Sydney braces for blackouts as heat keeps ice cream vendors indoors

webfact

Sydney braces for blackouts as heat keeps ice cream vendors indoors

By Jonathan Barrett and Sonali Paul

REUTERS

r16.jpg

A worker stands in a crane as he fixes electricity cables attached to a pole on a suburban street in Sydney, Australia, November 10, 2015. REUTERS/David Gray/File Photo

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australians in Sydney face power outages on Friday as an extreme heatwave moves from the desert interior to the country's most populated city, with demand straining power supplies.

The anticipated outages, as authorities temporarily suspend power to selected areas to prevent overload, come just days after 40,000 homes and businesses lost electricity in the state of South Australia.

Weather forecaster Olenka Duma said a build-up of heat in Australia's interior was being pushed to New South Wales state.

"It was like the windows and doors were closed for a long time, and now a weather front has dragged the hot air here," Duma, an official of the Bureau of Meteorology, told Reuters.

The mercury is set to soar above 40 degrees C (104 degrees F), with New South Wales set to experience its hottest February day on record on Saturday.

Australia's energy market operator said on Thursday power supplies were expected to be tight, with shortfalls anticipated in the late afternoon in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory.

It was too hot for people to go out, said Ned Qutami, owner of six mobile ice cream bars in Sydney.

"I'm not doing any business today, I'm just sitting in the air-conditioning at home," said Qutami, who runs Sydney Ice Cream & Coffee in the city's beachside eastern suburbs.

"People at the beach are either in the water or heading home. No one is hanging around to eat ice cream."

The intense heat and power outages have sparked debate over the country's energy security, after the market operator told power companies in South Australia on Wednesday to switch off some customers' power supply for a short spell to manage demand.

South Australia depends on wind for more than a third of its power supply, and the wind died down at the same time as people started cranking up air-conditioners.

That was the latest in a string of power disruptions and electricity price spikes to hit the southern state, including a state-wide blackout that forced copper mines, smelters and a steel plant to shut for up to two weeks last September.

The problems have sparked a review of the national electricity market and energy policy on how to cope with rapid growth of wind and solar power and the closure of coal-fired power plants that have been essential for steady supply.

(Reporting by Jonathan Barrett and Sonali Paul; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-10

Reading historical records, there have been 40°C plus temperatures in Sydney on many other occasions. The highest February temp recorded was 41°C in 2011, and in January 2006 it went to 44°C. Why the fuss over this now?

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

Reading historical records, there have been 40°C plus temperatures in Sydney on many other occasions. The highest February temp recorded was 41°C in 2011, and in January 2006 it went to 44°C. Why the fuss over this now?

Because they are facing power outages. Have you sat in a building at 40 deg C without aircon? Do you stomp your keyboard about every subject?

25 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Because they are facing power outages. Have you sat in a building at 40 deg C without aircon? Do you stomp your keyboard about every subject?

(are you stalking me? - I reply to few topics these days)

I used to live in Sydney and have experienced 40°C plus temperatures there in the Mid-Western and East Coast suburbs on a number of occasions and I didn't have air conditioning... but you've probably stumbled on the reason for all the fuss - these days air conditioning is a lot more common than it was in the 80's when I lived there. We just used fans. People aren't as tough these days.

Edited by tropo

8 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

What a strange thing to say. 23 posts this week is enough to put you on radar isn't it. I have much better things to do than stalk you tropo.

LOL> 3 posts a day, and over half were in the Health forum on the Concept2 rowing thread and other exercise related topics. You call that replying to every thread.

That put me on your radar? Give it a break.... you're stalking me over some previous grievance and looking for reasons to give me a hard time.

I'm going out to exercises> catch you later. In the meanwhile, find something better to do with your time AND stop hijacking this thread. 

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

That put me on your radar? Give it a break.... you're stalking me over some previous grievance and looking for reasons to give me a hard time.

You think to much of your own importance. I asked if you always stomp on your keyboard about every subject - because of your bloody avatar and sure enough you start stomping on your keyboard and calling me a stalker. Thanks for proving the point.

Just another great reason to install a solar system. A small system would keep your fridge going, give you lights and run a few fans. It would take quite a large solar system to power an air conditioner but that could also be done if you are willing to spend enough money.

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

You think to much of your own importance. I asked if you always stomp on your keyboard about every subject - because of your bloody avatar and sure enough you start stomping on your keyboard and calling me a stalker. Thanks for proving the point.

.... and you're not done yet? (are you feeling important?)

You were suggesting I spend a lot of time replying to every thread when in fact I don't post much at all. You even made an effort to count every post I've made over the last week. You made your reply personal, which is hijacking and against forum rules.

Apart from that, as an ex-Sydney resident, it's not surprising that I'm reading and replying to threads such as these.  

3 hours ago, tropo said:

(are you stalking me? - I reply to few topics these days)

I used to live in Sydney and have experienced 40°C plus temperatures there in the Mid-Western and East Coast suburbs on a number of occasions and I didn't have air conditioning... but you've probably stumbled on the reason for all the fuss - these days air conditioning is a lot more common than it was in the 80's when I lived there. We just used fans. People aren't as tough these days.

No, it is changing. For many decades a Sydney summer would be mostly maximums around 32-34. Now it's quite usual for days of 36...38...higher. 

The other day, 100mls of rain, now 40+ degrees. 

Little wonder that Malaria and Dengue are expected to be in Sydney within 20 years.

Climate CHANGE.

7 hours ago, Prbkk said:

No, it is changing. For many decades a Sydney summer would be mostly maximums around 32-34. Now it's quite usual for days of 36...38...higher. 

Little wonder that Malaria and Dengue are expected to be in Sydney within 20 years.

Climate CHANGE.

Perhaps it is, but certainly not fast enough for anyone to notice any difference in the summer temperatures between when I lived there in the mid-80s and now.

Let's take a look at the best figures available from the Australian Government's Bureau of Meteorology website:

http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/cdio/cvg/av?p_stn_num=066062&p_prim_element_index=0&p_comp_element_index=0&redraw=null&p_display_type=statistics_summary&normals_years=1951-1980&tablesizebutt=normal

For example:

Mean annual maximum temperatures (Sydney Observatory Hill): 

1951 - 1980: 22.0 °C

1981 - 2010: 22.5 °C

Mean annual minimum temperatures:

1951 - 1980: 14.0 °C

1981 - 2010: 14.5 °C

That's an increase of 0.5 °C over 60 years.

Regarding the monthly maximum temperature records, only 2 were recorded in the last 10 years: February 2011 and November 2009.

5 monthly records were recorded in the early 1990's, and another 5 in the early 2000's.

I have no doubt people are using air conditioning more nowadays than they were 30 years ago. That coupled with an increased population is the reason for the electricity shortages, not global warming.

Edited by tropo

12 hours ago, Gary A said:

Just another great reason to install a solar system. A small system would keep your fridge going, give you lights and run a few fans. It would take quite a large solar system to power an air conditioner but that could also be done if you are willing to spend enough money.

A small system would have to include a $10,000 battery if you wanted it to work during the feared blackout, at a time when your solar is producing SFA. Alternatively, you could invest in a petrol/diesel generator, as many businesses are doing in South Australia.

BTW they are also asking their state government why they have concentrated on unreliable energy sources, with the false expectation they could continue to buy energy from neighbouring states.

43 minutes ago, halloween said:

A small system would have to include a $10,000 battery if you wanted it to work during the feared blackout, at a time when your solar is producing SFA. Alternatively, you could invest in a petrol/diesel generator, as many businesses are doing in South Australia. BTW they are also asking their state government why they have concentrated on unreliable energy sources, with the false expectation they could continue to buy energy from neighbouring states.

The only wholly reliable source in Australia is coal-fired generators and there now aren't enough of them to support the load on hot days when alternative sources aren't sufficient or are not generating. NSW is already looking at load shedding because their generators are also insufficient and that has nothing to do with a government policy of alternative generation. In a country of ample sunshine in many places there should be an emphasis on solar panels + battery storage. Unfortunately the technology is only now becoming efficient enough to support that model from an economic perspective. Taken together with the increasing numbers of medium and high density housing units that do not have direct access to somewhere to put a solar panel, someone needs to come up with an overall plan but the logical someone - the federal government - is paralysed by ideology

32 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

The only wholly reliable source in Australia is coal-fired generators and there now aren't enough of them to support the load on hot days when alternative sources aren't sufficient or are not generating. NSW is already looking at load shedding because their generators are also insufficient and that has nothing to do with a government policy of alternative generation. In a country of ample sunshine in many places there should be an emphasis on solar panels + battery storage. Unfortunately the technology is only now becoming efficient enough to support that model from an economic perspective. Taken together with the increasing numbers of medium and high density housing units that do not have direct access to somewhere to put a solar panel, someone needs to come up with an overall plan but the logical someone - the federal government - is paralysed by ideology

Pretty good summary of the current state of play regarding Australia's east coast energy system:-

Expect More Blackouts From 'Broken' Energy System

(Source: The New Daily)

Both major parties look to be at fault here, so both major parties can fix it can't they!

11 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Climate CHANGE

I agree Prbbk, it is changing, and not just the SE Aussie area. Temperatures are one indication, and so are rainfall patterns. Vast areas of Victoria are not returning yields of previous years because the rain fall is simply not happening there anymore, which is serious when you consider that Victoria used to be the breadbowl of Australia.

Meanwhile, land in the Kimberly region, north-western Australia, previously considered unusable due to poor rain fall, is undergoing a metamorphosis due to that magic ingredient, rain fall. Larger areas every year are becoming arable and are subsequently being farmed. The northern monsoon season that only really Darwin in the Northern Territory (and areas to the east of Darwin) used to benefit from is changing and moving roughly south-south west every season. As a result more of the seasonal monsoon rains are falling on the Australian landmass then at any time in our recorded history.

Climate CHANGE indeed! 

Edited by NumbNut
added source info

2 hours ago, halloween said:

A small system would have to include a $10,000 battery if you wanted it to work during the feared blackout, at a time when your solar is producing SFA. Alternatively, you could invest in a petrol/diesel generator, as many businesses are doing in South Australia.

BTW they are also asking their state government why they have concentrated on unreliable energy sources, with the false expectation they could continue to buy energy from neighbouring states.

The technology of the batteries has improved dramatically and the price has fallen....and will fall even further. Tesla is one option but requires new solar inverter installation; Sonnen ( German) is getting significant market share as it can be fitted to an existing system..and is (relatively) cheap @ around AUD 6,000, maybe a bit more.

23 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Emphasis on solar + battery is a recipe for another SA disaster in the making. Try to work out just how many batteries would be required to back up a grid system, then how long they would last being cycled twice daily to meet peaks, and add the price of replacements to the cost of Australians electricity.

The PM has finally realised the stupidity of the path we have been pushed down by those with little or no knowledge of the realities of electricity supply, and who ignore the problems faces by those who have gone before us, such as Germany. He has now announced a new focus on clean coal generation.

10 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

To which everyone in the industry, including the generator companies themselves, have replied "In your dreams"

You think companies will not want to get involved in clean coal generation with federal funding? Read the sentence before that again, it seems to refer to you.

90% of the warming is in the oceans.  if we ever see warming on ****land**** that is so pervasive even the most ignorant and illiterate amoung us begin to accept it.....

it ****will**** be too late..... even for all out chemical veiling.  but that one probably means no more monsoons in India... and no rainy season for SE asia.. almost every year.... forever... ?????*#&**&!*&@!!!!!

this is why we pretended to a 1.5 degree goal more than a year ago at Paris. which was b.s. absent a major negative emissions breakthrough (unburning the Co2 etc.)

Edited by maewang99

4 hours ago, maewang99 said:

90% of the warming is in the oceans.  if we ever see warming on ****land**** that is so pervasive even the most ignorant and illiterate amoung us begin to accept it.....

That's the problem I see with global warming advocates. If someone doesn't agree they must be "most ignorant and illiterate". People are afraid to disagree as the advocates are so ferocious in their beliefs.

What I see from Sydney records is an average land temperature increase of 0.5°C in 60 years. Looking at the charts of various cities around Australia I even see average annual temperatures 50 years ago that equal those of the last few years.

The problem global warming advocates face is that accurate temperature records don't go back very far. You'd need to see records over the last several thousand years to know if the climate is really warming up, or not. What we're seeing right now could just be a cycle.

Case in point: When typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) hit us in the Philippines (have a house on Leyte which was hit by the eye) late 2013, everyone was screaming "climate change!!!". What they didn't mention (or know) is that a typhoon equally as devastating hit the region 116 years earlier, in 1897, which killed 7000. This typhoon had a nearly identical track, causing storm surges just as high. Ironically it was first reported to the world by an Australian Newspaper 3 months later, as news travelled very slowly, by ship, back then.

On 2/11/2017 at 4:59 AM, halloween said:

I don't know where you got the $10,000 figure.I have four deep cycle sealed batteries and two solar panels that keep them charged. That small system runs my computer room. Computer, printer, fans and lights. The entire system cost less than a thousand dollars. The panels run the room during the day plus charge the batteries for night time use. I do have a 5,000 watt generator that powers the house for extended outages. It has a healthy appetite for petrol. I have two more solar panels with no batteries that feed directly into the electric grid.

Edited by Gary A

13 hours ago, Gary A said:

I don't know where you got the $10,000 figure.I have four deep cycle sealed batteries and two solar panels that keep them charged. That small system runs my computer room. Computer, printer, fans and lights. The entire system cost less than a thousand dollars. The panels run the room during the day plus charge the batteries for night time use. I do have a 5,000 watt generator that powers the house for extended outages. It has a healthy appetite for petrol. I have two more solar panels with no batteries that feed directly into the electric grid.

That was the price quoted for Tesla batteries, purportedly large enough to run a family home. Your computer room is a small fraction of that requirement.

BTW I very much doubt your "cost less than a $1000" but even at that price You are unlikely to ever recoup the installation cost.

14 hours ago, tropo said:

That's the problem I see with global warming advocates. If someone doesn't agree they must be "most ignorant and illiterate". People are afraid to disagree as the advocates are so ferocious in their beliefs.

What I see from Sydney records is an average land temperature increase of 0.5°C in 60 years. Looking at the charts of various cities around Australia I even see average annual temperatures 50 years ago that equal those of the last few years.

Dodgy claims, what people are pleased to call 'arguments' are common on both sides of the climate change debate. However, given the EXTRAORDINARY and OVERWHELMING evidence in favour of the FACT that climate change is real and potentially planet-destroying, what is most perplexing is that there are still a few flat-earthers in full denial. They are certifiable.