Britain's Brexit bill clears first legislative hurdle

webfact

Britain's Brexit bill clears first legislative hurdle

REUTERS

r1.jpg

A law allowing Prime Minister Theresa May to trigger Britain's exit from the European Union cleared its first legislative hurdle on Wednesday, paving the way for the government to launch divorce talks by the end of March. Lucy Fielder reports.

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Theresa May's plan to take Britain out of the European Union easily cleared its first legislative hurdle on Wednesday, paving the way for the government to launch divorce talks by the end of March.

May's government is seeking approval for a new law giving her the right to trigger Article 50 of the EU's Lisbon Treaty - the legal process for leaving the bloc - after the Supreme Court ruled she could not take that decision unilaterally.

The bill could complete the legislative process by March 7.

May wants to begin exit negotiations with the EU by March 31, starting two years of talks that will define Britain's economic and political future and test the unity of the EU's 27 remaining members.

Lawmakers voted by 498 to 114 in favour of allowing the bill to progress to the next, more detailed legislative stage. Earlier they rejected an attempt to throw out the bill, proposed by pro-EU Scottish nationalists.

The Scottish National Party's Europe spokesman Stephen Gethins described the vote in a statement as "a devastating act of sabotage on Scotland's economy".

A majority of voters in Scotland and Northern Ireland in last summer's referendum backed remaining in the EU, while voters in England and Wales supported Brexit.

Wednesday evening's votes came after two days of impassioned speeches in parliament, which have underlined the lingering sense of shock among the largely pro-European political establishment that 52 percent of their constituents voted to leave the EU in the June 23 referendum.

Despite presiding over a Conservative Party divided over staying in the EU, May, who campaigned for a 'Remain' vote, secured almost unanimous support from her lawmakers for the legislation.

The opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn had also pledged his party's support for the bill at this stage, but 47 of his lawmakers defied his order and voted against the bill.

Labour and other opposition parties will try to amend the bill at the next stage - due to start next week - to give parliament greater scrutiny over the Brexit talks.

(Reporting by William James, Kylie MacLellan and Elizabeth Piper, Editing by Gareth Jones)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-02

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clap2::clap2:Fantastic. Lets get the whole job done. There are some posters on here who said it would never happen or get to this stage. It would seem they are wrong. My only sadness about the whole referendum is what a shambles the Labour party has become and how out of touch they are with the 'common person'. I expect them to be obliterated in the next general election.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

:clap2::clap2:Fantastic. Lets get the whole job done. There are some posters on here who said it would never happen or get to this stage. It would seem they are wrong. My only sadness about the whole referendum is what a shambles the Labour party has become and how out of touch they are with the 'common person'. I expect them to be obliterated in the next general election.

Although, as a Dutchman, I dislike Britain leaving the EU which will result in even greater control by Germany and France, I can only hope more countries will leave the EU to bring back democratic control.

I think in the end it will be a good thing for Britain.

41 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Although, as a Dutchman, I dislike Britain leaving the EU which will result in even greater control by Germany and France, I can only hope more countries will leave the EU to bring back democratic control.

I think in the end it will be a good thing for Britain.

Maybe your countrymen/women will do the same and stand up to the EU and vote out again and this time stay out. I hope they do for the reason you mentioned and more.

16 minutes ago, jpinx said:

That was the easy bit, and something of a no-brainer.  Wait to see what amendments are proposed and which ones gain traction. 

Yes, correctly observed as usual ?

The only thing of interest here is here is the number of labour MPs who defied Corbyn. Corbyn should have given a free vote. It would not have affected the result.

Unless there is a major shake up with a new leader coming in I think we maybe seeing the beginning of the end of labour.

One thing is certain, without credible opposition, many of those who voted Brexit in the referendum in June last year will get shafted by the Con Party. I'm talking about those who hoped for improved services, improved access to jobs, less inequality, more affordable housing and increased prosperity. 

Edited by Grouse

2 hours ago, thai3 said:

We agreed to join the common market, not a united undemocratic EU controlling most of our law making, sooner out the better.

You clearly learnt very little from some of the erudite discussions on here from both sides. If you had, you would not make such a silly comment.

You've got what you wanted; why get people's back's up by showing that you gleaned little or nothing from the discussions.

Don't worry, I'm not going to explain your misunderstandings again. You will just have to live with them.

