Legal battle over travel ban pits Trump's powers against his own words

webfact

23 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

You do realize that the court has not ruled yet? LOL.

What I realize is neither here nor there.  Put that straw man away before you cause a fire.

We're talking about you predicting that everything would change after the weekend.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

why bother with a ban…just instruct the US embassies to turn down all visa applications from citizens of these countries. They don't have to give any reasons.

personally, I think the ban is a publicity stunt + a political manipulation.

Trump always expected US courts to overturn the ban. So the ban would be short lived anyway, and then there is somewhere the immoral hope that a terror act will happen after the ban had been lifted...

17 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

I don't think anyone realizes the strategy that the president has put into play. He has created a stalemate in the courts. On one side he has his executive powers on the other he has the constitution. The courts are the battlefield  and as we all know once any ruling is made it's open to appeal after appeal.

Hence he has created a situation that virtually guarantees that there will be no terrorist attack in the USA at least not until a final decision is made which could take years.

Well done Mr President!!!   

OMG What world do you live in. That has to be the most unrealistic posing ever. None of the 7 countries has any attackers. Some how your implying that zero goes less <deleted>

5 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Everything has changed. The DOJ has responded with their legal argument. Now we have to see if the executive order will be upheld in San Francisco or the Supreme Court. Any more nitpicking?

U.S. appeals court upholds suspension of Trump travel ban

Edited by simple1

6 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Everything has changed. The DOJ has responded with their legal argument. Now we have to see if the executive order will be upheld in San Francisco or the Supreme Court. Any more nitpicking?

Nope.  You lost.  Be gracious in defeat. LOL

6 hours ago, manarak said:

personally, I think the ban is a publicity stunt + a political manipulation.

Trump always expected US courts to overturn the ban. So the ban would be short lived anyway, and then there is somewhere the immoral hope that a terror act will happen after the ban had been lifted...

Hmm maybe Trumps new CIA Director is planning something already ;)

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

U.S. appeals court upholds suspension of Trump travel ban

The man has shown that he intends to keep promises….now it's up to the fates. If the situation deteriorates, the american people will know that it won't be his fault. 

8 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

The man has shown that he intends to keep promises….now it's up to the fates. If the situation deteriorates, the american people will know that it won't be his fault. 

Of course not, nothing is Trump's fault.   We know that the buck doesn't stop with him.   

6 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

What happened to putting crooked Hillary in jail?  Or the border wall (that may now be a fence, or just use natural barriers).  Ban all Muslins?  Etc, etc, etc.  So no, he doesn't keep his promises.  Luckily!!!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37982000

Trump's promises before and after the election

19 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

That's a matter of opinion. As President, IMO, he has to take ownership if at the end of the process the EO does not stand up in a Court of law.

Edited by simple1

32 minutes ago, simple1 said:

That's a matter of opinion. As President, IMO, he has to take ownership if at the end of the process the EO does not stand up in a Court of law.

ok….if you say so…..that's opinion 1.0

we are now in the age of opinion 2.0, or dare I say opinion 3.0….twitter/youtube is the new opinion shaper

People have wised up to the rantings of cnn and rachel maddow on msnbc….

13 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

we are now in the age of opinion 2.0, or dare I say opinion 3.0….twitter/youtube is the new opinion shaper

I would put it the other way...

People have wised up to the rantings of Trump, his supporters and alt news

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Blindness suits you.  Banning the Muslims was his idea. But he din not indeed do that. Read his EO. No "promise" kept. The entire nation knows anther attack will take place. What is more likely whatever the truths will be about the perpetrators donald will twist it anyway he pleases to prove he is right. BLINDness.

5 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Blindness suits you.  Banning the Muslims was his idea. But he din not indeed do that. Read his EO. No "promise" kept. The entire nation knows anther attack will take place. What is more likely whatever the truths will be about the perpetrators donald will twist it anyway he pleases to prove he is right. BLINDness.

you're from california…enough said.

41 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

CNN is only ranting due to the crazy antics of Trump.  Great reason to rant.  Trump's lost the plot, if he ever had it.

Nothing wrong with CNN.

Trump makes this worse by insulting and meddling in the court. It is exceptionally wrong for an elected official to criticize  a judge and it is a breach of constitutional protocol. This is how people get impeached.If Trump keeps attacking judges he will be charged with intimidation and undue influence. 

BTW, this should restore some faith in the USA. The system does work. There is a separation of power and the judiciary is independent. Quite a difference from the taint we have seen in some countries. The USA Constitution is an amazing thing and really does protect the country.

Edited by geriatrickid

Interesting the higher court said it wouldn't wade in before the lower court/judge that issued the stop order had a chance to review all the evidence.  Indicating what?  That the lower court judge didn't do that already?  He did seem anxious to jump in front of the cameras and do a "me against the world" martyr act though.

The subtle, amusing irony here is the judge and/or Trump may have acted prematurely or even inappropriately but both seem to agree that stop until we can figure out what the hell is going on, could, in fact, be the right answer.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

BTW, this should restore some faith in the USA. The system does work. There is a separation of power and the judiciary is independent. Quite a difference from the taint we have seen in some countries. The USA Constitution is an amazing thing and really does protect the country.

My bold. You are right Geriatrickid, with one caveat - 'When it is allowed to'. There are unscrupulous people at this moment that are trying to file your constitution in the bin!

48 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Interesting the higher court said it wouldn't wade in before the lower court/judge that issued the stop order had a chance to review all the evidence.  Indicating what?  That the lower court judge didn't do that already?  He did seem anxious to jump in front of the cameras and do a "me against the world" martyr act though.

The subtle, amusing irony here is the judge and/or Trump may have acted prematurely or even inappropriately but both seem to agree that stop until we can figure out what the hell is going on, could, in fact, be the right answer.

It indicates that the lower court Judge made a decision on the available information at the time. More evidence was requested but was 'unavailable'. The Higher Court Judges are very clever (as you would expect), by referring back to the lower court, then the lower court will go to trial during which full 'discovery' procedures will take place - that means calling witnesses and demanding written records from the Government. We would find out who really was consulted during the writing of this EO and importantly who was not consulted. Bannon never understood things would be so tricky and difficult when he got in power.

I agree with your last line - The Judges need to put a ban on this ban until we find out what the hell is going on - with the Administration.

Edited by Andaman Al

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

So far it has been about the stay of the ban, now it will go back and the ban itself can be judged.

3 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me. Sad your not man enough to respond with any facts. Just like all the trump supporters.

what facts are needed….california is an established anti trump state. We understand you're outraged. Enough said.

30 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

what facts are needed….california is an established anti trump state. We understand you're outraged. Enough said.

I know staying on a subject matter can be difficult for some, like yourself. Referring to California as anti trump has little to do with the postings.  

7 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

In no way am I outraged by him winning the election. I support the American process, unlike trump. He has had a rough three weeks and t will only continue to get worse I bet. Stay on subject, quit generalizing and calling others who differ from you names. 

US presidential elections never stop amusing and surprising me.

During the election campaign period the whole of US and the rest of the world saw Trump's rather childish behaviour.

No problem, make him President.

Becoming President elect and then President the childish behaviour continues same as before.

The US is a weird country, weird. Difficult to take any US political announcements seriously. Baba Bobo flourish.