Exclusive: Trump's travel ban polarizes America - Reuters/Ipsos poll

webfact

11 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Your anti trump rhetoric doesn't fathom here. These countries were chosen to be banned and preselected by your Obama administration and then scrapped . They issue passports without checking the authenticity of the people or doing sufficient background checks. They support, finance and train terrorists.
Why allow them into the USA to get American dollars to pay for terrorist activities?
Why take the chance if it is unclear who exactly is actually entering?
Even Thailand makes it extremely difficult for people from certain countries to enter. I don't see you bitching at them.
So a few hundred are caused some inconveniences being turned back at the airports. The only way to initiate a crackdown is to strike fast. Advanced warning would signal undesirables to act fast.
You, of all people, if you are in Thailand, see this happen weekly with thais.
You need to stop being a Trump hater and start looking at the bigger picture.
By the way. Before you start naming me as a Trump supporter or lover, I didn't vote and could care less who is the president. What I do care is that the country takes actions to make improvements inside the USA. Even if that means other countries have to suffer by any actions taken. It is time Americans started to make America a better place to live and if Trump is the man to do it, then more power to him. Certainly Clinton would not do anything except make false promises and bring the country further into decay.

You sound just like a Trump supporter, even if you don't want to be labeled as such. ...Blame it on Obama?! Come on dude, you're embarrassing yourself.

If Thailand has a ridiculous rule re; farang, is that supposed to justify the US having a similarly ridiculous rule?  Your logic leaves me miffed.

If you didn't vote, that's your choice.  I did vote (absentee in California for Sanders).  I take voting seriously.  If more Dems had taken it seriously, we wouldn't have a mean-spirited dufus at the helm.  It's going to be a rocky 4 years, if Trump lasts that long. Every week, additional thousands of Trump voters come to their senses and realize what an American-harming choice they made.  It's like the Bush Jr voters who realized, little by little, what dumbass mistakes they made in voting for Bush.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

So true - all I ever see are negative headlines of complaints about Trump - never anything positive.

I guess they are pandering to the bulk of their 'customers'.

Actually  it is Reuters' headline. Very strange that they did not choose the part about more Americans agreeing with the executive order than disagreeing with it. It was actually the main point of the poll and used by other news organizations.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll found that 49 percent of Americans agreed with the order and 41 percent disagreed.

Edited by Ulysses G.

8 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

You sound just like a Trump supporter, even if you don't want to be labeled as such. ...Blame it on Obama?! Come on dude, you're embarrassing yourself.

If Thailand has a ridiculous rule re; farang, is that supposed to justify the US having a similarly ridiculous rule?  Your logic leaves me miffed.

If you didn't vote, that's your choice.  I did vote (absentee in California for Sanders).  I take voting seriously.  If more Dems had taken it seriously, we wouldn't have a mean-spirited dufus at the helm.  It's going to be a rocky 4 years, if Trump lasts that long. Every week, additional thousands of Trump voters come to their senses and realize what an American-harming choice they made.  It's like the Bush Jr voters who realized, little by little, what dumbass mistakes they made in voting for Bush.

Exactly what one would expect from a Bernie supporter but no one should denigrate you for that, it is you right but why do you have to denigrate the POTUS?  Here's a couple of predictions that will surely give you something to talk about in the future, he will last four years, plus another four.

Maybe you should get some meds to keep the blood pressure under control and some for the ulcers that you surely going to get through all the worrying. Now if I may, just two questions.  How is it that you can make such a statement about the numbers allegedly turning against Trump and from what source did you obtain those alternative facts? :wai:

10 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Does anyone know why TV doesn't have a don't like button?  Some responses don't warrant a response. 

21 hours ago, WaywardWind said:

As could easily be predicted, people are dying as the result of the ban:

Hager said he was returning home with his family that included his sick mom. They were returning home to the United States where his mother has lived since 1995. As they were waiting in line at the airport in Iraq on Friday, he was told that he could pass through because he was a U.S. citizen. But his family members - including his mom - weren't allowed, despite holding green cards.

His mother died just one day after being told she couldn't return to the United States.

