Is Starbucks for Thais or Westerners?

mesquite

On 2017/2/12 at 10:00 AM, DILLIGAD said:

Are you talking about their (Starberks) obscene worldwide tax avoidance situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know they have obscene worldwide tax avoidance first time i heard about it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never went to Starbucks in the states because their gimmicky drink crap scheme was idiotic. In Thailand to the OPs question I personally think  it is geared at HiSo Thais.  I enjoy Green Tea with milk and I go to local Thai businesses because I can order it without having to say some assinine name, it's made espresso style from leaves and not powder like SBUX, it's better and it's 3x cheaper. And FWIIW, almost all Thai coffee places offer free wifi.  Go to an Inthanine or numerous other places, connects without even signing in.

I found the few times I stopped  at Stabucks in the states with colleagues it seemed like a very "Apple" sheeple like environment and people spending $5 dollars for some super coffee size deal.

I have never heard anything good about Starbucks in general.  They all can't be wrong...

Edited by JAFO

I go to Starbucks occasionally.    The coffee isn't that great but the frappe's are and it's nice to sit in a cheap charlie free zone and watch the world go by.

To answer your question the preferred customer is anyone who has the money for a B120 coffee although I don't think they are anymore expensive then Coffee World.

Edited by Spaniel
additional info.

It depends what you want really and your budget .  If you prefer Ice coffee's  like Frappucino , Thais love them, it's 130 baht and nothing wrong with the taste. And you can ask for less sugar.

But buying a hot Americano and paying 80 baht for it when the local coffee shop next door makes an excellent cup of coffee for 30 baht is just plain stupid

I'm skeptical about those that like coffee yet claim they don't like Starbucks. Not because I think that Starbucks make great coffee but because it's hardly terrible coffee either. I will happily drink instant coffee if that's all I can get my hands on. Maybe my tastes are more flexible than others or maybe I don't feel the need to define myself by the coffee I drink. 

There's a couple of good articles related to this snobbery on the You're Not So Smart website. Here's a quote from one on selling out, which mainly focuses how people move away from things that become popular but also covers how we look to distinguish ourselves through selection. 

You would compete like this no matter how society was constructed. Competition for status is built into the human experience at the biological level.

Poor people compete with resources. The middle class competes with selection. The wealthy compete with possessions.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/04/12/selling-out/

Also see this one in which wine tasters took part in various experiments. Although they were duped (red dye in white wine and switching bottles), it at least shows that our tastes are not as discerning as we'd like to believe. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/you-are-not-so-smart-why-we-cant-tell-good-wine-from-bad/247240/

On 2/12/2017 at 6:29 AM, Ramen087 said:

... SBUX hasn't fooled the world, they dominate in a food service category they helped create. ...

They are even going to open an outlet in Milan soon. Their first venture into Italy where the coffee bar was conceived and the inspiration for Starbucks.

Starbucks cappucinos in the US are very tasty, not like dishwater at all, always tastes like quality  espresso in there.

I would prefer an independent espresso bar with good cappucinos but Starbucks has eliminated many of those, and Starbucks is everywhere.

Free wifi, sometimes couches and easy chairs.

I normally make my own at home and grind organic dark roasted beans, but sometimes when I'm out I get a Starbucks, especially if I'm traveling.

Some of the Starbucks in the US also completely filled by students at every table and every stool along a window ledge on their computers doing schoolwork, especially one I used to stop at that's near a city college.

Same as described in this thread, I no longer stop there because I can't get a seat.

Edited by JimmyJ

Sure, Starbucks in Thailand has Thai workers, but all the signs are in English only. 

So who are the preferred customers, Thais or Westerners?

There are 60+ million Thais in this country.

Why on earth would they target anyone else?

Amazing how many people say "it is shit coffee"

I am a big fan of coffee but at the end of the day it's just roasted beans that are ground and then have hot water run through them.

Really - as long as it's recently brewed, it's hard to mess coffee up.

Honestly, how hard is it to not disappear up your own anus when discussing a hot beverage.

I have had to go into SB's twice cos there was nothing else ......Coffee was crap, personnel service was crap..........If folk actually go to these places to look "Yupy" or "cool" and pay daft money for a drink that is up to them...But me, seems just a means of giving your money away...Weeeeeell, look at the profits this "side show" are making for a hot drink....:shock1:

Edited by transam

On 2/12/2017 at 6:29 AM, Ramen087 said:

These chronic posts I read bashing SBUX just crack me up. Wherever you go the place is near full to overflowing. They must be doing something right. Reminds me of so many 'sour grapes posts' about other consistently successful businesses, like the Apple, the New England Patriots, or McDonald's.  Some people just aren't happy unless they're bashing people or groups with massive success, thinking they're elevating themselves by hating on what so many people enjoy, as though they're above it all. SBUX hasn't fooled the world, they dominate in a food service category they helped create. The large scale retail food marketplace is highly competitive and very efficient. If they weren't outperforming the competition, SBUX would be contracting instead of expanding. If you want to drink coffee acquired at a local roaster, or a different chain, that's cool. But please stop with all this SBUX is crap stuff...it is so tired and boring.

"There's one born every minute" - PT Barnum

55 minutes ago, transam said:

I have had to go into SB's twice cos there was nothing else ......Coffee was crap, personnel service was crap..........If folk actually go to these places to look "Yupy" or "cool" and pay daft money for a drink that is up to them...But me, seems just a means of giving your money away...Weeeeeell, look at the profits this "side show" are making for a hot drink....:shock1:

Thank You.

On 2/13/2017 at 9:56 AM, LannaGuy said:

very true and I must confess if I have a date sometimes I choose Starbucks as it does have that little extra 'bling' appeal for the lassies who may not go there very often as it is overpriced as everyone has commented but i can't see much benefit in slagging them off - just don't go. 

"Bling" of Starbucks?  This opens a whole new world to me.  I do have to reflect on this though...

On 2/13/2017 at 10:21 AM, Ramen087 said:

Making something of very similar or even the exact level of quality at home isn't very difficult. You are one hundred percent correct. SBUX sells the experience. Without the experience, it's just coffee. As far as the self-loathing... it may not hurt to cut yourself some slack. We're all human.  ?

The "Starbucks Experience."  Sir this is profound, indeed... 

On 2/12/2017 at 1:00 PM, georgemandm said:

You most work for them hahah just joking ok .

i think it is shit coffee that is my  opinion like you have your say , this is a free  forum to say as we like , just as you just told us .

i think it is over priced and  taste  terrible .

like  McDonald's it is all over the world and is  terrible food , but that is me .

No one is  bashing , we are just having our say about the  topic .

How dare you express your own personal, candid opinion in an open forum.  Good God man what's come over you... :clap2:

Honestly I haven't had their coffee for many years.  I do remember on the rare occasions I had it, it was  pretty good in San Diego anyway.  The price though,  Everyone always agreed  kind of expensive for what you got.  How ever after this clowns announcement I'll never patronize them again!

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/01/31/starbucks-pledge-hire-10000-refugees-sparks-boycottstarbucks-movement-social-media/

On 12-2-2017 at 6:29 AM, Ramen087 said:

They must be doing something right

They do nothing right. It's only showing the rest of the Thai don't understand a duck of what people want and will pay for.

If you start a real W-European coffeebar/cafe with real coffee and beers, good seats, nice music, trained personell it will also be loaded every day...It's just that there's no decent place to sit, drink and have a chat in Thailand.

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

They do nothing right. It's only showing the rest of the Thai don't understand a duck of what people want and will pay for.

If you start a real W-European coffeebar/cafe with real coffee and beers, good seats, nice music, trained personell it will also be loaded every day...It's just that there's no decent place to sit, drink and have a chat in Thailand.

If you haven't been able to find a decent place to sit, drink and have a chat in Thailand then you're either extremely choosy, don't get out much or live in the Issan area.     And even in the Issan area there are a few places.

At least they serve the coffee hot. I have been to so many small coffee shops in Thailand where the coffee served is tepid. I am no coffee aficionado but like a hot latte every now and then. What choice do I have? I don't like Coffee World or Au Bon Pain's versions of latte. I of course would like somewhere where I do not have to pay so much. I used to swear that I would never set foot in Starbucks because it is overpriced, but ended up eating my words and visiting quite regularly.   

36 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Buy one of these,and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I enjoy a latte now and then but not that much. Also drinking coffee at home and outside are just not the same. BTW I do not even have any coffee of any kind at home. Only ever drink it when I am out and about.