Opening a bank account on a tourist visa

2 hours ago, newjohnny said:

Foreign transfer fees are prohibitively expensive from US banks and the exchange rate is bad. I deposit cash into my account when I get to Thailand. It's safer than a hotel safe (which I rarely have anyway)and much cheaper than making endless ATM withdrawals.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have no choice in the matter, the money is coming from a bank based in Europe. As far as I can see after some minor research online it seems like the fees on the thai end are managable. 

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

True. A friend of mine with a German/European passeport, 30 day visa was refused in every branch he tried in Bangkok, Hua Hin and Phuket,  This was in january 2017.

Pattaya beach road branch bkk will open one on tourist visa. May 2017 with cert of residence

Edited by jeab1980

I had all sorts of problems opening an account in Hua Hin on a retirement visa and I have 4 accounts already with this bank but in different provinces 

I think that the counter staff are afraid to make a mistake so put  obstacles in the way which is mostly about prove of address in the end I used my driving licence as prove of address if you have a problem try to see the manager

2 hours ago, trigpoint said:

You can't get a certificate of residence on a tourist visa.

Beg to differ you can at jontiem helped to  opened an account for a friend in May no problem getting cert on tourist visa using hotel as residence.

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Beg to differ you can at jontiem helped to  opened an account for a friend in May no problem getting cert on tourist visa using hotel as residence.

There's always one that says that, every time this opening a bank account comes up, about every 2 months or so, don't all tourist's stay in a hotel?

Every different bank has it's own policies.

Each different branch of the same bank can change those policies to the way that suits the branch.

From town to town the policies vary from bank to bank and branch to branch.:cheesy:

A mess? Oh c'mon....enjoy and welcome to Thailand! :welcomeani:

In my experience banks (in Pattaya) ask for a work permit and if you don't have one then they won't open an account, even if you have an existing account in the same branch.

Only exception I have come across was SCB on Klang which opened an account with a non-O visa.

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

True. A friend of mine with a German/European passeport, 30 day visa was refused in every branch he tried in Bangkok, Hua Hin and Phuket,  This was in january 2017.

it sounds like your friend was on a 30 day visa exempt entry (not a visa).  nearly impossible to open an account without having at least a tourist visa.  

28 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

There's always one that says that, every time this opening a bank account comes up, about every 2 months or so, don't all tourist's stay in a hotel?

Listen i couldnt give a dam wether you belive me or not. Im stating a fact . And no not all tourists stay in a hotel. Have a nice day now

18 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

In my experience banks (in Pattaya) ask for a work permit and if you don't have one then they won't open an account, even if you have an existing account in the same branch.

Only exception I have come across was SCB on Klang which opened an account with a non-O visa.

Beach road bkk on tourist visa May 2017

it sounds like your friend was on a 30 day visa exempt entry (not a visa).  nearly impossible to open an account without having at least a tourist visa.  

Possible. Banks don't distinguish tourist visa and visa exemption stamp when make their decision. I opened saving account with debit card and internet banking in bkk bank head quarter last December. I had passport with visa exemption stamp ending in two weeks and affidavit with my Thailand address notarized by vice consul.

4 minutes ago, SergeD said:

Possible. Banks don't distinguish tourist visa and visa exemption stamp when make their decision. I opened saving account with debit card and internet banking in bkk bank head quarter last December. I had passport with visa exemption stamp ending in two weeks and affidavit with my Thailand address notarized by vice consul.

i wasn't able to open an account at bangkok bank's head office on silom road (bangkok) with a visa exempt entry.  i had to wait until i got a tourist visa (per their instructions).  i opened mine in feb of 2016.  i also had to provide a copy of my apartment lease (with a letter from manager saying it was 'real') and i had to visit the US embassy so they could provide a letter that my passport was 'real'. 

it just goes to show that the rules vary, bank to bank, bank officer to bank officer.  but from my experience and reading on the subject over the last year (here on TV), it is difficult to open a bank account on a visa exempt entry.  definitely more success stories from holders of tourist visas than visa exempt entries. 

i had to wait until i got a tourist visa (per their instructions). 

Apparently in bkk bank rules mentioned tourist visa (not visa exemption stamp) but for the vast majority of people including bank officers this means visitor's status (tourist), not the way of entry. This is partly psychological issue, partly weak staff training.
Before successful account opening I had visited a lot of banks branches trying to open an account with visa exemption stamp in my passport only. Kasikornbank officers firmly insisted on work permit but SCB and BKK bank managers all as one suggested to me just bring "a reference letter from embassy". No one mentioned about visa type.
Btw, officer who opened my account refused to switch it to internet bank because I didn't have tabien baan. I didn't start useless argument, just went to another branch with my passport and bank book and got a letter and email with my credentials in few days.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You can get a certificate of residence with a non imm O visa, never the less a lot of banks will open an account on that evidence only.

