It's not in Britain's interests for other countries to quit EU, minister says

webfact

It's not in Britain's interests for other countries to quit EU, minister says

REUTERS

r6.jpg

An illustration shows the white paper setting out Britain's government statergy for departing the European Union, outside Parliament, in London, Britain February 2, 2017. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

BERLIN (Reuters) - Britain's Minister of State for Trade and Investment said in a newspaper interview that Britain did not want other countries to follow its lead by quitting the European Union.

Britons voted in a referendum last June to leave the EU and the British government is aiming to begin exit negotiations with the bloc by March 31, which would kick off two years of divorce talks.

"It's not in Britain's interests for other EU members to follow our example and leave the EU," Greg Hands told German newspaper Rheinische Post's Friday edition.

He said Britain wanted the EU to remain united and strong.

U.S. President Donald Trump has called Brexit a "great thing" and has said he believes other countries will follow Britain in leaving the EU.

(Reporting by Michelle Martin; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-03

Independent UK needs a strong EU neighbour to take up the exports - if nothing else.  The dream of a German Federation of european countries is getting closer and will be achievable after Brexit, even if there are other exits.

I have to laugh, you have this guy saying the UK does not want any other countries to leave the EU, and he wants a strong EU, and you have EU leaders claiming they will not be vindictive in the divorce negotiations. Does anyone believe the drivel coming out of their mouths. :whistling:

And who exactly would give a wet tosz even if so?

Frankfurt/Germany is already clapping hands over new settling companies, so do Netherlands as well as France.
Quit stalling & get it dunn already, be gone & good riddance ... 

Edited by jollyhangmon

11 hours ago, Ulic said:

I have to laugh, you have this guy saying the UK does not want any other countries to leave the EU, and he wants a strong EU, and you have EU leaders claiming they will not be vindictive in the divorce negotiations. Does anyone believe the drivel coming out of their mouths. :whistling:

Yes, I do.

We want and indeed need the rump of the EU to continue as a strong trading partner.

Why would the EU be vindictive? They ARE saying that a non member can not get a better deal than a member. Logical surely? What else would one expect?

There will be existing and continuing commitments that will have to be funded. What else? Walk away? Wouldn't do our reputation or credit rating much good!

11 hours ago, Ulic said:

Whether you believe the statements or not - it shows that the positions are coming closer together.

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Eyam, the plague village came to mind. In the eighteenth century the villagers isolated themselves to prevent contagion; they all perished. How heroic.

There were 90 survivors, the sacrifice of the other 260 of the population is estimated to have saved thousands of lives and prevented the disease spreading further.

Your attempt at sarcasm or whatever is sadly misplaced as well as irrelevant to this thread.

7 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Be up to those countries, not Greg Hands

I personally think we will see more leave as elections happen across Europe, maybe even a huge shock

Doubt it. Most others don't have that sort of bottle. The Danes, Poles, Hungarians, all talk about it, usually to get their own way on something but are too scared to actually do it. Most of the others are too reliant on the benefits and wouldn't want to cut their nose off to spite their faces.

France - all bluster and shouting but when it comes to elections meekly vote the same as always. Germany may let them push the French language as a little treat but they'll never be an equal leader.

The two possibles are the Dutch who as clear thinkers see the future German domination and drive to a federal EU state under German management and who value their freedom and the Greeks who become too fed up with imposed austerity which helps enrich German institutions. Although again, they need financial support but a point of swallowing German crap no more may come.

Edited by Baerboxer

1 hour ago, Saraphee said:

There were 90 survivors, the sacrifice of the other 260 of the population is estimated to have saved thousands of lives and prevented the disease spreading further.

Your attempt at sarcasm or whatever is sadly misplaced as well as irrelevant to this thread.

Dear me

It was a witticism

I used to live there, mainly in The Miners Arms

I'm delighted some survived and I stand happily corrected

The connection was the desire to prevent contagion from Brexit to other EU counties.

Sorry

Edited by Grouse

53 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Doubt it. Most others don't have that sort of bottle. The Danes, Poles, Hungarians, all talk about it, usually to get their own way on something but are too scared to actually do it. Most of the others are too reliant on the benefits and wouldn't want to cut their nose off to spite their faces.

France - all bluster and shouting but when it comes to elections meekly vote the same as always. Germany may let them push the French language as a little treat but they'll never be an equal leader.