6 hours ago, jpinx said:

That was the easy bit, and something of a no-brainer.  Wait to see what amendments are proposed and which ones gain traction. 

Without Labours three line whip I think that the result would have been more one way and a higher majority achieved.  This really was a no brainer.  We have well and truly burnt our bridges with the EU and couldn't go back cap in hand and say that we had changed our mind.  I think almost all the MPs realised that and so do most of the people who wanted to remain.  It was only the paranoid Brexiteers who had their doubts and whinged on about it.

So now we have years of bickering and posturing and lots of badly guessed scenarios and possible results.  Theresa May stupidly (in my opinion) nailed her colours to a hard brexit as that was the only way she could deliver her pledge of "controlling our borders" against the free movement of people.  Making that promise severely restricts her negotiating options although I understand she had to make that commitment as that was the overwhelming reason the Brexiteers voted to leave.

So having taken that stance she is now committed to it and almost certainly has to give up on being able to negotiate a single market deal.  Hence her statement about the probability of us leaving the single market.  I get that.  What is far more worrying is that May has said if we cannot negotiate a good deal for the UK she is prepared to walk away without one at all. Hopefully pressure from parliament will now force her to take a more realistic approach.

In a strange way what is happening with Trump does help us.  This threats and manic behaviour certainly makes Britain look like a more reliable ally.  Thank you Mr Trump for being such a destabilising moron!

46 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

The only thing I felt sorry about was the (apparent) number of influential trying to block Brexit. Whatever, in or out, the referendum result should be complied with a.s.a.p. 

No, wrong again.

Nobody was or is trying to "block" Brexit.

Most people want, what to them, is the optimum brexit and there are multiple paths.

Why would you wish to "gag" people? You just may agree with what they suggest.

What was blocked, correctly, was May's attempt to override parliamentary sovereignty. If she handn't been so damned silly, the ball could have been rolling months ago.

Now, let's see if she can avoid doing a Trump (if I may be so vulgar) and upsetting everyone with whom we need to agree the path forward.

Edited by Grouse

1 hour ago, Grouse said:
3 hours ago, thai3 said:

We agreed to join the common market, not a united undemocratic EU controlling most of our law making, sooner out the better.

You clearly learnt very little from some of the erudite discussions on here from both sides. If you had, you would not make such a silly comment.

You've got what you wanted; why get people's back's up by showing that you gleaned little or nothing from the discussions.

Don't worry, I'm not going to explain your misunderstandings again. You will just have to live with them.

There is no misunderstanding on thai3's part. The problem with remainers such as yourself is you try to over-complicate very straightforward issues, to the point where you can't (or won't) see the wood for the trees. thai3 has identified a fundamental failure of the modern day EU, and one doesn't need to be a rocket (or semiconductor) scientist to understand this basic failure. And hiding behind condescension, as you and some of the other remain posters do, merely flags up the inadequacy of your arguments.

59 minutes ago, Grouse said:

No, wrong again.

Nobody was or is trying to "block" Brexit.

Most people want, what to them, is the optimum brexit and there are multiple paths.

Why would you wish to "gag" people? You just may agree with what they suggest.

What was blocked, correctly, was May's attempt to override parliamentary sovereignty. If she handn't been so damned silly, the ball could have been rolling months ago.

Now, let's see if she can avoid doing a Trump (if I may be so vulgar) and upsetting everyone with whom we need to agree the path forward.

There are plenty of people trying to block brexit. Don't you follow current affairs?

And how could the ball have been set rolling months ago? The schedule has long been for it to be set rolling at the end of March. Think before you post man.

16 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

There is no misunderstanding on thai3's part. The problem with remainers such as yourself is you try to over-complicate very straightforward issues, to the point where you can't (or won't) see the wood for the trees. thai3 has identified a fundamental failure of the modern day EU, and one doesn't need to be a rocket (or semiconductor) scientist to understand this basic failure. And hiding behind condescension, as you and some of the other remain posters do, merely flags up the inadequacy of your arguments.

"undemocratic EU controlling most of our law making"

I really don't want to explain all this again.

Posters should just enjoy their victory without posting inaccuracies (I'm being polite)

Yes there is a democratic shortfall with EU systems but please don't exaggerate the issue.

Here's one POV comparing EU and UK democracy. I wouldn't go to war over the problems ?

