TOT Fiber2u New Packages 50-200 Mbps (700-1200 thb)

muratremix

2 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Can anyone please explain (give a TOT link?) the cheapest TOT Fibre optic plans out now? The ones of this thread start at 50mbps for 700THB/m which is only 100THB dearer than ours but more than 3 times faster?

We are paying 599THB/m for a fibre optic system just installed in January and TOT only give us 15/2mbps speeds? Seems a bit slow doesn't it? Should we ask for upgrade? When they installed they said it was for 2 years to pay for the free upgrade from ADSL (that was 10mbps at 599THB/m) to fibre optic.

The TOT web site is a jumbled mix of old and new info. The closest you will get to a positive answer is by phone speaking Thai.
If the package you have is not good value compared to new offerings then give them a call.

The TOT network and services vary depending on location.  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

Has anyone successfully changed to one of the new packages? I don't see them in the "change package" menu on the TOT eService site.

Wifey is going to the local office today armed with a printout of the web page :)

Just called TOT to see where they were with switching us over to the 50/20 package. The lady on 1100 gave us the number for the Hat Yai engineer and they've told us we'll be switched over by tomorrow, the wife made the original call on Saturday.

No extra charge. We only recently switched over to the 30/15 (Bht750) package from 20/10, so was thinking they might ask for the Bht1,000 surcharge. But suspect because we've been with TOT fourteen years they've waived it. 

The e-Service site is something of a dog's breakfast, I use it to pay the bills but that's it, I don't think the "change package" menu works.

7 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Just called TOT to see where they were with switching us over to the 50/20 package. The lady on 1100 gave us the number for the Hat Yai engineer and they've told us we'll be switched over by tomorrow, the wife made the original call on Saturday.

No extra charge. We only recently switched over to the 30/15 (Bht750) package from 20/10, so was thinking they might ask for the Bht1,000 surcharge. But suspect because we've been with TOT fourteen years they've waived it. 

The e-Service site is something of a dog's breakfast, I use it to pay the bills but that's it, I don't think the "change package" menu works.

Can you share some speedtests after you get your 50/20?

on speedtest.net and testmy.net please?

17 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Will do, below is what I currently get, see what we get tomorrow.

6054147152.png

bnh0WcYDP.T4I5e0A37.png

Edited by Stocky

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Thanks for that @thedemon I was hoping to do it via the web interface but the new packages don't appear in the listings.

Wifey is going to the TOT office today armed with a printout of the website, it's not far (I expect she will go shopping too) and we've never had great luck with the call centre.

We're currently on the 30/10 (I think it's 10 up) small-business package at 1500 a month and intend going to the 200/80 for 1200. If what other have said and there's no difference in contention ratio I'll be happy, I'll actually be happy if it's no faster on international connections, it's still cheaper.

Let me know how she goes Crossy.

We have had the 10/10 Fiber2U package for 700 baht/month for about 4 months now and I would like to get the 50/20 package for the same price.

33 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Need to select several servers too to get the full picture... say Singapore and London.

Our Before and After tests both to the default servers (Bangkok for Speedtest.net and Tokyo for Testmy.net)

Before (25/3 connection)

Before-1.jpg     Before-2.jpg

Evidently some issues with our upload on the Testmy.net test.

Now the after (200/80 connection).

after-1.jpg      after-2.jpg

For 300 Baht a month less, I am not complaining.

Crossy, 

According to the testmy.net database you have the fastest TOT testmy.nete speed test over the last 30 days.  You earn an internet star.

Below chart shows  max your speed as the fastest and also shows the Max speeds other folks are getting to all the various testmy.net locations.

1. capture.jpg

TOT seems fair enough.

I'd be interested in 100/20 for 800 baht once I return to Thailand this summer.

Atleast I'd get an IPv4 public ip address, like I used to get one with 3BB vdsl before (now behind CGNAT).

Suprisingly, TOT ping times around the world also improved. They route better now.

How does it feel to now have "fast" internet after years and years of not having it at home?   And the jump in speed really was not gradual, but kinda like an overnight HUGE (a Donald Trump adjective) jump in speed.

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

How does it feel to now have "fast" internet after years and years of not having it at home?   And the jump in speed really was not gradual, but kinda like an overnight HUGE (a Donald Trump adjective) jump in speed.

Eight times faster download means the work will arrive eight times faster, no time to make a brew whilst the project drawings download :(

Sadly I can't actually DO the work any quicker, still only two hands and eight fingers (plus thumbs of course) :(

Now, if someone could develop a turbo-boost for the brain ...

Crossy, 

Why don't you try a testmynet "download only" test instead of the combined (download & upload) test to see if the speed is significantly faster.    I almost always find a download only test to be significantly faster than a combined test.

On the home page after selecting the server you want to test to, click the "Test My Internet +" button and then select "Download Test."  Testmy.net will then run the test choosing the best download file size for fastest speed.  

The other way is just to select Download Test from the pull down menu on the home page and then Manaul Test Size, and then select the file size you want to test.  But I prefer the method were testmy.net determines what the best/fastest file size is.

I was going to say "another new fastest speed" but I see someone has just pulled a 140.89Mb to Dallas to TOT.   I didn't see your test  of 114.2Mb to Tokyo, but did see a 114.7Mb to Tokyo....maybe your test was really 114.7.....and did you run a test to Dallas?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

As a real-world test this is a multi-threaded FTP download from my seedbox in Amsterdam (using Free Download Manager 3.9.7).