Hager was born in Iraq and fled during the Gulf War. He lived in a refugee camp with his family for four years before settling in the United States. In the 2000s, he returned to Iraq where he worked as a contractor for the United States Special forces between 2003 and 2008 as an interpreter and cultural advisor. He even survived being shot in the back while serving.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/232856168-story

The people in Detroit are so much safer today.....

As predicted, this story was a lie and another example of moslem hate-hoaxes.  http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/233053942-story

The leader of a mosque in Dearborn has confirmed to FOX 2 that a man who claimed his mother died in Iraq after being barred from returning to the United States under a ban instituted by President Trump this weekend, lied to FOX 2 about when her death occurred. Imam Husham Al-Hussainy, leader of the Karbalaa Islamic Educational Center in Dearborn, says Mike Hager's mom did not pass away this weekend after being barred from traveling to the United States. The Imam confirms that Hager's mother died before the ban was put in place.

Edited by Usernames

That one story does seem to be fake.  But I'm sure there are similar stories, perhaps not involving death though.

Here's but one fallout from this poorly constructed travel ban:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/29/opinions/trump-ban-impact-on-health-care-vox/index.html?iid=ob_lockedrail_topeditorial

Trump's travel ban hits hospitals hard

The White House's travel ban encompassing seven majority-Muslim countries is a blunt instrument that's already wreaking havoc and the impact is already being disproportionately felt in American health care. The administration emphasizes it's preventing only a "small percentage" of global travelers from entering or leaving the country, but our hospitals rely on a steady influx of international physicians to keep running.

15 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

That one story does seem to be fake.  But I'm sure there are similar stories, perhaps not involving death though.

Here's but one fallout from this poorly constructed travel ban:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/29/opinions/trump-ban-impact-on-health-care-vox/index.html?iid=ob_lockedrail_topeditorial

I do wonder how many physicians that Yemen, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Iraq, Syria, and Iran produce that come to the US. I do remember that Lebanese Christians were a relatively high proportion of US physicians in the 70s and 80s. But the majority of those countries on the Trump list either don't have functioning governments (Libya, Yemen, Somalia) or only have barely functioning governments (Sudan, Syria, Iraq). The only government firmly in place (Iran) is sworn to destroy the US.  BTW, I do remember a couple of moslem physicians who were either immigrants or sons of immigrants involved in the 2007 UK terror attacks. Sort of steep price to pay for importing physicians, who, btw, just might not even be needed were it not for the profligate growth of immigration and immigration fueled population growth in the US and UK. 

52 minutes ago, Usernames said:

I do wonder how many physicians that Yemen, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Iraq, Syria, and Iran produce that come to the US. I do remember that Lebanese Christians were a relatively high proportion of US physicians in the 70s and 80s. But the majority of those countries on the Trump list either don't have functioning governments (Libya, Yemen, Somalia) or only have barely functioning governments (Sudan, Syria, Iraq). The only government firmly in place (Iran) is sworn to destroy the US.  BTW, I do remember a couple of moslem physicians who were either immigrants or sons of immigrants involved in the 2007 UK terror attacks. Sort of steep price to pay for importing physicians, who, btw, just might not even be needed were it not for the profligate growth of immigration and immigration fueled population growth in the US and UK. 

Good point.  I've got no problems with a travel ban for these countries, and others.  But it needs to be done properly.  This one wasn't.  As shown by the protests and outcry from a lot of people worldwide.  He should bring us together, not tear us apart.

You read one poll and you get one lot of "statistics" then you get another and another "alternative" lot of statistics.  So just choose which one you want to believe and off you go! Rant away!!

Yes, quite the imposition to require some critical thinking when reading something linked online such as who are the authors, what is the source, and actually reading the "about us" page on a website. Because we all know that there is so little difference between say the BBC and Breitbart for those unwilling to be critical in their thinking.

Happy Trails

1 hour ago, KenKadz said:

The integrity of the media these days is questionable at best.

I need a more information about the numbers of people surveyed, and the demographics of the survey.

Is this another one of those "How we got it wrong polls?":wai:

2 hours ago, KenKadz said:

The integrity of the media these days is questionable at best.

I need a more information about the numbers of people surveyed, and the demographics of the survey.

Just look at this forum.  Members who use to be courteous to each other are not any more.  Due to the polarization Trump has created.  Not good.