Incidentally, no condensation on my side. 

https://medium.com/im-trying-to-fact-check-brexit/fact-check-is-the-eu-undemocratic-70bed70af7da#.d3ryvtov4

Edited by Grouse

14 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

There are plenty of people trying to block brexit. Don't you follow current affairs?

And how could the ball have been set rolling months ago? The schedule has long been for it to be set rolling at the end of March. Think before you post man.

Is it you again?

May could have got parliamentary approval ages ago. What is your point? The main delays have been awaiting futile (and expensive) court cases.

Who has tried to actually BLOCK Brexit? Do you object to parliamentary debate? Object to the Scots standing up for their interests? It's a democracy man!

?

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

With respect you really are having trouble understanding this.  The Scottish members were voting against brexit as they are trying to protect their position.  The Labour members who voted no did so as a political move against the three line whip.  If you take both of those out of the equation the vote to leave was a landslide.  That is because we all know we have to leave now.

Like many of the Brexiteers you have difficulty in understanding that although almost half of the country voted to remain (that's the remainers/remoaners you always like to refer to) they have all moved on and totally accept that we have to leave now as the EU wouldn't have us back anyway, or if they did our membership would be fatally wounded by the referendum result.  I would say that it's the Brexiteers that can't move on.

5 hours ago, thai3 said:

It was the ignorance about the EU amply demonstrated by the above which led to the potentially disastrous for the UK result last June.

Ignorance fed by the lies of the Brexit campaign and which the Remain campaign were woefully inadequate at correcting.

But what's done is done; there is no going back. Hopefully this Bill will get through it's remaining stages without delay and May and her government can get on with the job of salvaging the best deal possible.

Edited by 7by7

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

It was the ignorance about the EU amply demonstrated by the above which led to the potentially disastrous for the UK result last June.

Ignorance fed by the lies of the Brexit campaign and which the Remain campaign were woefully inadequate at correcting.

But what's done is done; there is no going back. Hopefully this Bill will get through it's remaining stages without delay and May and her government can get on with the job of salvaging the best deal possible.

Which lies were they ?

... and are you suggesting that were no lies/misinformation on the remain side ..................?

9 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Which lies were they ?

... and are you suggesting that were no lies/misinformation on the remain side ..................?

There were many and I shall pull a list together

For now

1) Turkey becoming a member of the EU imminently

2) Images of many refugees filling a road (presumably to the UK)

3) Incorrect estimates of how much EU costs (implied net)

4) False promises of money for NHS as a direct result

Many, many more to follow

On the other side, experts gave worst case scenarios. These were estimates. Much of the downside is yet to be seen because Brexit has not occurred and inflationary pressures are time delayed. 

NOBODY explained that much inequality occurred due to globalisation and automation

NOBODY explained that UK was not in Schengen

NOBODY explained that immigration from non European countries was uneffected 

Now, I can go on in this vein but I'm sure you're all bored so PLEASE let's move on

Just now, Jip99 said:

Which lies were they ?

The most famous one is telling us that leaving the EU would save the UK taxpayer the £350 million a week we contribute to the EU, when the truth is the UK's contribution is much less than that.

The EU planned to make the UK charge VAT on food, children's clothing etc..

That leaving would dramatically reduce all immigration, rather than the truth that it might reduce immigration from other EEA states but probably wont if we want to remain in the single market.

Reinforcing the ignorance displayed by Thai 3; i.e. that we are controlled and our laws made by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

See the Long list of leave lies and Brexit lies for many more examples.

13 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

and are you suggesting that were no lies/misinformation on the remain side ..................?

Your turn for some examples; and I don't mean some of the gloomy economic forecasts. They were forecasts, not definite statements like the Brexit examples above and Brexit campaigners gave us their rosy ones as well. Only time will tell how accurate any of them, from both sides, were.

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

With respect you really are having trouble understanding this.  The Scottish members were voting against brexit as they are trying to protect their position.  The Labour members who voted no did so as a political move against the three line whip.  If you take both of those out of the equation the vote to leave was a landslide.  That is because we all know we have to leave now.

Like many of the Brexiteers you have difficulty in understanding that although almost half of the country voted to remain (that's the remainers/remoaners you always like to refer to) they have all moved on and totally accept that we have to leave now as the EU wouldn't have us back anyway, or if they did our membership would be fatally wounded by the referendum result.  I would say that it's the Brexiteers that can't move on.

