Availability of Uber across Phuket

booji

Uber was operational in Phuket for ~ 1 year or so .... definitely not available now.  You can test this on your App even while in Bangkok (by putting a Phuket Pickup/Dropoff Point).  

Like Dannie88 suggests above, use Grab (they have Limo, SUV and Taxi and oversized car).  They also have Grab Rental - a daily hire service flat fee of 8 hours for THB 2500.  Have a good trip.

20 hours ago, booji said:

Excellent! It appears to be good availability.

But I wonder why Grab and not Uber

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Because, same as in Pattaya, GRAB has partnered with the transport Mafia. That is why the fares will be 5-6 times more of what they should be and what they are in Bangkok.

Both in Phuket as well as in Pattaya, the app's name should be changed to CRAP

Because, same as in Pattaya, GRAB has partnered with the transport Mafia. That is why the fares will be 5-6 times more of what they should be and what they are in Bangkok

Oh no.....so if I wanted to go to from say Patong to Kamala its going to cost me B500?

28 minutes ago, booji said:

Oh no.....so if I wanted to go to from say Patong to Kamala its going to cost me B500?

I have no idea, just get a quote in case you stay there and you will know beforehand. Maybe not 500 but certainly not the 60-70 Baht it would cost on a proper Meter Taxi that follows the rules.

Fact is that the Taxis connected to GRAB in Phuket are those "Meter Taxis" that you can find at Malls and tourist spots and that quote you a fare of, yes, indeed 500 Baht for even a short distance.

In Chiang Mai it only works because UBER is using private cars and drivers. If Uber would try to establish this system in Phuket, Samui and Pattaya, a war would break out and assaults would be common

I have no idea, just get a quote in case you stay there and you will know beforehand. Maybe not 500 but certainly not the 60-70 Baht it would cost on a proper Meter Taxi that follows the rules.
Fact is that the Taxis connected to GRAB in Phuket are those "Meter Taxis" that you can find at Malls and tourist spots and that quote you a fare of, yes, indeed 500 Baht for even a short distance.
In Chiang Mai it only works because UBER is using private cars and drivers. If Uber would try to establish this system in Phuket, Samui and Pattaya, a war would break out and assaults would be common

It's unfortunate. I've always avoided Phuket in the past due to the transport issues. When I'm on holiday I just don't want to mess with it. Uber/Grab has been a game changer for me in places across SE Asia where I can relax and not worry about getting fleeced. I had heard that Phuket had been cleaned up after the government changed but I guess it's back to the old ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, booji said:

It's unfortunate. I've always avoided Phuket in the past due to the transport issues.

So did I.

But I will travel to Chiang Mai again soon after UBER gives you a new and formerly unknown feeling of freedom. Haven't been there for more than four years.

I was one of the first 10.000 folks to use the MYTEKSI app in Kuala Lumpur (they are GRAB now) in their very first month of operation, must have been back in 2012 or so, and I felt like Alice in Wonderland when I suddenly just could hop on a Taxi in KL without endless discussions about the fare and the "traffic jam" that made my destination even more expensive and a nuisance according to the driver. Never looked back since then. Great they are in KK, Kuching, Penang, Melacca and JB now too !

So did I.

But I will travel to Chiang Mai again soon after UBER gives you a new and formerly unknown feeling of freedom. Haven't been there for more than four years.
I was one of the first 10.000 folks to use the MYTEKSI app in Kuala Lumpur (they are GRAB now) in their very first month of operation, must have been back in 2012 or so, and I felt like Alice in Wonderland when I suddenly just could hop on a Taxi in KL without endless discussions about the fare and the "traffic jam" that made my destination even more expensive and a nuisance according to the driver. Never looked back since then. Great they are in KK, Kuching, Penang, Melacca and JB now too !

My exact feelings too! I've used Grab in all those Malaysian cities and it has been excellent. My last trip to KK it was less than RM9 from airport to city - I actually felt guilty. The driver told me that he is retired and does not make any money from it, but driving was a good way to get out of the house. I was in SGN and a 5km ride was something like USD$1.50 and so easy to get. Total game changer for just being able to relax and not have to fight on every trip.

On 12/02/2017 at 7:41 PM, booji said:

My exact feelings too! I've used Grab in all those Malaysian cities and it has been excellent. My last trip to KK it was less than RM9 from airport to city - I actually felt guilty. The driver told me that he is retired and does not make any money from it, but driving was a good way to get out of the house. I was in SGN and a 5km ride was something like USD$1.50 and so easy to get. Total game changer for just being able to relax and not have to fight on every trip.

