Briton fighting in Syria 'killed himself' to avoid IS capture

webfact

Briton Ryan Lock 'killed himself' to avoid IS capture

A Briton fighting in Syria "turned the gun on himself" to avoid being taken prisoner by so-called Islamic State, Kurdish sources have told the BBC.

Ryan Lock, 20, from Chichester in West Sussex, died on 21 December during a battle for the IS group's stronghold of Raqqa.

He was fighting as a volunteer with the Kurdish armed fighting forces, the YPG.

The YPG told the BBC that "trace of a gunshot wound was found under the chin", suggesting suicide.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-38812873

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-02-01

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP 

but a terrorist is a terrorist, ISIS, PYD Kurdish Forces, all the same. no need to be double faced on this.

Both kill people, both displace locals from their own land and both try to change the demographics of the land for their own rant agenda.

no respect. it is not Britain there and it is not his war.

of course it is sad  but he died for nothing and provided a good propaganda for ISIS like ' how the coward Brit killed himself once he sees ISIS fighters?'

Edited by Galactus

18 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I jst wonder mr. Galactus, are you or were you a soldier? Highly doubt it.

Just a sad commenter on this forum.

Geezer

glad i am/was not a soldier aka a killing machine.

there is nothign to be proud by being a solider IMO.

51 minutes ago, Galactus said:

RIP 

but a terrorist is a terrorist, ISIS, PYD Kurdish Forces, all the same. no need to be double faced on this.

Both kill people, both displace locals from their own land and both try to change the demographics of the land for their own rant agenda.

of course it is sad  but he died for nothing and provided a good propaganda for ISIS like ' how the coward Brit killed himself once he sees ISIS fighters?'

Well one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist as they say!

I think the Kurds do actually deserve their Kurdistan now. Their religion seems less extreme and more tolerant but no doubt some kind soul will correct me on this.

I find it bizarre that our own PM is making overtures to an increasingly less secular Turkey that openly attacks the same Kurds that we are supporting in northern Iraq and Syria.

Did this British man have any connection with the Kurds? Was he a mercenary? We should be told

Anyway, certainly a braver man than I.

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Well one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist as they say!

I think the Kurds do actually deserve their Kurdistan now. Their religion seems less extreme and more tolerant but no doubt some kind soul will correct me on this.

I find it bizarre that our own PM is making overtures to an increasingly less secular Turkey that openly attacks the same Kurds that we are supporting in northern Iraq and Syria.

Did this British man have any connection with the Kurds? Was he a mercenary? We should be told

Anyway, certainly a braver man than I.

yeah double faced people on blind political agendas say that.

a terrorist is a terrorist.

kurds are devout bigot muslim guys as well. and most kurds fight in Syria comes from other parts of middle east.

they dont live there, they have no relation there and they are just there to displace people and change the demographics of the land for their agenda.

3 minutes ago, Galactus said:

yeah double faced people on blind political agendas say that.

a terrorist is a terrorist.

kurds are devout bigot muslim guys as well. and most kurds fight in Syria comes from other parts of middle east.

they dont live there, they have no relation there and they are just there to displace people and change the demographics of the land for their agenda.

No, I said it.

I am single faced ( many will be grateful for that)

I am certainly not on any political agenda, blind or otherwise.

Now, why don't you sit down with a cup of tea and tell us what's on your mind?

Why do the Kurds not deserve some lands of their own? A piece of Iran, a piece of Iraq, a piece of Turkey and a bit of Syria. But not a bit of Yorkshire ?

3 hours ago, Galactus said:

You sound like a virgin[maybe an armchair warrior :cheesy:] commenting on good sex...pretty worthless input!

Stick to your comic books.

Galactus: Marvel comic character. Galactus was simply another in a long line of super-villains whom we loved creating. Having dreamed up [many] powerful baddies ... we felt the only way to top ourselves was to come up with an evil-doer who had almost godlike power.

Edited by scooterandjobe

Sounds like a lad that just wanted to have a go and he looked content so I like this chap he made a decision went to fight and before his capture he went our on his own terms and no,I get impression this lad really went out as an untrained soldier with nothing but great big balls and an NVQ from a cokking school. I salute you MR RYAN. RIP 

12 hours ago, Galactus said:

RIP 

Yet their suicide bombers are heroes and martyrs.... what a screwed up ideology.