2 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

You have to love pictures of these (probably) paid protesters holding placards that say refugees welcome.

Lets put them up in these people's homes and see how they like it.

Not all refugees are bad people.  Many are caught up in violence beyond their control.  Luckily, many around the world have big hearts and are willing to help out.

Just now, craigt3365 said:

Not all refugees are bad people.  Many are caught up in violence beyond their control.  Luckily, many around the world have big hearts and are willing to help out.

Good to hear that…for now, It's America First.

On 2/1/2017 at 3:51 PM, Si Thea01 said:

Just wondering why it is being called a Muslim ban?  If it is as the protesters and some world leaders are getting into a flap over than why are the following, Indonesia, Pakistan, India, Saudi Arabia and Muslims from England, Canada, Australia, and many other countries, worlds wide, not affected and their citizens, regardless of  beliefs, can travel to the states and have not been included on the list of seven?  :wai: 

The full title of the ban is "non Trump business partner Muslim ban" but twitter only allows 140 characters.

On 2/1/2017 at 2:49 PM, Baerboxer said:

And the polls said Hilary would win easily, Brexit didn't have a chance and the last UK election would be either a Labor win or more likely a hung (and I would happily tie the knots) parliament.

Without seeing the survey design and sampling we've no way of knowing the usefulness of this poll. Remember a wise man uses statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post - for support not illumination!

Makes one wonder if it is safe to walk the streets of America at night with so many "mind changers" on the loose. 

24 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Good to hear that…for now, It's America First.

Every country should put the interests of their citizens first.  But they should also respect and support other nations.  I know, I know.  A dream. LOL

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Every country should put the interests of their citizens first.  But they should also respect and support other nations.  I know, I know.  A dream. LOL

Yes, and it would better if nations avoid regressing to slogans associated with Nazis, fascists, white supremacists, fake science genetic theory loonies, radical isolationists, and antisemites as "America First" indeed is. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, and it would better if nations avoid regressing to slogans associated with Nazis, fascists, white supremacists, fake science genetic theory loonies, radical isolationists, and antisemites as "America First" indeed is. 

I didn't know that's what it was referring to!

18 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Few refugees are in anyway 'bad'. As a totality of my 38 hr week work, I deal with the new arrivals and few suggest anything less than big horizon for host country prospectus but also their own outcomes. This is my own view on the ground of course. Others will  just dislike the idea for different reasons.

The skills refugees bring are untold too. They bring post RF Visa are bigger than the welfare deficit ultimately they take which has most impact on voter reactions. I had client today [2/2/17] showing their crumpled stonemasonry factory, He is 32 yrs old replete with an impressive photographic cv. A stonemasonry outfit in Aleppo employing 25 people with immense architectural work. Church scale. These skills we do not have in aus on any scale. That was one story at 5.25 tonight. I have hundreds of others, Brand new arrivals. Sure there are welfare differentials for other povs but driving home I am thinking about the 4500 aud i spent on one of my sibling's headstones this fellow would have done better for so much less. He wants to works with skills we just do not have in a fair market sense. Yet we fear his wanting to do what every immigrant generation has always done in australia. Work hard and succeed. 

48 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Just look at this forum.  Members who use to be courteous to each other are not any more.  Due to the polarization Trump has created.  Not good.

I have to agree with you about the point of people not being courteous any longer but have to disagree that this occurred due to the polarisation allegedly created by the POTUS. 

He gets blamed form many things but if you checked the forum over the past 2 years, long before Mr Trump became the favourite person to denigrate, you would find that some members being courteous to others went by the by.

So please, remember the old saying, that if one cannot say something nice about another than they should not say anything all.  Or at the very least, be factual and not use alternative facts to push this particular barrow. :wai:

22 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

The full title of the ban is "non Trump business partner Muslim ban" but twitter only allows 140 characters.

Wouldn't you expect, despite what you say it's called, that all Muslims would have be banned, not just those coming from the 7 jihadi prone nations nominated?  Are you saying that it is only Muslims who travel from these countries?

And as previously asked, why hasn't he stopped Muslims travelling from all majority Muslim countries?  Admittedly it was poorly implemented but anything he does is always being criticised, and will be for his term given how many haters there are out there.:wai: