Backpackers - can't live with them, can't kill them

mamborobert

On 2/12/2017 at 5:39 PM, DKNY77 said:

hey moron...go over to CM ..zoe in yellow on a sat. 'bout midnite...you'll see backpackers ,, skanky girls on thier knees puking in the gutter, drunk punk azz cowards  of ''young people'' drunk , doped up, looking for fights from people passing by blocking traffic harassing elder tourists and expats., defacing property..etc..etc..etc...in other words your kind of folks...ahol

Looks like your describing Cairo on a Friday night but Cairo is much worse ...  Horrible place!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

The backpackers probably say something similar regards the whinging, aged, sock-wearing sexpats. emoji6.png

Young or old, if you are not someone with respect for other people, some class and able to act with decorum, then frankly I'd rather not see you.

Edit: Obviously by 'you' I don't mean you Dave ;-)

thanks to the internet and ATM's travel has gotten very easy and has attracted a different class back packer.  before the advent of what we now take for granted going around the world really took a deal of doing and none but the more resourceful would apply, now the world is in easy reach for these immature idiots.  if you where to take away their iPhones and ATM cards they would be gone.  

On 2/12/2017 at 1:14 PM, moe666 said:

Hate to disappoint you but it was the GIs on RandR  who put Thailand on the map and many come back to visit or live here. 

Nah, they just put the sex tourism Thailand on the map, it was Man With The Golden Gun that put Thailand on the map for normal tourism.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2017 at 8:50 AM, Shawn0000 said:

Nah, they just put the sex tourism Thailand on the map, it was Man With The Golden Gun that put Thailand on the map for normal tourism.

Nah Danny Boyle put the place on the MAP for the real tourism money to come raining in.

Some are nice,it's those with a Micro Hotel on their back pissme off.Like a Drunk with a Ladder they bash you with it,on Trains they block the isles,nock yer hat off,get stuck in the door,put them on benches so yer can't sit waiting for the Train.Use Public Toilets for their monthly wash n look daggers when I dare enter Their domain.Plus that Cannabis Aftershave I can't find in Central Plaza.?[emoji247]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just now, Rc2702 said:

22% tourist increase in the typical backpacker demographic in 2000. Just a coincidence then.

No, no coincidence, but a 20% increase is not what made Thailands tourism which was the 3000% increase seen during the 70's, there has been a fairly steady increase ever since but only totalling 1000% since the 80's.

13 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Nah Danny Boyle put the place on the MAP for the real tourism money to come raining in.

5 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

What, with The Beach?  Like there was not mass tourism before 2000???  LOL

You're right, of course.

The post you are replying to is a good example of the tunnel vision so prevalent among many. In spite of the fact that they have the intellect and resources to learn more about the country and the people they live among.

Indeed there was mass tourism before 2000. It began after the Indochina wars started to wind down and the GIs left in the mid-1970s.

Many of my first friends were ex-USAF guys who had married Thais and stayed on because they liked it here. So did I, but the scene didn't stay unspoiled for long.

The early and mid-80s saw mass tourism really take off. That was combined with a domestic population explosion and building boom that changed many places out of recognition.

Before all that there were tourists - or maybe they'd be better described as travelers. Although their numbers were relatively small, some of them wrote about the country, the people, and the culture with insight and perception.

W.Somerset Maugham's The Gentleman in the Parlour  is a fascinating read and a look at the country in the 1920s.

Most of the early travelers just passed through; but some settled down and made a life for themselves here.

Jim Thompson is a case in point insofar as it relates to the arts and traditional culture of Thailand.

Long may those traditions survive, both among Thais and the farangs who have made Thailand their home.

25 minutes ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

You're right, of course.

The post you are replying to is a good example of the tunnel vision so prevalent among many. In spite of the fact that they have the intellect and resources to learn more about the country and the people they live among.

Indeed there was mass tourism before 2000. It began after the Indochina wars started to wind down and the GIs left in the mid-1970s.

Many of my first friends were ex-USAF guys who had married Thais and stayed on because they liked it here. So did I, but the scene didn't stay unspoiled for long.

The early and mid-80s saw mass tourism really take off. That was combined with a domestic population explosion and building boom that changed many places out of recognition.

Before all that there were tourists - or maybe they'd be better described as travelers. Although their numbers were relatively small, some of them wrote about the country, the people, and the culture with insight and perception.

W.Somerset Maugham's The Gentleman in the Parlour  is a fascinating read and a look at the country in the 1920s.

Most of the early travelers just passed through; but some settled down and made a life for themselves here.

Jim Thompson is a case in point insofar as it relates to the arts and traditional culture of Thailand.

Long may those traditions survive, both among Thais and the farangs who have made Thailand their home.

The figures are pretty clear regards to the topic subject. GI's can be thanked for opening the door to tourism here but 7/10 backpackers from 2000 on wards very likely watched the beach prior to arrival and it may have contributed to the decision. Seriously chaps step outside your warped timezone. Read a bit more. Not page 1 Google.  