13 hours ago, Galactus said:

No you can sit in your home like a coward and let the killing machines protect you , your democratic lifestyle your family and your constitution and then slag them off . I have words to describe people like you but rules prohibit me from using them on here .

16 hours ago, Galactus said:

RIP 

Pathetic 

16 hours ago, Galactus said:

Without soldiers/sailors/airmen your life wouldn't be as free as it is.

I went to war at 24 and helped give civilians their lives back after their island had been illegaly invaded. I wish I could get them to tell you how appreciative they were that us 'killing machines' had rescued them.

When someone kicks you out of your house and you have to live rough, they steal your food and possesions, sh*t all over your furniture etc etc, would you still glibly say "there is nothign to be proud by being a solider IMO" ? I don't think so.

8 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Without soldiers/sailors/airmen your life wouldn't be as free as it is.

I went to war at 24 and helped give civilians their lives back after their island had been illegaly invaded. I wish I could get them to tell you how appreciative they were that us 'killing machines' had rescued them.

When someone kicks you out of your house and you have to live rough, they steal your food and possesions, sh*t all over your furniture etc etc, would you still glibly say "there is nothign to be proud by being a solider IMO" ? I don't think so.

Without soldiers / sailors / airmen....  how would that island get invaded in the first place?

Its just a vicious circle.... 

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Without soldiers / sailors / airmen....  how would that island get invaded in the first place?

Thank you for stating the obvious, however like I said, when it happens to you........

5 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

It's part of human nature to get into that cycle. Tribe A sees something that tribe B has and decides they want it. Tribe A steals it so tribe B gets organised and decides to steal it back.

Been going on since the beginning of time.

Civilisation is a thin veneer on the human mind.

17 hours ago, Galactus said:

Then keep quiet about those who are willing to take up a gun and defend the  lives of others, we are not killing machines we just see what we feel must be done and do it.  We do not ask for anything but for those who are not willing to face the horror face to face to just sit down and shut up.  

18 hours ago, Grouse said:

No, I said it.

I am single faced ( many will be grateful for that)

I am certainly not on any political agenda, blind or otherwise.

Now, why don't you sit down with a cup of tea and tell us what's on your mind?

Why do the Kurds not deserve some lands of their own? A piece of Iran, a piece of Iraq, a piece of Turkey and a bit of Syria. But not a bit of Yorkshire ?

yeah. you clearly stated it . ' but not a bit of Yorkshire'  :))

so then he is a freedom fighter bc kurds dont  displace and kill locals in yorkshire? 

i am totally with my kurdish brothers and support their possible state but i am not with the kurds or their foreign ignorant mercenaries displacing locals and killing them to get some land.

hope you can understand the difference.

4 hours ago, dazzz said:

No you can sit in your home like a coward and let the killing machines protect you , your democratic lifestyle your family and your constitution and then slag them off . I have words to describe people like you but rules prohibit me from using them on here .

how many families were protected by soldiers and how many families were killed by soldiers?

i am sure number people killed by soldiers are a lot more than the ones protected throughout the history.

of course a soldier is a tool.  it is all about their masters, the ones on the higher grounds. generals, politicians etc.

1 minute ago, Galactus said:

how many families were protected by soldiers and how many families were killed by soldiers?

i am sure number people killed by soldiers are a lot more than the ones protected throughout the history.

of course a soldier is a tool.  it is all about their masters, the ones on the higher grounds. generals, politicians etc.

And the point of that is ??

11 minutes ago, Galactus said:

yeah. you clearly stated it . ' but not a bit of Yorkshire'  :))

so then he is a freedom fighter bc kurds dont  displace and kill locals in yorkshire? 

i am totally with my kurdish brothers and support their possible state but i am not with the kurds or their foreign ignorant mercenaries displacing locals and killing them to get some land.

hope you can understand the difference.

The Yorkshire bit was supposed to be humerous!

I take your point about mercenaries. We don't seem to know much about this chap?