Criminal Court sentences redshirt guards 10 years in prison

webfact

Criminal Court sentences redshirt guards 10 years in prison

888_Redshirt.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court today handed down a 10-year prison term for two redshirt guards after finding them guilty of firing grenades into government troops during the redshirt government protest in 2010.

Convicted of the charge are Kittisak alias Ouan Sumsri, 50, and Preecha alias Kaitia Yooyen, 29. They were “men in black” who opened fire at government troops trying to end anti government protest.

Both were ruled guilty for using M79 grenade launchers to fire at troops during the dispersal of redshirt protesters at Si Yaek Khok Wua intersection on April 10, 2010.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/criminal-court-sentences-redshirt-guards-10-years-prison/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-31

At the same hearing of the case, three other redshirt guards, Ronarit Suricha, 38, Chamnarn Pakichai, 50, and Mrs Punika Chusri were acquitted of the charges as evidence against them were weak.

However the three will be detained pending appeals.

Good that they were acquitted but remain in jail. :unsure:

3 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Next up the people responsible for shooting unarmed citizens in a Wat including a nurse, er oh no wrong side.

How about arresting those who started this mess and called for people to come to Bangkok to "burn it to the ground"?  They created the turmoil that caused many deaths.

1 minute ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Some of us are waiting for the repeat performance

Yes there are quite a few members that wish ill on BKK and its inhabitants. Wish these guys would walk in the front rows when the trouble starts. 

Just now, robblok said:

No real need for that, the army won't allow it to come that far.. and as before the reds will be send packing when it comes to it.

I'd imagine both sides have learned a lot since that dress rehearsal. Don't forget "the army" is not a monolith - plenty of "watermelons" in the ranks. You're also confusing what I think will happen with what I hope will happen. I've expressed nothing about what I hope will happen, I just think on the balance of probabilities it's highly likely. I didn't vote for Trump but I had a bet with my English bookmaker that he would win. Same principle

2 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I'd imagine both sides have learned a lot since that dress rehearsal. Don't forget "the army" is not a monolith - plenty of "watermelons" in the ranks. You're also confusing what I think will happen with what I hope will happen. I've expressed nothing about what I hope will happen, I just think on the balance of probabilities it's highly likely. I didn't vote for Trump but I had a bet with my English bookmaker that he would win. Same principle

I dare to wager you there will be no revolution and I dare to wager you the reds will not come out on top if they come to BKK. 

34 minutes ago, robblok said:

I thought there was no proof of men in black.. that is the mantra of many on this site.. Guess there is proof as they have been convicted and they were reshirts (like everyone with half a brain knew they would be)

When you believe that a court here in Thailand in a case like this delivers a verdict on the principles of a fair trial then you believe in Santa Claus too.

1 minute ago, hanuman2543 said:

When you believe that a court here in Thailand in a case like this delivers a verdict on the principles of a fair trial then you believe in Santa Claus too.

If it was so bias.. it would have convicted the others too....

10 year sentences by the Criminal Court, which is the lowest of 3 possible court levels.

Figure perhaps a few more years of appeals to get to the Appeals Court and perhaps the Supreme Court, either of which could throw out the charges and/or reduce the sentences.

Then maybe 10 years after the original offense, if they aren't let off the hook somewhere along the way, they might actually begin service their sentences. But whatever those are, they'll probably be reduced with periodic reductions and pardons.  And might end up spending 2 years or so in custody, if society is lucky.

Or, if the two convicted guys are already being held in custody without bail (the article doesn't say one way or the other), by the time their legal proceedings are concluded, they could already have more than enough time in custody to have satisfied their sentences.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes there are quite a few members that wish ill on BKK and its inhabitants. Wish these guys would walk in the front rows when the trouble starts. 

"I'll be there, shoulder to shoulder when the first shot's fired" - can't remember who said that :whistling:

But it was just another lie. Pissed off to France and went luxury shopping instead. Oh the sacrifices of the rich.

No real need for that, the army won't allow it to come that far.. and as before the reds will be send packing when it comes to it.

Are you banking on some bloke called Steiner to stop the reds getting to the capital city then?

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

10 year sentences by the Criminal Court, which is the lowest of 3 possible court levels.

Figure perhaps a few more years of appeals to get to the Appeals Court and perhaps the Supreme Court, either of which could throw out the charges and/or reduce the sentences.

Then maybe 10 years after the original offense, if they aren't let off the hook somewhere along the way, they might actually begin service their sentences. But whatever those are, they'll probably be reduced with periodic reductions and pardons.  And might end up spending 2 years or so in custody, if society is lucky.

Or, if the two convicted guys are already being held in custody without bail (the article doesn't say one way or the other), by the time their legal proceedings are concluded, they could already have more than enough time in custody to have satisfied their sentences.

Two were found guilty, and sentenced. They're not going anywhere, assuming they appeal, other than to prison.

Three were acquitted, but will remain in jail while the government appeals their acquittal.

Nobody's going anywhere.

51 minutes ago, JAG said:

Are you banking on some bloke called Steiner to stop the reds getting to the capital city then?

Sorry, I have no idea who Steiner is. I am banking on the army taking charge quite fast and early not letting it develop like the democrats have. Once the reds have a foothold its hard to expel them. So even if they get here I am sure the army will disperse them quite fast. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I remember another time when the Army thought they had everything under control , that was till the troops deserted and went to the otherside,  later the General who gave the orders to shoot put up for BMP governor, and was surprised that he was thrown out by the people, he thought they might have forgiven him , just pointing out there mind set. 

3 minutes ago, chainarong said:

I remember another time when the Army thought they had everything under control , that was till the troops deserted and went to the otherside,  later the General who gave the orders to shoot put up for BMP governor, and was surprised that he was thrown out by the people, he thought they might have forgiven him , just pointing out there mind set. 

The have had a coup... they kept that under wraps.. so I would say they are in a position to fend of a few red shirts. Remember all they have to do is arrest the leaders. That is how they suppressed all the anti coup things too. The leaders are far too afraid to go to jail. They don't mind the foot soldiers taking bullets and so on but the moment they can go to jail they give up. (besides without finances the reds won't march.. it takes a lot to get them in BKK)

So I have full confidence in the army to keep it all under control, if you can have a coup and have loyal troops for that you have troops to take care of the red rabble too. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I dare to wager you there will be no revolution and I dare to wager you the reds will not come out on top if they come to BKK. 

If you are talking about Big Red aka china I take your bet. They first come with money and smiles - only after with ships, tanks and men. 

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

The foot soldiers,get jail time, while the leaders are walking about free, 

and it looks like they will never have to pay for their crimes.

regards Worgeordie

Yep.. you got the likes that encouraged them to set fire to Bangkok that are still free while these guys do time. Maybe the red shirts learn something from this and not sacrifice themselves that easy for their leaders next time. 

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Men in Green.

Already been cleared, by themselves.

Smells like reconciliation.

Not enough evidence. 100 corpses filled with military ammunition is just coincidental. Anyway they werent the "good" people and they should have stopped running into the bullets. 

Case against the military dismissed as none of dead turned up to give witness statements.

Ah, the land of smoke, mirrors and buffalo brains. Maybe even the "hub"