where honesty is expected

does not mean they will make a fart smell better without a compensation in mind.

That is the way Pattaya is for many, but not for all, must be said also. Maybe the learning curve for all of us. Do not expect anything from anyone then you cannot be disappointed specially in Pattaya.

Dear Friends,

Most of you will have read in the Newspapers or seen on TV or the .Net warnings from various Government sources and highly placed Military, Police and political figures. Add to these, the serious warnings from the major international communities.

Pattaya, as many of you may have noticed has a disproportionately huge Muslim community. I am told that there are more mosques than Buddhist Wats.

When the Islamic Committee and the Muslim Council leaders came to ponder whether they would meet Prime Minister Taksin - following the terror attacks in the South which opened this chapter - they did not chose Bangkok - they stayed in Pattaya.

We are part of the Thai community. We chose to be and they permit this. It is not worthy of us to "leave them to it" - let us not leave all the vigilance needed to them - rather let us, of the International Community in Thailand - JOIN the Thai people in this difficult time.

I propose you use this e-mail - [email protected] - to bring ANY suspicious behaviour to the attention of the Thai Authorities. Or call HelpLIne - 061-451-583. or send an SMS. Or set up your own centre.

There are thousands of us who live here and want to continue living here. Many of you visit and enjoy - just the places these cowards wish to target.

Be especially vigilant if you are in a Discotheque, or a large enclosed space, such as a Cinema or a Shopping Mall.

The Muslim terrorists have witnessed the incredible success of the 911 attacks in disrupting the business of a whole nation. Their most optimistic hopes were exceeded not only in the number of innocents they murdered in Bali - but in the destruction of Bali's economy for years and more years to come.

Imagine the impact on Pattaya if there is a similar horror in one of our discotheques packed to overflowing with young Thai and foreign kids.

If there is time - don't act on your own if you see someone behaving strangely - call the Police. Parcels or packages left on their own - warn someone wearing a uniform.

Now keep your eyes open - don't worry about being wrong and calling the Police out to check a pickup laden with LPG cylinders outside a disco - the Police are trained and able to question but they cannot be everywhere all the time.

If any of you have any ideas to protect our city - please let me have them or start your own circuit. If any of you would like to meet to discuss, call me or email me.

Best wishes,

Chris Hill

[email protected]

Davethailand

I would be interested in what you take on this would be, knowing that you are a business owner and resident of Pattaya.

I been to Pattaya probably 15 to 20 times and did not notice very many muslims there. Of course I was not looking for them either. I can't say that I have seen a mosque ther either. Probably having to much fun to notice these things.

I would like to hear what you ave to say about the recent warnings for Pattaya.

Thanks

Jim

Dear Friends,

Best wishes,

Chris Hill

[email protected]

Davethailand

I would be interested in what you take on this would be, knowing that you are a business owner and resident of Pattaya.

I been to Pattaya probably 15 to 20 times and did not notice very many muslims there. Of course I was not looking for them either. I can't say that I have seen a mosque ther either. Probably having to much fun to notice these things.

I would like to hear what you ave to say about the recent warnings for Pattaya.

Thanks

Jim

first of all obviousley we will be more aware of the customers entering the club, but in all honesty last year pattaya had the same threats and apart from keeping a watchful eye there is really nothing more we can do.

i'm not ignorant about this topic but at the end of the day there is absolutly nothing myself or any bar owner in pattaya can do to stop these threats and i'm not going to let these terrorist bastards spoil my business, even if not for my benefit but what about the staff.

PG,

there is a complete section of Pattaya that is ONLY muslim bars and restaurants. It is just next to Walking Street. As for Mosques, if you haven't seen any you must not look very hard when you come down Sukhumvit Rd, there are very distinctive towers where the Mosques are.

dunkinto,

according to the embassies, southern Thialand is on very heightened alert and there is some conflicts going on in the far south.

I think Dave has the right philosophy, be careful but don't let them rule your life.

Living in PTY some 11 years I personally know quite some Thai Muslims. They mostly are concentrated in Soi Nern Plub Waan ( the soi going inland from Sukhumvit, parallel to soi Siam country club road almost opposite Central Pattaya Road). This is almost the only place where you see the more religious muslims (mainly older people) wearing the white caps and veiled women... The community is pretty big but the majority is very liberal, meaning nobody would know they're Muslim if they won't tell you. They probably haven't been in a mosque for ages!

ManfromOz, the area you describe close to walking street is the Arab places, not really Muslim as such. Good food, a lot of waterpipes, they only drive me nuts with their Arab music, played at earbreaking volume!!!

I certainly agree with Dave, be alert but don't let these events rule your life...

There is no higher risk then in any other tourist oriented place in Asia. It is not an area dominantly inhabited by Muslims as is the South, where for them it would make sense to have a seperate state...

Monty

the area near walking st is the arab bar area, they pretty much keep themselves to themselves and don't come to my place. i have to say i'm glad about that as the younger guys try to play with all the girls.

after 2 am they all start to come to the bar outside my club, hence fights everynight, it's a real sihthole.