In/Out 90 Day Visa Run Poipet

Yesterday I was warned by Poipet immigration not to do a same day in and out 90 day marriage visa run. They said it had been noted and that I should either take a flight somewhere or stay at least 2 or 3 nights if I wanted to be allowed back in next time at that same location, otherwise I would encounter a problem. A friend was also told the same information. Has anyone been told this here too, and if so have you tried a same day in out after the warning?

• Like 1

Made a run for visa exemption 30days, on 02/jan this year. stayed at Poipet maybe 20minuts or so, returned without bigger problems. IO asked why, but was satisfied with my answers.I told him simple i need only 2 and half weeks more after flying out (confirmed flight to KL was prepared in my handbag, but not needed). He belived me, No warning was spoken.  

I don´t say it´s right, but immigration has long been recomending everyone to stay out for at least 48 hours every time making a new 90 day stamp.
Maybe this is something that is going to be applied at more crossings in the future, but like already stated by Ubonjoe, Poipet seems to be the only one at the moment.
For me this "rule" doesn´t oppose a problem, due to that I am more than happy to get a nice trip somewhere every 90 days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Get Real said:

I don´t say it´s right, but immigration has long been recomending everyone to stay out for at least 48 hours every time making a new 90 day stamp.

I have never heard of immigrant saying that. Can you provide anything written by them that states that.

I have only ever seen that written on a honorary Thai consulate website.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have never heard of immigrant saying that. Can you provide anything written by them that states that.

I have only ever seen that written on a honorary Thai consulate website.

As I say it is a recommendation that has been written in many places, and also told in news with pictures of IO.
However I do not remenber where I read it. Just made a quick search and found 1 place in Buriram Times.

http://www.buriramtimes.com/thailand-visa/

I am sure I can find more, but totally irrelevant due to that I know the recommendation and that I heard it from checkpoints when I cross regulary.
Just wanted to share the information, that it will probably get harder with time. Thought it was better for people to be prepared.

Anybody that can stay over 90 days in Thailand, would not have a problem to go theirselfs or a trip with family for a couple of days anyway. IMO The problem seems to be very small.

Edited by Get Real

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

As I say it is a recommendation that has been written in many places, and also told in news with pictures of IO.
However I do not remenber where I read it. Just made a quick search and found 1 place in Buriram Times.

Info is the same source I mentioned in my post. Liverpool is a honorary Thai consulate.

TOURIST VISA
Effective from 13th November 2015, the Royal Thai Consulate, Liverpool will grant two types of tourist visa to Thailand.  Details of the visas are as follows:

That is only place I have seen it written.

7 minutes ago, Get Real said:

http://www.buriramtimes.com/thailand-visa/

I am sure I can find more, but totally irrelevant due to that I know the recommendation and that I heard it from checkpoints when I cross regulary.
Just wanted to share the information, that it will probably get harder with time. Thought it was better for people to be prepared.

Anybody that can stay over 90 days in Thailand, would not have a problem to go theirselfs or a trip with family for a couple of days anyway. IMO The problem seems to be very small.

There is some seriously bad info in that article particularly dealing with Chong Chom.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Info is the same source I mentioned in my post. Liverpool is a honorary Thai consulate.

That is only place I have seen it written.

Ok, I give up. Still only sharing the information I´ve got. I can also predict with a good percent of cetainity that it´s going to be implemented in more checkpoints during the coming years.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Ok, I give up. Still only sharing the information I´ve got. I can also predict with a good percent of cetainity that it´s going to be implemented in more checkpoints during the coming years.

Great ! a fortune teller !

It appears Immigration Officers do not follow the rules as published. they make up their own. If I remember- Phuket Immigration accepts money to put entries in the 'fast lane'.  One of the Southern borders needs a gratuity to let one cross immediately while others need to stay in Malaysia for 48 hours. Samui insists that people who ned 1 year Visa extensions must get a medical checkup at the hospital that Immigration 'recommends'.  Ranong sometimes lets you cross and other times do not. Now Poipet continues to hassle people with valid Non O Visas indicating they should stay in Cambodia longer. One needs a computer printout to keep up with the 'whims' of the Immigration Regions and how they operate.

It's no wonder more and more people are giving Thailand a pass. Too much hassle and inconsistency. The only real consistency appears to be at Chaengwattana and Jomtien.

7 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

One of the Southern borders needs a gratuity to let one cross immediately while others need to stay in Malaysia for 48 hours.

I think it is just an overnight stay they want. Several reports of that for any border hop.

• Like 1

In general it is 48 hrs that you need to be outside the country. Beside the visa and the actual purpose of the visit and stay need to be covert by the visa granted.

All less the 48 hrs can be seen as not have left. This is because of intnernational rules and regulations regarding entring and leaving a country.

For reason unknown to me the airport and harbour immigration stamps are treated different from the land border is always wise to have stamps from the airport or harbour too.

Sorry Joe, but am I missing some point here, 

8 hours ago, leeedwards said:

Yesterday I was warned by Poipet immigration not to do a same day in and out 90 day marriage visa run.

Having only just applied for the extension of stay based on being married to a Thai, is one required to exit every 90 days ?

I think I must be misunderstanding what the poster is writing, but if you could elaborate it would be appreciated.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There have been several report of Poi Pet telling people that.

Best to use another crossing because it has not happened at other crossings.