The two possibles are the Dutch who as clear thinkers see the future German domination and drive to a federal EU state under German management and who value their freedom and the Greeks who become too fed up with imposed austerity which helps enrich German institutions. Although again, they need financial support but a point of swallowing German crap no more may come.

Bottle or stupidity?

As far as the Danes, Poles and Hungarians being scared, maybe you should read up on the history of some of these countries.

As Jpinx said above, it seems both sides are coming closer together. Continued bigotry is as unwelcome as it is passe.

Finally, I am really tired of all the anti-German nonsense. There may come a time when you are happy that they are there to counter aggression from the East. In the meantime, you may wish to ponder why they seem to beat the British at just about everything.....

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Greeks who become too fed up with imposed austerity which helps enrich German institutions

The Greeks blatantly lied on their application to get into Europe, they have never and will never meet the entry requirements.

Only themselves to blame.

Although the German banks should never have lent them Euros either, so the Germans have screwed up as well.

13 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

The Greeks blatantly lied on their application to get into Europe, they have never and will never meet the entry requirements.

Only themselves to blame.

Although the German banks should never have lent them Euros either, so the Germans have screwed up as well.

Greece becoming a member in spite of serious financial irregularities is just another example of the drive to european federalisation since the EEC/EU was formed.  German banks are no barometer of "good banking" from the recent russian laundering scam.

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Dear me

It was a witticism

I used to live there, mainly in The Miners Arms

I'm delighted some survived and I stand happily corrected

The connection was the desire to prevent contagion from Brexit to other EU counties.

Sorry

I'm dyslexic & thought it said PRAGUE:)

I am sure we are all getting a bit weary of Brexit now no matter which side of the fence you are on.

Britain and the EU now need to progress the divorce and there will be positive and negative comments from both sides.  I think it is unwise to read anything into this posturing.  The media will continue to milk every statement because that it is what they do.  We don't have to do that.  Along the way there will  be progress but until the deal is sealed nothing is certain.  It is going to be a long two years and no doubt what happens in the  European elections will have a considerable effect on how we end up.

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

I am sure we are all getting a bit weary of Brexit now no matter which side of the fence you are on.

Britain and the EU now need to progress the divorce and there will be positive and negative comments from both sides.  I think it is unwise to read anything into this posturing.  The media will continue to milk every statement because that it is what they do.  We don't have to do that.  Along the way there will  be progress but until the deal is sealed nothing is certain.  It is going to be a long two years and no doubt what happens in the  European elections will have a considerable effect on how we end up.

It's a grumpy old farts dream topic - worthy of the most acid bile that can be summonsed :) 

Just now, dunroaming said:

Talking of old farts, it will be interesting to see if Trumps Presidency has an effect on Europe's position on Brexit. 

It already has -- Merkel went off to China to talk nicely and offer EU friendship in place of USA 's  thorny handshake, but China wants the UK to stay........

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Bottle or stupidity?

As far as the Danes, Poles and Hungarians being scared, maybe you should read up on the history of some of these countries.

As Jpinx said above, it seems both sides are coming closer together. Continued bigotry is as unwelcome as it is passe.

Finally, I am really tired of all the anti-German nonsense. There may come a time when you are happy that they are there to counter aggression from the East. In the meantime, you may wish to ponder why they seem to beat the British at just about everything.....

Please tell me what you mean by "just about everything". I'll help you by starting with Soccer, but after that I need your help.

44 minutes ago, joebrown said:

Please tell me what you mean by "just about everything". I'll help you by starting with Soccer, but after that I need your help.

You're probably winding me up but I'll bite! ?

Auf Englisch...

Engineering generally

Machine tools

Special steels (now)

medical electronics

optics

Cars

taxis

Trucks

Chemicals

roads

hospitals

schools

education system

apprentice system

lack of yobbish behaviour

general peacefulness (though the Muslim influx has damaged this)

housing and construction

house ownership/rental systems

Bread

Sausages

Beer!

Shall I continue?

This list is of course personal

degustibus non est disputandum

Edited by Grouse

19 hours ago, dandythai said:

Did you get your medication today ?

Nobody really thought the UK would vote leave,even those that were pushing for it did not think it would happen, don't underestimate the man in the street

And I am clean these days, but thanks for the reminder