Chinese tourists down, but expect improvements soon say TAT

webfact

Chinese tourists down, but expect improvements soon say TAT

2p2.jpg

Photo: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The Thai tourism chief has admitted that Chinese tourism is down compared to the same period last year.

But the Tourism Authority of Thailand are putting a brave face on the figures saying that improvements are just around the corner.

And overall, said Yuthasak Suphasorn of the TAT, figures show that tourists from all countries are up 3% year on year, reported Daily News.

He was announcing figures for the first quarter of this year. He said that 9.3 million visitors to Thailand had spent 49 billion baht.

Chinese visitors continue to make up the bulk of this. But their numbers - about 2.4 million visitors, were 7% down.

He said this was expected to pick up after Chinese New Year though he further admitted that arrivals in the holiday period from January 27 to February 5th were 800,000 that represented a decrease of 4% on last year.

He added that he did not expect any detrimental affect from US president Donald Trump's new trade policies saying that Asian tourism is unlikely to be affected.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-31

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

He was announcing figures for the first quarter of this year. He said that 9.3 million visitors to Thailand had spent 49 billion baht.

So now they publish the figures for the first quarter already before the end of the first month????????????

Unseen Thailand

he further admitted that arrivals in the holiday period from

January 27 to February 5th were 800,000

I always knew Thailand was a bit ahead on the rest of the world, but didn't realize that the 5th of February already had passed here

Edited by Allstars

7 minutes ago, Allstars said:

So now they publish the figures for the first quarter already before the end of the first month????????????

Unseen Thailand

I always knew Thailand was a bit ahead on the rest of the world, but didn't realize that the 5th of February already had passed here

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

TAT consistently spews bullshit. A long history of just saying whatever it feels like saying based on figures they make up. If they say the figures are down a little bit, soon to get better, then take it as the figures are way down and they have no idea when they will get better. 

I couldn't be happier the Chinese numbers are down. The low cost tours offered nothing to the Thai economy. It just brought tourist numbers and overcrowding. 

The trend on tourists visiting Thailand is spiralling downwards.

Please enlighten me, TAT, where you base your positive outlook on tourist numbers on?

Of course, you hope numbers will go up, like you want tourist spending to go up.

But wanting it is not the same as getting it.

I hope for Thailand the numbers of tourists from western countries will go up and will compensate the dwindling of Chinese tourists.

Much better for the little people.

Edited by hansnl
Mistakes

Sounds like TAT jiggling the figures again.

In 2015 following the coup they retroactively altered the 2013 and 2014 tourism arrival figures downwards to make the effect of the coup look less significant while the amount per person increased. It would appear from this, in the absence of poor original writing or translation, that Q1 is now the first quarter of the Thailand fiscal year and not the calendar year.

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

The trend on tourists visiting Thailand is spiralling downwards.

Not sure what you are basing this statement on? certainly not TAT survey figures! :whistling:

Personnally I would be quite happy to see the volume of people visiting Thailand go down, way down, but its not happening yet! :shock1:

Edited by CGW

I run a business serving tourists in the Phetchaburi area and can say as fact that high season (January is traditionally the biggest month of the year) simply has not happened. Its the end of the month and we are 20% down on last years revenue, which was 15% down on the year before that. Chinese visitors does not equal revenue.

“The Thai tourism chief has admitted that Chinese tourism is down compared to the same period last year. 

But the Tourism Authority of Thailand are putting a brave face on the figures saying that improvements are just around the corner.”

Oh. I thought Chinese tourism being down was the improvement. 

Edited by jaltsc

There is a large building going up in Pattaya on soi 3, behind the Siam building on 2nd road.  The boss of the place I'm staying at in soi 4 tells me that it's going to be a 600 room hotel, built for the Chinese market.  Someone seems to think we're going to be in for another Chinese invasion.

24 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

What u like about them?

interesting conversations?i never hear any of these low budget tours chines even able to speak one word of English.so what u like about them?

Sorry forgot to add Sweet and Sour you know the one No46 on the menu at local takeawy

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He was announcing figures for the first quarter of this year.

This year not same-same every year....this year it special Thai year of cock....have only four months - Januarch, Aprune, Julember and Ocember.  :coffee1: