Where Can I Buy Some Good Cheese?

tt61

I am looking to buy some good cheese for Xmas (cheddar, gouda, emmenthaler etc.) but where? All I know is Friendship on Sth. Pattaya Rd. but I must say I'm not overly impressed with their selection. I realise that it's not easy to find so I'd appreciate some input from you guys.

Is there a good bulk food importer in the Pattaya region?

Cheers

I am looking to buy some good cheese for Xmas (cheddar, gouda, emmenthaler etc.) but where? All I know is Friendship on Sth. Pattaya Rd. but I must say I'm not overly impressed with their selection. I realise that it's not easy to find so I'd appreciate some input from you guys.

Cheers

Pattaya Klang: Carrefour has a good selection of cheeses. Be aware that they are set aside from the main long fridges, in special 'expensive ex-pat' fridges.

However they are expensive compared to European prices.

Foodland and Friendship are O.K. but try Tesco Lotus as well.

Like many supermarkets here, the good foods are often 'here today, gone tomorrow'.

Carrefour have a half reasonable selection . Mainly the softer french styles. Brie, Cammembert, etc.

Good cheddar and gouda , very hard to find. Foodland might be worth a try.

I second that, Carrefour is the best in Pattaya. Try the "Rosenburg" Blue vien in the triangle packet...... beauuuuuutiful. :o

Cheers

There has to be more to life than home and Friendship. :o

• 2 years later...
I made a purchase of boursin cheese today at TOPS supermarket (Pattaya Klang). The first time that I have seen it for sale in Thailand.

random topic reincarnation - 2 years on! :o

I must admit I miss good cheese when I'm in thailand. I love most cheese (knob-cheese being the exception).

I do not regard Boursin as cheese - more of a savoury spread.

Plastic-pack cheese is available in Friendship, but this is not a Thai food. I have been told that the Thai stomach lacks the bacteria to digest cheese properly. The bacteria develop in Westerner stomachs due to the quantities of cheese eaten, plus the amount of proper milk in the diet, whereas these things are lacking in SE Asian diets (and I'm not discussing malamine)

I should imagine Makro in Pattaya is stocked with a similar range to their Udon Thani - Very good with an extensive variety from the Anchor Brand (New Zealand).

Makro in Pattaya? ........Mai mee, khrab

The 2 closest Makro's are Chonburi & Rayong ,the selection of cheese they have is certainly not worth the trip.

I have been told that the Thai stomach lacks the bacteria to digest cheese properly. The bacteria develop in Westerner stomachs due to the quantities of cheese eaten, plus the amount of proper milk in the diet, whereas these things are lacking in SE Asian diets (and I'm not discussing malamine)

Which, I have been told recently, is why farangs smell unpleasant to Thais. Has anybody else heard that? Is there any truth in it? :D:o

Back to the original topic, even if it is 2 years old, Tesco Lotus in South Pattaya has quite a decent cheese counter, alongside the excellent Thai-German meat products.

Foodmart in Jomtien also has a modest selection of cheeses. They're not cheap, though.

Personally, if all you want is a reasonable cheddar for sandwiches, biscuits and cheese, or toasties, I find the Mainland Tasty Cheddar is just about right. The equivalent Bega product is also OK, but I prefer the taste of the Mainland cheese.

Edited by Guderian

I made a purchase of boursin cheese today at TOPS supermarket (Pattaya Klang). The first time that I have seen it for sale in Thailand.

I love most cheese (knob-cheese being the exception).

Happy to hear it. The bacteria in cheese are quite different than those found beneath your prepuce.

Has anyone ever managed to find Wensleydale?

Happy to hear it. The bacteria in cheese are quite different than those found beneath your prepuce.

It's in the Lake District. Sandwiched between Lancashire and Scotland.

Provolone is good for making sub sandwiches. It is only at Villa.

Publix in Florida sells a Braided Syrian String Cheese. I doubt that Syrians would ever have heard of it.

to be genuine it must have fennel seed in it. Publix has that kind. It is the best.

And string cheese is in bigger pieces in the US. Just like croissants, the bigger ones are also higher quality.

To me the best cheese selection is in Villa Market (also most expensive maybe). Otherwise Best at the Loma Circle, new Central World supermarket not so impressing (checked it out yesterday). Carrefour is good for french cheese as well.

I love cheese, however, it is really damned expensive over here.

Hmmm.

Must check out Villa, as I was pretty impressed with the cheese selection they had in the downstairs supermarket at the new Central department store.

Price level was a bit of an issue as I walked out wit about 3,000 Baht worth of cheese :o

Hmmm.

Must check out Villa, as I was pretty impressed with the cheese selection they had in the downstairs supermarket at the new Central department store.

Price level was a bit of an issue as I walked out wit about 3,000 Baht worth of cheese :D

what, you only wanted one small piece? :o

I have been told that the Thai stomach lacks the bacteria to digest cheese properly. The bacteria develop in Westerner stomachs due to the quantities of cheese eaten, plus the amount of proper milk in the diet, whereas these things are lacking in SE Asian diets (and I'm not discussing malamine)

Which, I have been told recently, is why farangs smell unpleasant to Thais. Has anybody else heard that? Is there any truth in it? :D:o

Many of them smell unpleasant to other farangs, too. No, I don't think it's the cheese. :D

Foodland has Wensleydale.

Foodland has Wensleydale.

Thanks for that heads-up. Westerner. :o