SURVEY: Should your home country admit refugees?

SURVEY: Refugees--let them in or keep them out?  

277 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, SymS said:

The survey oversimplifies the issue. It also depends what's the definition of refugees is.

If it is that one:

"a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster."

Then I think they should be allowed in the first country they reach, after vetting as I think that's what is part of the universal declaration of human rights (TBC). But of course, can you vet? For example, can you obtain a criminal record in the country of origin that you can trust? For example in Syria, is it possible to bribe officials to clear you criminal record?

Then there's the concept of "economic refugees", not covered in the first definition. In that case I think they should not be allowed.

Mines safe.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:06 AM, Baerboxer said:

Were those Cubans really refugees or were they economic migrants hoping to by-pass immigration laws and enter the US?

All this was the result of the Carter Administration ineptness. They announced that any Cuban who made it to the US would be granted admission. Castro opened all the jails and mental institutions and dumped the inmates on ships and pushed them off to Miami. 

Some, but not too many.

In Canada we require they answer a skill testing question before entering.

How much wood can a Woodchuck chuck when a Woodchuck chucks some wood?

And when that Woodchuck chucks that wood, how far can the Woodchuck chuck that wood?

What is the answer?

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

YES! They should be allowed in...ALL OF THEM!  And why vet them it's is against their human rights.So again bring them ALL in! (just not in my neighborhood)

Sincerely,

-madonna

-ashley judd

-ashton kutcher

-alec baldwin

-joy behar

-whoopi

-rosie o'donnel

etc....etc...etc....etc...

• 1 month later...
In the U.S  a large minority if not a majority of families can trace there origins back to another country.
My family is from England on the mothers side and French-Canadian on my fathers side.
If you know your history most of the native born Americans are from immigrant roots.
we as Americans  hate to admit it but our country was built by foreigners since the 1500's.
I know that is not popular now but it is in fact the truth.
Now that our society has  become fat, stupid, and lazy we want to forget the fact that we are all immigrants from somewhere.
Fear is what breeds irrationality, and now Americans are afraid.
that is why we have Trump as president, irrational fear.
That is my opinion, whether you like it or not.

Immigration to the US was out of need for both the US and immigrant. There were jobs to be filed, land to be settled and so on. Different times

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
On 2/5/2017 at 9:47 AM, i claudius said:

The only time they should be allowed in is if they are willing to completely integrate into the society ,live amongst any other race and never demand anything , we all know who this would exclude .

based on a decade of reading thaivisa 98.5% of all Farangs would not qualify to live in Thailand  :smile:

On 2/5/2017 at 1:22 PM, IMA_FARANG said:
In the U.S  a large minority if not a majority of families can trace there origins back to another country.
My family is from England on the mothers side and French-Canadian on my fathers side.
If you know your history most of the native born Americans are from immigrant roots.
we as Americans  hate to admit it but our country was built by foreigners since the 1500's.
I know that is not popular now but it is in fact the truth.
Now that our society has  become fat, stupid, and lazy we want to forget the fact that we are all immigrants from somewhere.
Fear is what breeds irrationality, and now Americans are afraid.
that is why we have Trump as president, irrational fear.
That is my opinion, whether you like it or not.

:clap2:

11 minutes ago, Naam said:

based on a decade of reading thaivisa 98.5% of all Farangs would not qualify to live in Thailand  :smile:

Falangs aren't immigrants, we have to pay our own way in Thailand, bit different than asylum seekers who are leeching off a wealthier country.

58 minutes ago, Naam said:

But then 98.5 of us get nothing from the Thai Govt . a heck of a lot of us are married to Thai women and have kids , on the whole we are not allowed to work here so have to bring our own money to live on , and very few of us live in "falang" only enclaves ,centered around our place of worship and none of us cover ourselves head to toe in black bags and have our own courts ,now do we Naam , sorry "must do better":smile:

1 hour ago, i claudius said:

But then 98.5 of us get nothing from the Thai Govt . a heck of a lot of us are married to Thai women and have kids , on the whole we are not allowed to work here so have to bring our own money to live on , and very few of us live in "falang" only enclaves ,centered around our place of worship and none of us cover ourselves head to toe in black bags and have our own courts ,now do we Naam , sorry "must do better":smile:

You are conflating migration with asylum.

To use your example, if Thailand was to refuse its hospitality and the migrant was to return home they would not be in fear of persecution, loss of liberty or life.

49 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Surely you know the tricks by now the U.K. Use. Giro cashed by Chum,disability allowance claimed same way. An old Irish chap here told me all his fiddles to get money sent here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I know that Centrelink in Australia (department that pays pensions etc) is linked with immigration, so that they are aware of who leaves the country, and any payments for disability or dole or stopped the minute you leave the country. Aged pension payments aren't affected though, thank god.

39 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

You are conflating migration with asylum.

To use your example, if Thailand was to refuse its hospitality and the migrant was to return home they would not be in fear of persecution, loss of liberty or life.

Neither would 90% of the so-called asylum seekers, who are more like economic refugees.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, but within reasonable numbers and if lots of countries did that, hopefully they all could find a place. 

Yes, let's empty out Africa, there are 20 million of them about to starve to death, and the whole middle east is a basket case. The west can take them all, then watch the disaster unfold.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Yes, let's empty out Africa, there are 20 million of them about to starve to death, and the whole middle east is a basket case. The west can take them all, then watch the disaster unfold.

I get what you're saying. I was thinking more about refugees from active war zones. But you point out a difficult problem, if staying at home means starving to death, what's the difference? 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I get what you're saying. I was thinking more about refugees from active war zones. But you point out a difficult problem, if staying at home means starving to death, what's the difference? 

The point I was making was that the world is never short of conflicts, famine etc, when does it all end? A lot of these countries are mismanaged or ruled by warlords and despots, I say get your own house in order instead of fleeing to a country that has already sorted itself out. Isn't it the cuckoo that takes over another species nest rather than build one of it's own?

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The point I was making was that the world is never short of conflicts, famine etc, when does it all end? A lot of these countries are mismanaged or ruled by warlords and despots, I say get your own house in order instead of fleeing to a country that has already sorted itself out. Isn't it the cuckoo that takes over another species nest rather than build one of it's own?

Punish the innocent for others misdemeanors. 

Closer to home are you saying the Royhinga in Myanmar are responsible for their own persecution