KK is indeed the best example for those rip-offs finally coming to an end. This rip-offs have been in place since 2001 when I was at KK for the first time. Last time they wanted 35RM for that less than 10 minutes drive along the coastal highway without any traffic jam to downtown. After midnight it got even more laughable when they charged 50% extra. I am so glad these organized scammers get the boot now. last time in KK I used the Airport Bus which was convenient, but agree, 9 RM for a Grab car is the best option. If u think it's not enough (and I agree it indeed is not), we r free to add a few Ringgit as a tip.

I have a friend in KK who sometimes drives for Uber, but he stopped as he cannot really make money from it. Maybe they are moving from one extreme to the other there (same seems to be the case in Chiang Mai)

KK is indeed the best example for those rip-offs finally coming to an end. This rip-offs have been in place since 2001 when I was at KK for the first time. Last time they wanted 35RM for that less than 10 minutes drive along the coastal highway without any traffic jam to downtown. After midnight it got even more laughable when they charged 50% extra. I am so glad these organized scammers get the boot now. last time in KK I used the Airport Bus which was convenient, but agree, 9 RM for a Grab car is the best option. If u think it's not enough (and I agree it indeed is not), we r free to add a few Ringgit as a tip.
I have a friend in KK who sometimes drives for Uber, but he stopped as he cannot really make money from it. Maybe they are moving from one extreme to the other there (same seems to be the case in Chiang Mai)

Well I'll find out about the Phuket situation next week. I will post my trips to share.

Uber is alright

Definitely worth trying

1) Use a local thai sim. The driver will usually call you.
2) Unless you speak Thai and can give reasonably accurate driving directions, I always call for Uber/grab from

a prominent location (hotel entrance, restaurant, etc), with local staff (security, doorman, etc) close by.

It's easier for the driver to find you, and if he calls, Thai's are friendly people and I've never had trouble

handing the phone over to a staff to advise the driver how to find the pickup location.
3) You can change the uber account to bangkok, but then it's not recommended.
4) You can sign up uber using this code below to get 75 THB off two rides

https://www.uber.com/invite/jonathanc19741ue

Uber is alright

Definitely worth trying

2) Unless you speak Thai and can give reasonably accurate driving directions, I always call for Uber/grab from
a prominent location (hotel entrance, restaurant, etc), with local staff (security, doorman, etc) close by.
It's easier for the driver to find you, and if he calls, Thai's are friendly people and I've never had trouble
handing the phone over to a staff to advise the driver how to find the pickup location.

I thought that Uber was no longer available in Phuket?

47 minutes ago, furarele said:

Uber is alright

Definitely worth trying

Are you in Phuket? Or even Thailand? Uber is illegal in Thailand according to everything I've read. And as many have posted there isn't Uber in Phuket.

On 16/02/2017 at 9:34 PM, Jimi007 said:

Are you in Phuket? Or even Thailand? Uber is illegal in Thailand according to everything I've read. And as many have posted there isn't Uber in Phuket.

It is operating LEGALLY in Chiang Mai since quite some time. The Forum has several recent topics running regarding UBER in CM

2 hours ago, siam2007 said:

It is operating LEGALLY in Chiang Mai since quite some time. The Forum has several recent topics running regarding UBER in CM

There's no Uber in Phuket and that was the OP's question.

On 18/02/2017 at 4:22 PM, Jimi007 said:

There's no Uber in Phuket and that was the OP's question.

I did reply to another post making containing a wrong statement in case you did not detect that. Replying to other posts made after the original post is the most normal thing in any Forum. It is called "discussion". I may elaborate further for you if needed

• 6 months later...

any experiences with grab vs. taxis from phuket airport recently?

I need to goto the bang rong pier (speed boat to ko yao).

a grab lookup indicated 470B for grab car or 344-516 for grab taxi!! like a pretty useless wide range for such a short ride? like other cities incl. bkk gives much more narrow range but still overpriced as compared taximeter & the private cars/limos even higher!!

'regular airport taxi' charge 500B I believe? so what would you guys choose?

any experience to get like below 400B for that short ride with taxi/grab?

well the local taxia mafia runs fares 500/600B (2 persons) for airport/bangrong pier route so I got a grab taxi which is a taximeter (using the meter) + a 50B (grab) booking fee & the meter came to exactly 300B so a not bad deal 350B all in although we had to walk across the car park & just outside domestic airport as driver said he couldn't pickup inside the terminal :D

return trip was very hard to get a driver to accept but finally a grab car @ 550B accepted & he dropped inside terminal! Better than 600B mafia 'taxi' so there are options although own transport in most cases to be preferred ;)

Archived