Best mexican in town

Xaos

7 hours ago, NickJ said:

Chewys Tamales is pretty good. In jomthien. Beach Rd. I guess about soi 18. Not sure. Great refries 

A google search and a google map search comes up empty.  I guess I'll head out today and look for it on Soi 18 hopefully.

2 hours ago, gforsi said:

Did you find the place in sai18? I might be heading out there tomorrow. :D

It's not on Jomtien beach road. I looked for it tonight and after driving up and down all the way to the end and a couple of extra times around soi 18 I could not find it. I settled for Just burgers which is in that area.

Also stopped by Pastrami on rye about 9pm. They were closed no one in sight. Usually they close at 10pm. A paper sigh said "Open 10pm" I guess they meant 10am.

Edited by marinediscoking

7 hours ago, marinediscoking said:

It's not on Jomtien beach road. I looked for it tonight and after driving up and down all the way to the end and a couple of extra times around soi 18 I could not find it. I settled for Just burgers which is in that area.

Also stopped by Pastrami on rye about 9pm. They were closed no one in sight. Usually they close at 10pm. A paper sigh said "Open 10pm" I guess they meant 10am.

Remarkable...as I mentioned, we will ride up and down, around over and under looking for a taco truck...There was one sort of place at the top of Soi 10, tried it once about six months ago. Horrible. To add to today's mystery, Just Burgers closed over a year ago, the "owner" moving back to the USA. Maybe someone took it over? So onward we go in search of reasonable Mexican food. Sure, Dave's or Mike's is good, but reasonable? I think not....God Bless You and Mexico. 

Tequila Reef was good many moons ago but the area and parking are an issue. On soi 7.

That has some awful reviews on google. I remember years ago it was ok. Is it really that bad, has anyone tried it recently?

3 hours ago, DMC1 said:

That has some awful reviews on google. I remember years ago it was ok. Is it really that bad, has anyone tried it recently?

I went there last week and thought it was just average.  But I am spoiled coming from So. Cali with some great Mex. food.

Mike's was better I thought

One thing about these place is they never have Guacamole.  I see Avocados in the markets for 100 b.  Expensive and they do spoil easily.  So, I was thinking about making my own and bringing it in.

On 09/02/2017 at 3:14 PM, NormanW said:

Tequila Reef was good many moons ago but the area and parking are an issue. On soi 7.

Never thought much of  the food there.

But loved the Jugs of margarita's there.   Aroy. Mak Mak

Nice to see a food thread with out one particular poster jumping all

over everyone with size 9's  on.:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Remarkable...as I mentioned, we will ride up and down, around over and under looking for a taco truck...There was one sort of place at the top of Soi 10, tried it once about six months ago. Horrible. To add to today's mystery, Just Burgers closed over a year ago, the "owner" moving back to the USA. Maybe someone took it over? So onward we go in search of reasonable Mexican food. Sure, Dave's or Mike's is good, but reasonable? I think not....God Bless You and Mexico. 

There were two Just Burgers on Jomtien Beach Rd, the one closest to the night market changed names and moved across the alley.  The other one past the stop light on Beach Road stayed open, not sure what current status is today though.

21 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

There were two Just Burgers on Jomtien Beach Rd, the one closest to the night market changed names and moved across the alley.  The other one past the stop light on Beach Road stayed open, not sure what current status is today though.

Justin had his other place at Metro Condo @ Soi 19.

13 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I always try the new places and always seem to end up back at Mike's spending my last 500 Baht. The rush to the unknown "Sai 18" is just another example of people rushing to find even a taco truck here. It remains a shame Taco Bell isn't available. 

It really is a shame that Taco Bell is not here.  They are all over Manila, Philippines, so it would not be that hard for them to expand here.  Having eaten at all of the places here (i.e. Pattaya-Jomtien), I would rather eat at Taco Bell.   Most of the existing places refuse to give you free salsa fresca and chips w/ your meal (standard thing to do in the USA).  One only gives you two small tortillas w/ an expensive fajita order (how cheap Charlie is that).  I am sick of rubber meat w/ no real Mexican spices and tasteless sauces, along with overpriced and watered down margaritas.  At least Taco Bell is not pretending to be anything but what it is.   The only decent Mexican food place is La Monita in Bangkok.  I have never seen a tamale place in Jomtien.  Is there such a place?  Where?  I have noticed that the soi dog population has decreased in Jomtien (joking, I hope).

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

3 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

It really is a shame that Taco Bell is not here.  They are all over Manila, Philippines, so it would not be that hard for them to expand here.  Having eaten at all of the places here (i.e. Pattaya-Jomtien), I would rather eat at Taco Bell.   Most of the existing places refuse to give you some free salsa fresca and chips w/ your meal (standard thing to do in the USA).  One only gives you two small tortillas w/ a fajita order (how cheap Charlie is that).  I am sick of rubber meat w/ no real Mexican spices and tasteless sauces, along with overpriced and watered down margaritas.  At least Taco Bell is not pretending to be anything but what it is.   The only decent Mexican food place is La Monita in Bangkok.  I have never seen a tamale place in Jomtien.  Is there such a place?  Where?  I have noticed that the soi dog population has decreased (joking, I hope).

Talking Bangkok Mex have you tried Charlie Brown's?  That's my TexMex go to.

On 2/9/2017 at 10:35 PM, NickJ said:

Chewys Tamales is pretty good. In jomthien. Beach Rd. I guess about soi 18. Not sure. Great refries 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that not only does this place "Chewy's Tamales" not exist now but that it quite possibly NEVER existed. If it did, let's see one trace online or a picture.

Edited by Jingthing