I opened a Kasikorn bank  account years ago with no questions asked about my visa status. All they required was to see my passport and to provide an address. Kasikorn banks were recommended on this forum for being friendly and easy going in this respect. But it was stated that it is at the discretion of the branch manager so dependent on whether he is 'farang' friendly or not, or whether they want the hassle if no staff speak English.

I opened a Bangkok Bank account in London (over the phone) even longer ago just because their money transfers were £5 cheaper than Swift transfers. However I never used it but they did tell me at the time that the international Bangkok bank was totally separate from Bangkok Bank Thailand, so I doubt if it would help in opening an account in Thailand. In fact that was probably my train of thought at that time and the fact that I ended up with a Kasikorn account indicates that it was not possible for me.

Keep in mind - 

You can open a SAVINGS account at most banks on a 30 day stamp. You need a Residency Certificate as they need an address to send your statements to.

For a CHEQUING account you will probably be asked for a work permit and visa as well.

I have opened numerous bank accounts (Savings and Fixed Term) at Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial with just a 30 day stamp and Residency certificate. Even now, with a 1 year Retirement Extension, I would still need  a Residency Certificate to open a new account at a bank (though I can open new Fixed Term accounts at my current bank as they are just rolling over the old accounts).

As soon as Bangkok Bank saw I had the Retirement Visa/Extension, they gave me the Internet (iBank) access as well.

People get "Chequing" and "Savings" mixed up perhaps and there are more than a few people out there that should not have a chequing account and the banks know it. That is why they have different requirements for them.

My dear old (departed) Dad tried to open a Savings account and was turned down only because he had less than a week remaining on his 30 day stamp. When he returned 6 weeks later with a new stamp, no problem !

Toom a colleague to open an account at Kasikorn last Thursday. 

Only document he had was his passport. On a tourist visa. 

Account openex, atm/debit card issued and internet banking set up.

In and out in 30 minutes. 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, the guest said:

Banks are not allowed to open an account for tourists. 

That is not true, although many banks will tell  you that. Often they will tell you a lie that they can not legally do it.

I have two Bangkok Bank accounts.

One was opened here on a Non O immigrant visa, the other was opened later on a tourist visa.

I understand the fact that I had my first account for well over a year BEFORE I tried to open the 2nd account with a tourist visa later.

That probably had a lot to do with opening the 2nd account.

Just my experience.

All this yes you can No you cant. Have to have non o/WP/ Ext of stay.

Everybody has diffrent views just the same as banks have diffrent views. Easiest way go into bank and ask. I have recently (May) been able to help a mate  on visa on arrival open a bank account all that was needed was a cert of residence (yes you can get one on a visa exempt). Two months ago i opened a new account in Kasikornbank  Khon kaen tesco lotus 2 branch on a yellow book and ID card full  internet banking. Yet one of my Bkk  accounts which i opened years ago via my  employer i still cant get Internet banking off them! The other i opened to put 400k in when i was doing Extensions of stay I got internet banking straight away. Proves all branches of all banks interpret the banks rules diffrently. Just keep plugging away you will get one.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

interesting comments....what seems to be a common denominator is the residency certificate with a 30 day tourist visa waiver....however, if a tourist is staying in a hotel or a rented home, how would he be able to obtain a residency certificate?...seems a bit unlikely???

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

interesting comments....what seems to be a common denominator is the residency certificate with a 30 day tourist visa waiver....however, if a tourist is staying in a hotel or a rented home, how would he be able to obtain a residency certificate?...seems a bit unlikely???

In a hotel you get a letter from front desk to say your residing there for x amount of days. Some give it straight away (three i know of on soi 8 Pattaya. Some um and ah 300bht usualy does the trick. Rented home the same ask rhe owner for a letter or your rental agreement should do it. Then off to immigration easy.

how would he be able to obtain a residency certificate?

Get an affidavit with your address in consulate. It substitutes residency certificate as well. In this case you don't need to show any evidence of your address to consulate officers. If you live in a hotel just don't mention its name when filling affidavit form, write down your address as usual residential.

• 4 weeks later...

Why not just read about what the banks require?  They all have web sites !  

Here is what the Bangkok Bank require to open an account. 

Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

• Passport and one of the following documents:
    2.1 A letter of reference from one of the following:
        • Embassy or international organization
        • An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
        • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

Meet  the requirements !  It's easy !