Tow them all, Bangkok gov suggests for sidewalk scofflaws

snoop1130

14 hours ago, zappalot said:

I always thought that most people come to Thailand because it's easy going.

Turns out, at least according to the previous posters and many others, that this is not true. They want the people to follow the laws to the point. Even if they are not affected by violators. The same kind of people I actually run away Germany.

I recommend these picky people to move to Malaysia/Kuala Lumpur. You do not have people selling things on the pavements/sidewalks. You do not have them driving on it. You have a sterilized life like in the West.

What are you doing in Thailand?

zappalot talks crapalot

Hopefully Crapalot isn't actually a member on here :smile:

Edited by Golden Triangle

14 hours ago, zappalot said:

Turns out, at least according to the previous posters and many others, that this is not true. They want the people to follow the laws to the point. Even if they are not affected by violators. The same kind of people I actually run away Germany.

I recommend these picky people to move to Malaysia/Kuala Lumpur. You do not have people selling things on the pavements/sidewalks. You do not have them driving on it. You have a sterilized life like in the West.

Dont worry you have still got the horrendous road kill to keep you happy, that will NEVER change

GOOD! Write loads of fines and make them drive motocycles. But give motocycles a place to park somewhere...Especially at malls they want motocy's to park in the staff parkinglot at the back which is already full.

The ONLY solution to get traffic flowing in BKK is LESS cars and MORE motocycles....and promote the skytrains/subway.

Good luck with that. The path up near 101/1 and Sukhumvit is like bumper to bumper motorcycle taxis going the wrong way up Sukhumvit...on the sidewalk. 

And not only is that s**t dangerous, it doesn't take long before the less-than-quality-crafted pavement tiles start to break up. 

On 2/1/2017 at 10:01 PM, Thian said:

GOOD! Write loads of fines and make them drive motocycles. But give motocycles a place to park somewhere...Especially at malls they want motocy's to park in the staff parkinglot at the back which is already full.

The ONLY solution to get traffic flowing in BKK is LESS cars and MORE motocycles....and promote the skytrains/subway.

Just make sure all the motorcycles are electric scooter types.... Motorcycles are not the best for air quality.

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Just make sure all the motorcycles are electric scooter types.... Motorcycles are not the best for air quality.

The bad motobikes are the 2stroke engines....

The rest drives 30-80 km on a litre...now try that for a car!

Also 5 times more motobikes fit on the road instead of 1 car...same goes for parking.

In big cities in the first world motobikes are THE vehicle to use for personal transport. Thailand should promote them but they even ban them...At the malls it's not easy to park a motobike, they should give them the best parkingplaces close to the door so more people start using them. Especially the ones who have a fortuner but absolutely can't park it.

22 minutes ago, Thian said:

Also 5 times more motobikes fit on the road instead of 1 car...same goes for parking.

In big cities in the first world motobikes are THE vehicle to use for personal transport. Thailand should promote them but they even ban them...At the malls it's not easy to park a motobike, they should give them the best parkingplaces close to the door so more people start using them. Especially the ones who have a fortuner but absolutely can't park it.

Umm, no. We don't need more motorbikes, God forbid.  On a recent trip to Hong Kong I think I counted only about a half dozen motorbikes the whole trip. At first I thought they were banned completely but then I finally saw the first one.  It was heaven not having the noisy motorbikes on the roads--and the sidewalks!  What's needed isn't more motorbikes; it's great public transportation that gets people out of their private cars and off their motorbikes and onto good, well-maintained buses and subways.  And, good sidewalks for walking  free of motorbikes, street vendors, etc. 

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

Umm, no. We don't need more motorbikes, God forbid.  On a recent trip to Hong Kong I think I counted only about a half dozen motorbikes the whole trip. At first I thought they were banned completely but then I finally saw the first one.  It was heaven not having the noisy motorbikes on the roads--and the sidewalks!  What's needed isn't more motorbikes; it's great public transportation that gets people out of their private cars and off their motorbikes and onto good, well-maintained buses and subways.  And, good sidewalks for walking  free of motorbikes, street vendors, etc. 

Even with the new skytrains the public transport is very bad...the connections are no good and we have to walk too far. Sidewalks to the skytrainstations also are no good.

