Phuket hospitals rejecting migrant workers’ insurance

webfact

Phuket hospitals rejecting migrant workers’ insurance
By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM
THE NATION
PHUKET

686ab030e156cb83ff4058385d9e2b06.jpeg

The pregnant Myanmar migrant worker (the woman on the pink) works in a market in Phuket. Photo Pratch Rujivanarom

Some women are forced to abandon their babies at hospitals as they’re being denied universal health coverage

PHUKET: -- FINANCIAL difficulties in the healthcare system is leading to pregnant migrant workers only in Phuket province being denied access to Universal Coverage (UC) health insurance scheme when they deliver babies.

Usually migrant workers in Thailand are allowed to buy health insurance in order to get access to affordable services while living in the Kingdom, paying Bt2,100 annually for UC insurance. That insurance is equivalent to coverage under the Bt30 scheme widely used by citizens.

However, many migrant worker families in Phuket face bankruptcy due to medical expenses incurred after having a baby, as they have to pay the full cost of health services. The Provincial Public Health Office has stated that hospitals will be overburdened with expenses if it allows pregnant workers to buy insurance.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30305745

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-06

Ugly , It's onlty the money that count for thai hospitals . If you cannot pay the price , go die somewhere else ... disgusting .

And BKK or RAM Hospital is a TOTAL rip - off . I know what I am talking about . The doctors work for the hospital , not for you . It is their first priority to make money for their employer . They try to sell you services and even dangerous operations that you do not need and could be avoided . Only for the money .

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Usually migrant workers in Thailand are allowed to buy health insurance in order to get access to affordable services while living in the Kingdom, paying Bt2,100 annually for UC insurance. That insurance is equivalent to coverage under the Bt30 scheme widely used by citizens.

I know its not a real high standard of Health care---but it would be nice if that option was also available to migrant retirees

If they are not going to accept the Insurance, why sell it to them in the first place?

Utterly disgraceful, and I hope, probably in vain, that Central Government will pick up on what may be practice in a single area.

Bearing in mind that the Thai Constitution itself, states that every person, regardless of race, origin or religion shall be entitled to the same level of medical care.

This county has a tendency to ignore, partially or wholly, inconvenient laws, especially if it involves money.

2 hours ago, pumpuy said:

The doctors work for the hospital , not for you

I think they work for themselves in the private hospitals.

On the bills there is always a breakdown, with "surgeon's fees" always coming in at some huge number, even for a minor operation.

Presumably that is all for the doctor.

The article says:
»...The Provincial Public Health Office disclosed that in the 2016 budget year, three public hospitals in Phuket – Vachira Phuket Hospital, Patong Hospital and Talang Hospital – spent a total of Bt94.11 million on medical services for migrant workers, which included neonatal services.«

and

»...According to the MNP, there are around 300,000 migrant workers in Phuket, nearly half of whom have not registered with authorities or have UC insurance

If the spending are 95 million baht for migrant workers and half of 300,000 is registered, i.e. 150,000, and all carry a mandatory health insurance, I cannot see the problem. 1) 95,000,000 baht / 150,000 = 634 baht each worker; and 2) 150,000 x 2,100 baht insurance = 315,000,000 baht; i.e. 315 million baht.

Furthermore, if the employers pay a mandatory Social Security, which also covers migrant workers and other foreign workers with a health card, then 10% of salary of min. 300 baht/day x typically 6 days a week; i.e. 10 % of 8,000 baht is 800 baht a month for each migrant worker; that's totaling some 9,000 baht a year. The Social Security olso include paid leave after birth, think it's 3 month, and some minor fee in child support, which relatively can be of big help when on minimum wage. However, the custom is that the worker pays half, i.e. 5% or around 400 baht a month; and the employer pays the other half, another 400 baht a month on top of the salary; which might be the major problem.

With the musketeer oath, "one for all, and all for one", which is the basis of insurance, it should be quite possible to cover (all) the migrant workers – if the will is there – the military government and the general primeminister has with strong will made numerous other things possible, so why should this not also be possible..?

:smile: