More video footage emerges in high profile road rage shooting death in Chonburi

webfact

More video footage emerges in high profile road rage shooting death

4p.jpg

Picture: Komchadluek

CHONBURI: -- More video footage has emerged in the road rage shooting death of a 17 year old in Chonburi.

Millions are following the story that is gripping the Thai public.

The latest footage posted on Facebook gives an indication of the incident that led up to the shooting at the Angsila Market in downtown Chonburi on February 4th, reported Komchadluek.

In the video a van with several teenagers inside hems in the vehicle driven by 50 year old engineer Suthep Phochanasomboon.

Suthep and a female passenger in the vehicle are furious that the teens have double parked leaving them unable to drive off.

A verbal slanging match develops after the woman suggests they should park elsewhere as there are plenty of spaces.

Insults are traded after Suthep calls them "ay hia" (a Thai insult meaning water monitor) and "animals".

The woman is heard to say that she thinks one of the teens has a gun.

Eventually Suthep drives off at speed sounding his horn in apparent protest.

Later on at the market Suthep is alleged to have pulled out a gun and fired after several teens got out of their van and allegedly surrounded his vehicle.

Seventeen year old Nawaphon Pheungphai was hit in the chest. He died later at Chonburi Hospital.

The latest clip from inside Suthep's vehicle was viewed by more than 3 million people.

The case, now in the hands of the police is being closely followed by the Thai public.

While many deplore the use of a gun others have come to the defense of the engineer saying that he was threatened when in the car with his family.

Source: Komchadluek

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-10

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More brainless reporting here. The teens never allegedly surrounded the engineer's car, they are on dashcam very clearly coming out in mob style from the van clearly with the intention of physically intimidating the engineer and his family at the very least.

They did surround his car and scattered when he put up resistance, in hindsight it seems like he was reckless to shoot, but gangs of kids like these do fight in packs, and as was evidenced in Hua Hin last year, even senior citizens are fair game for punches and kicks to the head once incapacitated.

The charge of premeditated murder is disgustingly inappropriate. The dead kid's mates are the ones who need locking up

The "rage" started with him.

"It" began with an impatient Thai driver hurling what I believe, in Thailand, is an extremely abusive epithet at a van driver and a student, because he has had to wait 1min 12 secs while the van driver and the student got something from the shop.

Just for good measure he gives the van driver a good blast on the horn when he subsequently passes him.

Would you do that...........in Thailand?

Maybe you would if, like him, you were carrying an illegally held gun in your vehicle.

Edited by Enoon

7 hours ago, Enoon said:

"It" began with an impatient Thai driver hurling what I believe, in Thailand, is an extremely abusive epithet at a van driver and a student, because he has had to wait 1min 12 secs while the van driver and the student got something from the shop.

Just for good measure he gives the van driver a good blast on the horn when he subsequently passes him.

Maybe you would if, like him, you were carrying an illegally held gun in your vehicle.

I always do that and I don't carry a gun.

I am hoping to educate them by doing this. Never had a car or van chase me because of it.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

Mr Suthep sounds like he was fully geared up for a bust up. He gives the van people a fair old mouthful of abuse and you can also hear what sounds like him readying his hand gun for action. I bet his wife will be glad to see the back of him for a while, the stroppy old bugger!

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

So... double parking and then coming out as a gang later on is acceptable?

What planet are you from... Never mind, you are right, you need to think like a thug in this country

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Really had to drive round with his loaded gun.Not even a warning shot but straight for a kill shot of a teenager.Seems he really had to get even after they let him wait one minute and 12 seconds.Hope this gentleman is feel good how he handled this.

And if he didnt have a gun?

Do you think that everything would have been fine and dandy and those teens just wanted to apologize for double parking, when they all got out and walked over to him?

See this double parking everywhere. As inconsiderate as it seems Thais just seem to wait patiently. Don't see people being shot for it though. If this bloke had waited less than two minutes and kept his mouth shut none of this would have happened. Considerate/Thai?

2 hours ago, z42 said:

More brainless reporting here. The teens never allegedly surrounded the engineer's car, they are on dashcam very clearly coming out in mob style from the van clearly with the intention of physically intimidating the engineer and his family at the very least.

They did surround his car and scattered when he put up resistance, in hindsight it seems like he was reckless to shoot, but gangs of kids like these do fight in packs, and as was evidenced in Hua Hin last year, even senior citizens are fair game for punches and kicks to the head once incapacitated.

The charge of premeditated murder is disgustingly inappropriate. The dead kid's mates are the ones who need locking up

Totally agree, kids on Yaba with aggressive intentions are no jokes here in LOS

4 minutes ago, thhMan said:

And if he didnt have a gun?

Do you think that everything would have been fine and dandy and those teens just wanted to apologize for double parking, when they all got out and walked over to him?

Without a gun besides him he would probably not used bad swear words to the boys and not used his  Claxon.he would then just wait one minute and 12 seconds.

Slightly off topic but i just got a drivers license today and there was a segment of the new video on how and when to use a horn.

In the segment a female driver is sitting alone in a parked car and a male is aggressively knocking on the window.

The parked female uses the horn and i am not kidding: 4 or 5 people surround the male agressor and beat him with sticks and proceed to beat him even after he is laying on the ground offering no resistance. 

Staged ofcourse, but they are actually teaching mob mentality from government insititutions.

Beyond hilarious.

51 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

Mr Suthep sounds like he was fully geared up for a bust up. He gives the van people a fair old mouthful of abuse and you can also hear what sounds like him readying his hand gun for action. I bet his wife will be glad to see the back of him for a while, the stroppy old bugger!

that's what struck me immediately. his voice sounded very hostile from the beginning. Whatever happened to " Thai rak Thai " ?:sad:

maybe the new interpretation for all this " waiing " to each other should be I'm not going to shoot you................ not yet at least

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

or  quite simply "they" could have stopped being selfish pricks found another parking place and started to get some manners. Alas selfish abounds in Thailand...cant wait in a queue.no problem when turning right just pass all the other cars waiting and go...........surprised there isnt more violence than there actually is

Admittedly the driver does sound over irate

Edited by kannot

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

I do it and carry guns most of the time. You never know when a gangs going to turn on your family. Gang mentality can be stopped this way. The guy clearly didnt empty a clip in a twisted shooting rampage. He protected his family. In a civilized society the guy carrying the gun should be locked up but sadly i sympathize. These teens got treated justly. Act like a gang get treated like one i say.

The van double parking blocked the gunman in and blocked traffic in the left lane.. Really bad.

The gunman got upset too quickly and wasn't polite enough.. Reckless.. He must have had a bad day or something..

It takes two to tango sometimes.

3 hours ago, z42 said:

Yes, they did, it was shown in the first video.

43 minutes ago, hobz said:

The van double parking blocked the gunman in and blocked traffic in the left lane.. Really bad.

The gunman got upset too quickly and wasn't polite enough.. Reckless.. He must have had a bad day or something..

It takes two to tango sometimes.

The gunman did apologize several times once the van cut him off and the gangmembers surrounded his car. He politely asked them to leave them alone and pointed out he was there with his family. One of the kids then punched him after which he fired his gun once. You can hear the wife ask if he shot somebody but he couldnt confirm as the kid had knocked his glasses off his head.

Some fun details of this case (ask your Thai wife of gf to confirm this as its only reported in Thai media) :

The mobsters were quick to go on TV and search out media to tell their side of the story and the mum of the kid who was killed pointed out her son was a good boy causing no trouble.

That whole story changed when this footage showed up and everybody was able to see the group of kids were telling BS stories. And a teacher of the kid who was killed stood up and told the media the kid was a troublemaker and he saw the parents of the kid more often than his own family (as the mum and dad of the kid had to report to school to pick up their kid after every incident).

I am just happy the driver had a gun (plus permit) and was able to protect his family.

I also have zero compassion for the kid who was killed, his mates, or his family. These small time mobsters finally met someone who was able to defend himself and one of them paid the ultimate price.

2 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

555. Me too. And my gf hates me for that. According to her one day I'll be shot...

Very true , your gf is right , I understand you as well , but when driving in thailand it is like playing  Russian roulette with a gun with one  bullet inside it .

i think before I yell when driving in thailand, but sometimes I get very up set , but try and shut up .

Sorry if I offend anyone, particularly and left wing greeies out there, but this man who shot the kid had every right to do so! He had already seen that they had no respect for the rule of law when they double parked and he was unable to get out. Then when he pulled over, they pulled over in the middle of the intersection and came pouring out of the van to attack him. He asked them multiple times "what are you doing" and when one of them punched him he defended himself and his family. had he not had the gun they quite likely would have beaten him and his family severely. 

Thailand is a dangerous place because the current generation of teenagers have ZERO respect!