Thai just can't build good sidewalks, period. Even in new moobaans they are very bad and all is brand new.

And good buses is one thing but if their staff can't speak english i will never use them.

If they can't use the pavements the motorcycles just use the bicycle lanes. I feel more unsafe on my push bike in the bike lanes than I did on the road.
Law and order is disgusting here.
Saw a policeman in the bike lane yesterday on his bloody motorbike.
Bike lanes have become a retrograde step. Who ever would have believed that everything done to improve matters makes them 10 times worse most of the time.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Dont worry you have still got the horrendous road kill to keep you happy, that will NEVER change

Bit I love my little Honda Tena 2 stroke. He's called Funny and he's my bested friend. Don't take him away please!

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

9 hours ago, Thian said:

It is not limited to 2 stroke engines.

Motorcycles produce less CO2, but more of all the other pollutants....  probably because of two major factors ...  1.  Cars have been subject to stricter regulation in western countries with respect to pollution control, and 2. you cannot fit a catalytic converter on a motorcycle.  

Electric engines though will of course be able to take advantage of energy production at scale with full pollution controls.   

What arrogant nonsense . Illegal parking and driving on sidewalks is dangerous but you think it's ok ? Don't tell folk who have lived in Bangkok years what to do. It's not the foreigners who the Bangkok Gov is reacting to but the Thais!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

19 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

What arrogant nonsense . Illegal parking and driving on sidewalks is dangerous but you think it's ok ? Don't tell folk who have lived in Bangkok years what to do. It's not the foreigners who the Bangkok Gov is reacting to but the Thais!

19 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

Completely agree. Most Thais I know are fed up to the back teeth with selfish sidewalk vendors and motorbikes riding on the sidewalks. They are the silent majority. And Bankok isn't some kind of theme park for the benefit of jaded westerners. 

22 hours ago, MrJohnson said:

Most Thais I know are fed up to the back teeth with selfish sidewalk vendors and motorbikes riding on the sidewalks. They are the silent majority. 

So the so-called silent majority does not know what it wants. They buy respectively bought from these vendors on the pavements and they used the service of the motorbike taxi drivers on the pavement. They want to buy the cheap food and get a reasonable priced transport. At the same moment  they don't like the methods used to keep prices down. If the motorbike taxi driver needs to drive one or 2 km extra just to get back to his service point as the law requires it then he certainly cannot keep his transport fee at bay. Same goes for the street vendors selling food on the pavement. By financing what they actually don't want people contradict themselves. 

This only applies if it is true that the silent majority wanted this change.

23 hours ago, MrJohnson said:

Completely agree. Most Thais I know are fed up to the back teeth with selfish sidewalk vendors and motorbikes riding on the sidewalks. They are the silent majority. And Bankok isn't some kind of theme park for the benefit of jaded westerners. 

I agree, on the other hand we need more good take-away restaurants with drivethroughs and healthy foods and salads.

Also more restaurants outside the malls who have a good parkinglot and  are free from traffic jam.

3 hours ago, kevc said:

You could put signs up saying penalty for riding on the pavement is amputation of your left foot and no one would take any notice as long as nobody is enforcing the law.

Sent from my SM-P901 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

In chinatown they put barriers on the road to stop them from parking plus a policeofficer EVERY! 10 meter....20 meter behind the last officer i saw a car parked on the road unloading goods for a shop but the officer looked the other way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 11:52 AM, zappalot said:

So the so-called silent majority does not know what it wants. They buy respectively bought from these vendors on the pavements and they used the service of the motorbike taxi drivers on the pavement. They want to buy the cheap food and get a reasonable priced transport. At the same moment  they don't like the methods used to keep prices down. If the motorbike taxi driver needs to drive one or 2 km extra just to get back to his service point as the law requires it then he certainly cannot keep his transport fee at bay. Same goes for the street vendors selling food on the pavement. By financing what they actually don't want people contradict themselves. 

This only applies if it is true that the silent majority wanted this change.

Definitely true, I just have to look at all the street vendors vending in front of one of the banks on Sukhumvit road.... they are there because the customers are buying and it is more lucrative.  Based on the volume of people buying before they go into the building I would say at least 50% of the people going into the building are buying their food from these vendors in front.   Force them to move out and into restaurants and the price of food will at least double... possibly triple in price....