FTP-1.jpg

thats a file download to a usb?

Whats the relevance to ToT fiber discussion?

Edited by bangkok101
ok

20 hours ago, thedemon said:

The link is at the top of the op. This one: http://www.tot.co.th/fiber2u/

You should be able to change package to one of these but they will probably ask you for a THB1000 penalty fee if you just signed up last month.

Thanks. I cannot even find our package on the links - nothing slower than 20mbps mentioned and only prices starting from 700THB for 50mbps on the link mentioned? It seems a bit cheap of TOT to just give us 15mbps - and it's usually in the 13mbps-14mpbs on their own speed test page to local Thai connection. I won't pay any more as like another said we get by on this, but as soon as something stops we'll get up TOT to fix it and up our speed.

We also have a True docsis account. They give us 35mbps for same price 599THB and are very cooperative in English - much prefer dealing with them.

Appreciate your replies guys.

13 hours ago, bangkok101 said:

thats a file download to a usb?

Whats the relevance to ToT fiber discussion?

Not sure where you got the idea that's a USB download.

It's the bandwidth monitor page from my Asus RT-AC88U router.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Not sure where you got the idea that's a USB download.

It's the bandwidth monitor page from my Asus RT-AC88U router.

What can you tell me about Merlin FW for the 88U? Is the performance superior to asus FW?

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Pretty well everything you need to know about Merlin is here https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/features

Asuswrt was a fork of Tomato anyway, Merlin aims to improve on that.

what's your opinion on it,  compared to stock FW? I want to try it but unsure if it will work out for me.

Do you use openVPN and if so, have you noticed any performance improvements with Merlin?

Edited by bangkok101

8 minutes ago, bangkok101 said:

what's your opinion on it,  compared to stock FW? I want to try it but unsure if it will work out for me.

Since it's a superset of the stock Asuswrt firmware it's difficult to make night and day comparisons. Merlin does have some advanced features which the stock doesn't have and it fixes a fair number of bugs.

It's a piece of cake to go back to stock if Merlin doesn't work out (the stock firmware is available on the Asus website), but to be honest I doubt you would want to. It's nothing like the changes you would see if you went to ddwrt or Tomato.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Since it's a superset of the stock Asuswrt firmware it's difficult to make night and day comparisons. Merlin does have some advanced features which the stock doesn't have and it fixes a fair number of bugs.

It's a piece of cake to go back to stock if Merlin doesn't work out (the firmware is available on the Asus website), but to be honest I doubt you would want to. It's nothing like the changes you would see if you went to ddwrt or Tomato.

thanks, I will try it. Are there any flashing issues if reverting back to stock?

Just now, bangkok101 said:

thanks, I will try it. Are there any flashing issues if reverting back to stock?

No, assuming you have the RT-AC88U or one of the other modern routers with Recovery Mode even a totally failed flash is easy to recover from, these things are pretty well brick-proof.

It seems TOT fiber uses different routing table than my old TOT ADSL.

I tested my IP with http://mtr.sh website

it mostly routed through Hong Kong

then I used 203.113.58.XXX IP that I found in here.

It uses better international gateway, better routes. It has lower pings too. Atleast for a few hand selected locations :)

Now I see almost every route in mtr.sh goes via CAT IIG.

TOT has 30Gbit CAT IIG line.

Edited by muratremix
extra info

I recently upgraded from their 50/10 plan to 200/80, as it was roughly 200 baht cheaper per month. I've had the old plan for a couple years and it has been rock solid, always full speed, never any downtime. However after the "upgrade" my download speeds are less than half of what they used to be! The Ookla speed test clearly shows 200/80 within Thailand, but far far less to servers outside of Thailand. My real world tests - using jdownloader from various global sites - indicate the same - I'm not even able to reach 2MB/s. So it appears the int'l bandwidth contention ratio on the new plan is much higher. Now I'm regretting making the change :(

36 minutes ago, clokwise said:

I recently upgraded from their 50/10 plan to 200/80, as it was roughly 200 baht cheaper per month. I've had the old plan for a couple years and it has been rock solid, always full speed, never any downtime. However after the "upgrade" my download speeds are less than half of what they used to be! The Ookla speed test clearly shows 200/80 within Thailand, but far far less to servers outside of Thailand. My real world tests - using jdownloader from various global sites - indicate the same - I'm not even able to reach 2MB/s. So it appears the int'l bandwidth contention ratio on the new plan is much higher. Now I'm regretting making the change :(

That's why it's cheaper.The international bandwidth cost money, while the national bandwidth is paid for already of course.

The same logic is applied with 50Mb 3BB VDSL packages which give you 50 Mb download within Thailand, but a much lower international speed than a 18Mb 3BB ADSL package.

They still try to make people believe that actually any webserver is located in Thailand, and of course they get away with that with the Thai xenophobes.

Since I sell and install Kodi boxes I'm often confronted with this, by customers telling me that they have a 50Mb fibre connection but get buffer on live streams.

I then explain to them that all streams come from outside Thailand and if they really believe they get 50Mb they should do a speed test to Europe server.

On customer who had a 50Mb AIS Fiber, got 2.2 Mb to London.

Edited by Allstars