Photos of Isuzu in bad accident... time to slow down

davidst01

Check out the photos below of an isuzu that rolled whilst driving rather fast on a country road in the S.E. The driver survived.

It makes me want to slow down. In certain conditions the rear end can lose it and its happened to me once on loose gravel. Is that bc it is rear wheel drive?

Happy driving...

IMG_5473.JPG

IMG_7417.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

IMG_5430.JPG

In certain conditions the rear end can lose it and its happened to me once on loose gravel. Is that bc it is rear wheel drive?

Not so much the fact it's rear wheel drive, more to do with there being no weight over the rear axle when it's empty. A mate of mine in London back in the '80s had a Dodge pick up with a big V8. He had to put several bags of sand in the back to stop it being too tail-happy.

17 minutes ago, 007cableguy said:

In the U.K. That would be written off but it will soon be back on the road

I spontaneously thought "this is not the first time this car looks like that..." I think some Khun Mike and his Mekkanicks fixed a previous, similarly severe accident about that car already

Edited by thurien

57 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

In certain conditions the rear end can lose it and its happened to me once on loose gravel. Is that bc it is rear wheel drive?

Partly because of RWD, partly very stiff suspension (needed for heavy loads), partly not enough weight over the rear wheels, sometimes over-inflated tyres, but mainly too much weight on the right foot.

(IME)

just  get  25  Thais  to  stand on the  tail, thatll  fix  it.............actually  the amount of cars you see like this with accidents of this  heavy type here regularly is astoudning, rare to see in the UK

11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Partly because of RWD, partly very stiff suspension (needed for heavy loads), partly not enough weight over the rear wheels, sometimes over-inflated tyres, but mainly too much weight on the right foot.

(IME)

Semi epileptic rear end - 

22 minutes ago, KKr said:

it seems a rollbar would not be a luxury  :shock1:

Correct tyre pressures and 2 bags of cement along with some pick up handling driving lessons would make it better.

For pick up trucks used as a car for private use,  4 wheel drive better and use it,  change rear suspension and make sure you inflate your own tyres makes safer truck IMO. 

RWD is not the problem The issue is the lack of weight over the axle, as observed already. Most of these utes are too twitchy in the arse end, the problem is compounded on a loose, drifting surface like gravel. But point taken, no matter what you drive or where, be careful folks.  :cool:

Edited by Essaybloke
Personal pride forbids that I should publish anything with a stupid grammatical error!

1 hour ago, 01322521959 said:

Thais in my experience don't have a clue about tyre pressures. When I picked up my little Yamaha Spark from the dealer both tyres had over 50psi in them. That's why I NEVER leave home on my bike without my tyre gauge.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

You'd be a mate for Warpee ... U R a long way from Dartford ... like Mrs J and myself ...

10 hours ago, kannot said:

just  get  25  Thais  to  stand on the  tail, thatll  fix  it.............actually  the amount of cars you see like this with accidents of this  heavy type here regularly is astoudning, rare to see in the UK

Not astounding really, it's just statistics.   Because there are relatively few pickups in the UK compared to the huge numbers here similar incidents are rarer.

6 hours ago, kwak250 said:

This is why I never buy a car front a tent currently looking for a Vigo extracab cab from a private owner .

I know they have lots of in those tents but chances are it looked like this.

Not really any more likely,  you don't necessarily know where the private owner bought it from, maybe a tent?  The established tents also have a reputation to protect that a private owner doesn't have.

3 hours ago, Essaybloke said:

RWD is not the problem The issue is the lack of weight over the axle, as observed already. Most of these utes are too twitchy in the arse end, the problem is compounded on a loose, drifting surface like gravel. But point taken, no matter what you drive or where, be careful folks.  :cool:

" Personal pride forbids that I should publish anything with a stupid grammatical error! "

Shame that your personal pride didn't forbid you to overlook a couple of those "stupid, grammatical errors" (your words, not mine) even after the edit!  :cool:

Edited by gdgbb

16 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Not really any more likely,  you don't necessarily know where the private owner bought it from, maybe a tent?  The established tents also have a reputation to protect that a private owner doesn't have.

1 owner with service history always helps unlike 6+ from some of the tents

3 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

1 owner with service history always helps unlike 6+ from some of the tents

I'm aware of that.

Private sales frequently also have 6+ owners.

Edited by gdgbb

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Correct tyre pressures and 2 bags of cement along with some pick up handling driving lessons would make it better.