3 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

The figures are pretty clear regards to the topic subject. GI's can be thanked for opening the door to tourism here but 7/10 backpackers from 2000 on wards very likely watched the beach prior to arrival and it may have contributed to the decision. Seriously chaps step outside your warped timezone. Read a bit more. Not page 1 Google.  

Please point out to me how to find these "pretty clear" figures.

thailand-tourist-arrivals.png

10 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

What, with The Beach?  Like there was not mass tourism before 2000???  LOL

I actually was introduced to Thailand for the first time when I read the book "The Beach". I was at the time backpacking and doing diving studies for my backpacking work in Colombia at the time. 

My first trip to Thailand was to work as DM for a season in Phuket and the Similan Islands & occasionally taking customers to Phi-Phi for diving. This was few years afterwards.

So I guess books and movies do contribute to the tourism. 

That is also the reason, why Thailand among other countries invite bloggers to visit the country. Airfares and hotel stays fully paid. These bloggers are often backpackers, who move around. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 0:48 PM, yimlitnoy said:

How people can forget that they were once young?

Backpackers are mostly decent young students travelling and learning the world on a budget and many of them will be our next leaders.  Justin Trudeau, the present Prime minister of Canada, came here when he was 18, also Margaret Trudeau before him travelled to Thailand.  I have seen both by coincidence.

I am certain that when he is meeting with Thailand representatives, all is experience of Thailand is coming back and Thailand has generally a special place in their heart.  Who only wants old grumpy rich tourists?

The government.

Yes anyone young and travelling the world should be derided.

Why cant they just stay home with a chang and tbeir comupter discussing 90 day reporting , relating delightful anecdotes about the wives with whom they share no common interest or language and expounding upon the stupity of the neieghbors in the godforsaken back county villages they have sentenced themselves.

On 2/12/2017 at 6:48 AM, yimlitnoy said:

How people can forget that they were once young?

Backpackers are mostly decent young students travelling and learning the world on a budget and many of them will be our next leaders.  Justin Trudeau, the present Prime minister of Canada, came here when he was 18, also Margaret Trudeau before him travelled to Thailand.  I have seen both by coincidence.

I am certain that when he is meeting with Thailand representatives, all is experience of Thailand is coming back and Thailand has generally a special place in their heart.  Who only wants old grumpy rich tourists?

I am in a kind of in between - I'm in my 30's and will be visiting Chiang Mai for 3 months (investigating whether to live there with my budget) - together with my wife and 9 y/o son...... while we are no backpackers...our monthly budget is around 1,200 Euros in normal spending money (with some tucked away for any emergency).

I wonder how we will do with this budget, I have a feeling we can do well, although many here told me we won't. With this budget we did great all over Hungary, Ukraine, Russia (Asian Part), and Mongolia - we stayed for 1 year in each place...... 

we normally rent a 1 bedroom basic appt - in the center so that we dont need a lot of transport or a car.....

we don't cook at home, eat out, go for walks, go for sport activities, visit parks and places of interest...

we blend into the society through activities of interest such as table tennis (going to an actual club) and chess, and any other thing that might help us make local friends....

What is your Opinion guys? we have managed in so many countries, will we manage in Thailand? :) 

5 minutes ago, Asparutta said:

I am in a kind of in between - I'm in my 30's and will be visiting Chiang Mai for 3 months (investigating whether to live there with my budget) - together with my wife and 9 y/o son...... while we are no backpackers...our monthly budget is around 1,200 Euros in normal spending money (with some tucked away for any emergency).

I wonder how we will do with this budget, I have a feeling we can do well, although many here told me we won't. With this budget we did great all over Hungary, Ukraine, Russia (Asian Part), and Mongolia - we stayed for 1 year in each place...... 

we normally rent a 1 bedroom basic appt - in the center so that we dont need a lot of transport or a car.....

we don't cook at home, eat out, go for walks, go for sport activities, visit parks and places of interest...

we blend into the society through activities of interest such as table tennis (going to an actual club) and chess, and any other thing that might help us make local friends....

What is your Opinion guys? we have managed in so many countries, will we manage in Thailand? :) 

I've not lived in Chiang Mai (I live in Bangkok), but with 1200 euros a month you should be ok for a 3 month visit.  It might be a bit tight but as you are a family with a 9 y/o I don't suppose you and your wife will be doing a lot of drinking, so your living costs should be quite a bit lower than someone who does.  

Hope you enjoy your time in Thailand.

41 minutes ago, Asparutta said:

Is one Topic on your plans not enuf. Advice given - and Ignored. Two new Topics from you already hidden. Your OP said you are too busy to research yourself - yet you have time to open multiple new Topics and post in others.

Maybe you can't kill them but u can maim them. One of these loathesome boors stepped in front of my vehicle and got nailed, the drunken fool. All busted up. Thai cops shrugged an laughed as I explained in Thai what happened, which became the official report. Gave them each cpl hundred baht for their trouble. They told me backrat boy would be held till he paid medical bill. SOP in LOS. He broke my headlight but worth it. One less to plague us.

Archived