Go to Ban Laem or the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing in Kanchanaburi instead.

Please see my previous post please Joe, I think I didn't quote you in it.

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Having only just applied for the extension of stay based on being married to a Thai, is one required to exit every 90 days ?

No you don't have to leave the country. Just do reports of staying over 90 consecutive days in the country to immigration.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, amjamj said:

Great ! a fortune teller !

No, not at all. You on the other hand is a wishful thinker.
All the things they started with at 1 or 2 crossings before have been more or less implemented on all after a while. Why not with this?
At the consulates and embassies where people apply for there new visas, it has been more common in more places that the right amount of money has to be shown. That also started at one or a few places.
There are millions of things to compare with, and that´s why I can be quite certain about this thing too.

52 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

It appears Immigration Officers do not follow the rules as published. they make up their own. If I remember- Phuket Immigration accepts money to put entries in the 'fast lane'.  One of the Southern borders needs a gratuity to let one cross immediately while others need to stay in Malaysia for 48 hours. Samui insists that people who ned 1 year Visa extensions must get a medical checkup at the hospital that Immigration 'recommends'.  Ranong sometimes lets you cross and other times do not. Now Poipet continues to hassle people with valid Non O Visas indicating they should stay in Cambodia longer. One needs a computer printout to keep up with the 'whims' of the Immigration Regions and how they operate.

It's no wonder more and more people are giving Thailand a pass. Too much hassle and inconsistency. The only real consistency appears to be at Chaengwattana and Jomtien.

"Too much hassle and inconsistency".  Too right there is, yet there are still lots of TV posters who are members of the "immigration officials are very fair" brigade.

• Like 1

Can one shed any light on my scenario??.....Need to cross at Poi  Pet for a in and out on a 60 day METV . Scheduled to leave the country for USA on March 22nd. What are the odds of doing this in-out with any problems???      

Edited by bruceamstutz

11 hours ago, bruceamstutz said:

Can one shed any light on my scenario??.....Need to cross at Poi  Pet for a in and out on a 60 day METV . Scheduled to leave the country for USA on March 22nd. What are the odds of doing this in-out with any problems???      

Is it not possible for you to use Ban Laem, instead?  Otherwise, be prepared to be told you cannot do it at the Aranyaprathet/Poipet crossing.  It appears they have been given license to ignore the law at that particular location.  Aranyaprathet/Poipet I/Os will probably tell you that you can only do in/outs on your METV by air, which is not true. 

If you decide to go to Aranyaprathet/Poipet anyway, be prepared to travel down through Palin (Cambodia) and come back through Ban Laem or Ban Packard.  Much easier, safer, and cheaper just to do the in/out there in the first place.

On 31/01/2017 at 8:26 PM, bruceamstutz said:

Be prepared if using Ban Packard/Phsa Prum.

The Cambo officials there extorted 300baht from me for METV out/in the same day in December.

Had I known it was coming it would have been no problem, but the unwelcome surprise was somewhat testing given my poor anger management skills.

There are visa agents on the Thai side who will do it all for you (you stay Thaiside) if you travel there independently.

I was quoted 1200baht all in.  I should have accepted the deal.

My most recent METV out/in (Jan 30th) was Mukdahan/Savannakhet.  No problems.

Edited by Enoon

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

No you don't have to leave the country. Just do reports of staying over 90 consecutive days in the country to immigration.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

Hi Joe can you shed any light on my scenario??.....Need to cross at Poi  Pet for a in and out on a 60 day METV . Scheduled to leave the country for USA on March 22nd. What are the odds of doing this in-out with any problems???

I'm hearing rumblings that Poi Pet Immigrations are not letting METV holders do an In and Out??        

On 1/30/2017 at 11:47 PM, Get Real said:

Maybe this is something that is going to be applied at more crossings in the future, but like already stated by Ubonjoe, Poipet seems to be the only one at the moment.
For me this "rule" doesn´t oppose a problem, due to that I am more than happy to get a nice trip somewhere every 90 days.

In the last 20+ years never had any Thai IO tell me I had to stay out for 48hrs. I used to use Chong Chom all the time. The only thing that was said came from Cambodian IO which they say the law is to stay in Cambodia for 24hrs. However they will let this slide if you provide a little tea money.  Myself I dont pay the "tea" money, they ask I say I never pay they get upset and stare at you for a few minutes and eventually stamp your passport. 

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

In the last 20+ years never had any Thai IO tell me I had to stay out for 48hrs. I used to use Chong Chom all the time. The only thing that was said came from Cambodian IO which they say the law is to stay in Cambodia for 24hrs. However they will let this slide if you provide a little tea money.  Myself I dont pay the "tea" money, they ask I say I never pay they get upset and stare at you for a few minutes and eventually stamp your passport. 

Ok, thanks for sharing your experiance. Mine is differens. No one have actually stopped me from choosing the time. Like I said it was just a recommendation. I´ve seen it written in different places and had IO telling me that it recommended. Still not a law, but I do think it will be in the future.

So my experience is different, used Poipet more than 10times in the last 3 years, half of it i stayed only for few minutes and returned. Never payed any tea money,  never any problems with IO onboth sides. But saw a few tourists got problems with IO on Thai immigration. In my case never. Only sometimes very long queues. 

Did it last on 2nd january 2017, but only for visa exemption 30days. No prob. 

• Like 1