For pick up trucks used as a car for private use,  4 wheel drive better and use it,  change rear suspension and make sure you inflate your own tyres makes safer truck IMO. 

agree 100 percent that switching on the 4-wheel drive improves the road handling. 
even more so when the road is wet or dirty.
Actually, I did not even notice a significant difference in diesel consumption when comparing my 200 km commute in 2- or 4-wheel drive. When loaded, fuel economy was even better since average speed was a bit lower.

1 hour ago, KKr said:

agree 100 percent that switching on the 4-wheel drive improves the road handling. 
even more so when the road is wet or dirty.
Actually, I did not even notice a significant difference in diesel consumption when comparing my 200 km commute in 2- or 4-wheel drive. When loaded, fuel economy was even better since average speed was a bit lower.

Whoa there guys. You can only use AWD on the road.

Part-time 2WD/4WD you should only use 2WD on a tarmac road, even in the wet.

Using part-time 4WD other than off-road/snow/ice will lead to sever mechanical damage due to the props delivering the same RPM to the front and rear wheels whilst the front and rear wheels actually turn at different speeds. Say goodbye to your transfer box eventually.

Also your ABS, stability and traction control won't work properly.

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Re change rear suspension I have often tried to imagine taking out the rear axle and fitting in a new rear end unit with the same track dimensions so it's independant coils etc. Picture something similar to  the old E type cage rear end.

Was told it wouldn't pass it's yearly inspection and there would be tax problems as well.

Anyone know if it's legal or what?

17 hours ago, grollies said:

Whoa there guys. You can only use AWD on the road.

Part-time 2WD/4WD you should only use 2WD on a tarmac road, even in the wet.

Using part-time 4WD other than off-road/snow/ice will lead to sever mechanical damage due to the props delivering the same RPM to the front and rear wheels whilst the front and rear wheels actually turn at different speeds. Say goodbye to your transfer box eventually.

Also your ABS, stability and traction control won't work properly.

I wondered when someone would mention this,  yes right but l still engaged 4WD in the wet.

Does depend how strong the drivetrain design is it felt much safer in the wet, only disengaged when coming into a village or making tight turns into garages or reversing.

Couldn't see the point of having 4WD if l didn't use it and was prepared to put my money where my mouth was so to speak if things went wrong.

Would be good if they put a proper 4WD set up on at least one of the pick up model line ups.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Re change rear suspension I have often tried to imagine taking out the rear axle and fitting in a new rear end unit with the same track dimensions so it's independant coils etc. Picture something similar to  the old E type cage rear end.

Was told it wouldn't pass it's yearly inspection and there would be tax problems as well.

Anyone know if it's legal or what?

Don't ever believe what l'm told until l find out from the correct department.

Legal dunno if that would apply, can't see a problem if the alteration were an improvement and permission was given for the changes by the right authorities.

Honda make the perfect pick up the Ridgeline but l guess too expensive for the Thai truck market. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I wondered when someone would mention this,  yes right but l still engaged 4WD in the wet.

You wondered because, deep down, you know I'm right :smile:

Does depend how strong the drivetrain design is it felt much safer in the wet, only disengaged when coming into a village or making tight turns into garages or reversing.

If you feel safer in 4WD in wet road conditions you need, as the topic says, to slow down, not engage 4WD, especially in a pickup. :1zgarz5:

Couldn't see the point of having 4WD if l didn't use it and was prepared to put my money where my mouth was so to speak if things went wrong.

Just curious, why did you buy a 4WD motor?

Me for our muddy road into the house, collecting kee yang amongst the trees and the occasional off-road jaunt.

I don't use it much. Make sure you engage once a month to keep everything lubed - similar to one's personal life.:wub:

Would be good if they put a proper 4WD set up on at least one of the pick up model line ups.

.....and you're right, it's your wallet.

1 hour ago, grollies said:

You wondered because, deep down, you know I'm right :smile:

Not because your right because it can be done if you want. :thumbsup:

If you feel safer in 4WD in wet road conditions you need, as the topic says, to slow down, not engage 4WD, especially in a pickup.

Nah disagree. :biggrin:  

Just curious, why did you buy a 4WD motor?

Novelty really never had a truck before or 4WD.

Didn't realize till l got it,  it weren't a proper one. :whistling:

and you're right, it's your wallet.

Not really it's the rubbish line up trucks sold here. :biggrin:

Not that l need another truck again but if l did a FWD truck would suit me better.