If you're going to offer condescension 'with respect', stick the respect somewhere. Ever heard of Tony Blair? Ever heard of Richard Branson? Ever heard of Gina Miller (read up what she was saying before her advisors told her to button it)?

16 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

The most famous one is telling us that leaving the EU would save the UK taxpayer the £350 million a week we contribute to the EU, when the truth is the UK's contribution is much less than that.

The EU planned to make the UK charge VAT on food, children's clothing etc..

That leaving would dramatically reduce all immigration, rather than the truth that it might reduce immigration from other EEA states but probably wont if we want to remain in the single market.

Reinforcing the ignorance displayed by Thai 3; i.e. that we are controlled and our laws made by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

See the Long list of leave lies and Brexit lies for many more examples.

Your turn for some examples; and I don't mean some of the gloomy economic forecasts. They were forecasts, not definite statements like the Brexit examples above and Brexit campaigners gave us their rosy ones as well. Only time will tell how accurate any of them, from both sides, were.

Osborne's promised emergency recession budget immediately springs to mind.

5 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Osborne's promised emergency recession budget immediately springs to mind.

A warning it may have to happen rather than a promise it will definitely happen, from both him and Darling, his Labour predecessor.

A warning which may still come true if the negotiations don't go well.

That's one; any more?

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Is it you again?

May could have got parliamentary approval ages ago. What is your point? The main delays have been awaiting futile (and expensive) court cases.

Who has tried to actually BLOCK Brexit? Do you object to parliamentary debate? Object to the Scots standing up for their interests? It's a democracy man!

?

Again, what part of there haven't been any delays in implementing brexit don't you understand? It was and still is scheduled for the end of March.  Do try to make yourself informed instead of shooting your mouth off.

3 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

If you're going to offer condescension 'with respect', stick the respect somewhere. Ever heard of Tony Blair? Ever heard of Richard Branson? Ever heard of Gina Miller (read up what she was saying before her advisors told her to button it)?

I was trying to be polite and not confrontational but hey! whatever floats your boat.

I will give you Tony Blair, not that anyone would want the lying toad,  As for Branson well from his last comments he has certainly moved on although with a shaking of the head.  Gina Miller made it very clear over and over again, in interview after interview that she was not trying to stop brexit and it should go ahead.  She was fighting for parliament to have a say in the terms and conditions.

So realistically you have come up with one person out of the millions that voted to remain.  I can tell you there are many more than that who still want to remain but the overwhelming majority now accept the situation for the reasons I stated..  All that is totally irrelevant though but you still find it hard to move on.  There is no point to prove!

As for my "with respect"  may I suggest that you meant "up my a*rse" when you wrote "somewhere".  It will do fine up there!

12 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

A warning it may have to happen rather than a promise it will definitely happen, from both him and Darling, his Labour predecessor.

A warning which may still come true if the negotiations don't go well.

That's one; any more?

Oh, it was a lot more than a maybe. From the pro-remain Grauniad:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/14/osborne-predicts-30bn-hole-in-public-finance-if-uk-votes-to-leave-eu

7 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I was trying to be polite and not confrontational but hey! whatever floats your boat.

I will give you Tony Blair, not that anyone would want the lying toad,  As for Branson well from his last comments he has certainly moved on although with a shaking of the head.  Gina Miller made it very clear over and over again, in interview after interview that she was not trying to stop brexit and it should go ahead.  She was fighting for parliament to have a say in the terms and conditions.

So realistically you have come up with one person out of the millions that voted to remain.  I can tell you there are many more than that who still want to remain but the overwhelming majority now accept the situation for the reasons I stated..  All that is totally irrelevant though but you still find it hard to move on.  There is no point to prove!

As for my "with respect"  may I suggest that you meant "up my a*rse" when you wrote "somewhere".  It will do fine up there!

Wrong about Gina Miller. Do a bit more research.

11 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Again, what part of there haven't been any delays in implementing brexit don't you understand? It was and still is scheduled for the end of March.  Do try to make yourself informed instead of shooting your mouth off.

The Brexiteers keep clamouring for rapid progress. The delays since June 2016 are entirely due to May's rather slow synaptic responses and an ill advised desire to try and circumvent parliamentary democracy.

I must say I had some difficulty in parsing your post but I hope that suffices