Lady Gaga soars over Super Bowl stage with bow to inclusion

webfact

Lady Gaga soars over Super Bowl stage with bow to inclusion

By Piya Sinha-Roy

REUTERS

r16.jpg

Singer Lady Gaga performs during the halftime show at Super Bowl LI between the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons in Houston, Texas, U.S., February 5, 2017. REUTERS/Adrees Latif

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Standing atop the roof of Houston's NRG Stadium with drones illuminating an American flag in the night sky behind her, Lady Gaga kicked off her Super Bowl halftime set on Sunday by singing "God Bless America" as a subtle message of inclusion and unity in a deeply divided United States.

As many speculated about whether the outspoken singer would use her spotlight to address women's rights, immigration or President Donald Trump, Gaga recited part of the American Pledge of Allegiance, "one nation, indivisible with liberty and justice for all," in her opening song.

She then swung down from the roof to a stage suspended on cables and embarked on a meticulously choreographed 13-minute set of her greatest hits during the National Football League championship game between the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons.

This year's Super Bowl followed a fierce presidential election campaign which Trump won in November but which left the country at least as fractured afterwards as before it began. Trump was greeted with massive protests just after taking office on Jan. 20, and his policy moves have sparked further protests and controversy in the first weeks of his presidency.

Ahead of her high-profile performance, watched by more than 100 million U.S. viewers, Gaga, 30, said in a post on the Instagram social media network that she planned to headline the slot entirely on her own, eschewing a tradition of halftime main acts bringing on special guests.

Dressed in a silver, sequined bodysuit and matching heeled boots, Gaga sang her dance hits "Poker Face" and "Born This Way" - an anthem for self-confidence and inclusion - as she performed aerial acrobatics while suspended in the air.

She then descended onto the stage to dance through "Telephone" and "Just Dance" before running through the crowd to a piano, where she sang new song, "Million Reasons," giving a shout-out to her parents while she performed.

After joining her diverse cadre of dancers for "Bad Romance," the singer, known for her flair for the dramatic, ended her set by dropping her microphone, catching a football and jumping off a set of stairs onto the field.

While Gaga avoided making explicit political statements during her set, it was Renee Elise Goldsberry, Phillipa Soo, and Jasmine Cephas Jones, the Schuyler sisters on hit Broadway musical "Hamilton," who caused a stir with a subtle statement of support for women.

As the trio sang "America the Beautiful" before the start of the game, they added the words "and sisterhood," in the first verse that contained the words "And crown thy good with brotherhood, from sea to shining sea."

The addition was immediately picked up on social media and became a top trend on Twitter.

(Reporting by Piya Sinha-Roy; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-06

Did anybody else notice this? A typical "fake news" report by Rueters!  Go back and listen again to the words of Lady Gaga's song.  She sings of "inclusiveness", but the reporter conveniently forgot to tell us that she actually "included" the words "under God" in her reciting of the American Pledge of Allegiance.  Here's what the reporter wrote.... Gaga recited part of the American Pledge of Allegiance, "one nation, indivisible with liberty and justice for all," in her opening song. The hypocritical liberal mass media wants to be politically correct, and they stand behind the tree hugging all tolerant liberals, but they themselves do not want to include the name of God in their reporting. The liberals want inclusion, but they want to pick and choose who or what they want to include. The irony and hypocrisy is sickening!  

Best NFL game I have ever seen and L Gaga was terrific performing in a true show person way. One of the great recent sporting spectacles.

I like the edge re songline commentary but this super bowl had a lot going on.

4 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

Did anybody else notice this? A typical "fake news" report by Rueters!  Go back and listen again to the words of Lady Gaga's song.  She sings of "inclusiveness", but the reporter conveniently forgot to tell us that she actually "included" the words "under God" in her reciting of the American Pledge of Allegiance.  Here's what the reporter wrote.... Gaga recited part of the American Pledge of Allegiance, "one nation, indivisible with liberty and justice for all," in her opening song. The hypocritical liberal mass media wants to be politically correct, and they stand behind the tree hugging all tolerant liberals, but they themselves do not want to include the name of God in their reporting. The liberals want inclusion, but they want to pick and choose who or what they want to include. The irony and hypocrisy is sickening!  

If the worst you can say about so-called "liberals" is that they left out a mythical creature, then fine.

For your information, there are many conservatives who are not believers in God or a god. Try talking to a few conservative Buddhists. Just as there are many theists around who are "liberal" in the sense I think you want to use it.

Trolling that Liberals are by definition atheist is not going to get you far as in fact many liberals are true believers!

4 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

If the worst you can say about so-called "liberals" is that they left out a mythical creature, then fine.

For your information, there are many conservatives who are not believers in God or a god. Try talking to a few conservative Buddhists. Just as there are many theists around who are "liberal" in the sense I think you want to use it.

Trolling that Liberals are by definition atheist is not going to get you far as in fact many liberals are true believers!

You're missing the point my friend!  I'm talking of "fake news" here.  If this reporter erroneously reported this story and left out the name of God, then how can you be sure that any other report that you are reading is truthful? Skip a word here, add a word there and suddenly the story is completely twisted and slanted in a different direction and we are fooled and brainwashed.  News stories shape our very opinions, and that's exactly why you see thousands of protesters in the streets of the US who have been swayed by the false reporting of the mass media as pertains to President Trump and his policies. We live in a world where the news is not news anymore, but simply the pushing of an agenda.  We should all be livid over this matter, yet we sit back like sheep and are led astray to the slaughter.

1 hour ago, fittobethaied said:

We should all be livid over this matter, yet we sit back like sheep and are led astray to the slaughter.

Not to worry we have been led to slaughter for decades and centuries. Its not Trump alternative truths that I refer to but the outright lies of all politicians for decades. I can almost listen to a politician give a speech and before he opens his mouth I say to myself "Yep here comes another horse pucky" Years of instinct have built up. Your on a HS merry go round and the music and the mechanism never stops. 

It was a fantastic performance and well worth watching.   I don't tend to read a lot into these performances unless they are 'in your face.'   She did a great job and the message was not to bold, not understated.  

For me, it did what it was suppose to do.   It entertained me.  

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

I cant think of a single musician who wouldn't be in favour of inclusion…..more fans, more twitter followers to lap up their antics.

Surprised they didnt trot out a few refugees at the stadium and give out a few medals.

Still looking for those lefties and their subliminal messages, I see.    

It was a great performance.   Not particularly political, just a touch a nationalism.   No one was required to watch it; no one will have to obey any written directive or order from it.   Just enjoy it or not.   

is there a link anywhere to her show ?

I watched some of it and thought it was very good......

:smile:

and the game was what you wanted in a Super Bowl ,  the favored team get beat up but coming back in overtime to win, 

a real Hollywood ending:smile: