Failed to grow dill

I bought a bag of dill seeds in tesco lotus. It didnt go well. I planted the seeds  and watered them every day, but nothing happened. Absolutely nothing. 

I remember growing dill when i was a child living in sweden. It was very easy, you just planted the seeds and three months later you had dill. 

I am in mahasarakham province in the north east in a farming vi!!age. They mostly grow rice but also many other things. Now my wife is complaining that i am causing "trouble" ? with my dill. 

So, is it possible to grow dill and what should i do ? 

It's grown here.  I don't grow it myself but I do buy it at the local Wednesday market here in Nakhon Sawan Province.  I have to order it one week and they have it the next.  I think that it is grown up north as it not really used in Thai food, but in Lao food.  It's Thai name is Pak Chee Lao!

Dill seeds seem to lose their ability to germinate pretty quickly. I try to let wild seedlings grow where they occur naturally in my garden.

The last batch od seeds  I bought was infected with mildew, a problem that originated in India.

I grow dill in my garden in Korat. It can be a wee bit tricky getting the seeds to germinate, but generally I've been successful. 

I suggest you buy a new packet of seeds from a different store. In Korat there are small stores which sell decent quality seeds. I'm sure there must be similar stores in your city. 

Just make sure the seeds aren't on a stand exposed to direct sunlight all day. 

Your best bet is to plant the seeds in grow trays in a peat/coir mix and then transplant when the seedlings are hardy. This is what I usually do. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I also have not successed with dill

I live in Hua Hin.I have grown tomatoe and cucumber, no problem.

But with dill I can't sucess. First they take a long time to come up and some don't come up. When I then replant them some just don't increase and if the do they are so tiny and they will not be big. I have tried to ad nutrition of different arts, but it will not help. The company that have made this bag is Chia Tai co ltd.

The reason for me to grow dill is that I want to have the special kind of dill, we call "krondill" in Sweden, see photo. I think it is the same dill but you want it to stay longer. I should use it when i cook Shrimps.

When i look at the amrkets, the sell the normal kind of dill. How do they do to make it grow normal?

krondill.jpg

Archived