French soldier shoots and wounds knife-wielding attacker at Paris Louvre

snoop1130

French soldier shoots and wounds knife-wielding attacker at Paris Louvre

By Michel Rose and Elizabeth Pineau | PARIS

download.jpg

FILE PHOTO - French army paratroopers patrol near the Louvre museum in Paris, France, March 30, 2016. REUTERS/Philippe Wojaze/File photo

A French soldier on Friday shot and wounded a man armed with a knife after he tried to enter the Louvre museum in central Paris carrying a suitcase, police sources said.

One source said the man had been trying to get into the museum's shopping mall and had attacked another soldier before being shot and seriously wounded.

Police said the area had been evacuated and the interior ministry said on Twitter the incident was "serious".

Louvre officials said the museum was closed and that visitors already inside when the attack took place were being kept there.

A Reuters witness at the scene said police had cordoned off access to the museum.

France has been hit by a series of militant Islamist attacks

over the past two years that have killed more than 230 people and which have been claimed by the militant Islamist group Islamic State.

The most recent deadly attack took place in the southern city of Nice when a man drove a truck into a crowd on the seafront killing 86.

Two potential attacks were thwarted in September including one by a group of women who parked a car containing gas canisters near Paris's Notre Dame Cathedral.

The country is less than three months away from a presidential election in which security and fears of terrorism are among the key issues.

(Reporting by Emmanuel Jarry, Chine Labbe, Bate Felix; Editing by Andrew Callus and John Irish)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-2-3

Just now, smutcakes said:

I hope no one jumps to conclusions that this was anything but a one off attack by a delusional individual.

I doubt very much it can be linked to Islam, although i am sure many will try to do so to make political capital.

Have a look at the Sun online.

I am sure many will try to say it is not linked to islam but just a delusional individual with a machete shouting "allahu Akbar".

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I hope no one jumps to conclusions that this was anything but a one off attack by a delusional individual.

I doubt very much it can be linked to Islam, although i am sure many will try to do so to make political capital.

First you say no-one should 'jump to conclusions.....' and then you say that you 'doubt very much.....'. This would be a case of having your cake and eating it too.

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

First you say no-one should 'jump to conclusions.....' and then you say that you 'doubt very much.....'. This would be a case of having your cake and eating it too.

So, smutcakes, how's your score rating on the 'I doubt very much.....' scenarios coming along?

Edited by SheungWan

The suspect is - at this stage-  identified as Abdallah E-H., An Egyptian national aged 29, totally unknown to the French intelligence services.
Abdallah E-H. arrived in Paris on 26 January 2017 at Roissy-Charles de Gaulle Airport  from Dubai (United Arab Emirates) with a return flight to Dubai on Sunday, February 5th.
The suspect had also booked a hotel room in Paris ( rue de Ponthieu) . A search of the premises is underway. DNA and fingerprint analysis are also underway to confirm his identity.

Edited by Opl

6 hours ago, smutcakes said:

A delusional individual inspired by radical Islam and Jihad. How does that make him any different from other lone wolf terrorists?

10 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Strange though how the number of this type of incident seems to be related to the number of muslims you allow into your country.

ummm.... wielding 2 machetes and attacking 4 soldiers armed with assault rifles.

even against just one unarmed paratrooper the guy was likely to get his ass handed to him.

I think Western countries are currently draining out all the violent Muslim nutcases who by impulsivity just decide to go attack "something" non-Muslim.

nutters.

12 hours ago, thai3 said:

should have blown his brains out and saved the cost of the trial, with interpreters of course and of keeping him banged up for several years

I disagree. The man needs to be interrogated, for obvious reasons.

4 hours ago, manarak said:

ummm.... wielding 2 machetes and attacking 4 soldiers armed with assault rifles.

even against just one unarmed paratrooper the guy was likely to get his ass handed to him.

I think Western countries are currently draining out all the violent Muslim nutcases who by impulsivity just decide to go attack "something" non-Muslim.

nutters.

they are draining them out? Wishful thinking