Is Starbucks for Thais or Westerners?

mesquite

50 minutes ago, rijb said:

Barista included?

Yeah you :-) 

I had a Delonghi machine that I bought from Amazon for about £50 several years ago; it's now about £90 but still very cheap compared to those above. These machines don't require much skill to operate and if you use a good coffee, such as Lavazza, then you can easily make a top notch long espresso style coffee that easily compares to what you would get in France or Italy. 

Edited by LandOfWiles

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:17 AM, fruitman said:

They do nothing right. It's only showing the rest of the Thai don't understand a duck of what people want and will pay for.

If you start a real W-European coffeebar/cafe with real coffee and beers, good seats, nice music, trained personell it will also be loaded every day...It's just that there's no decent place to sit, drink and have a chat in Thailand.

Sounds like you have real conviction this model will work; why not do it?

Edited by Ramen087

I enjoy drinking coffee in a number of different premises. There is no shortage of competition from both other chains and independents in Thailand.
Starbucks sell well because their style of coffee suits a number of people and the corporate standard for seating and periferal services like free access to Wi-Fi and newspapers are enjoyed.

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2017 at 3:11 PM, Dagnabbit said:

Amazing how many people say "it is shit coffee"

I am a big fan of coffee but at the end of the day it's just roasted beans that are ground and then have hot water run through them.

Really - as long as it's recently brewed, it's hard to mess coffee up.

Honestly, how hard is it to not disappear up your own anus when discussing a hot beverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. "Honestly, how hard is it to not disappear up your own anus when discussing a hot beverage." Destined to be a classic!!!

On 2/15/2017 at 6:21 PM, JimmyJ said:

Starbucks cappucinos in the US are very tasty, not like dishwater at all, always tastes like quality  espresso in there.

I would prefer an independent espresso bar with good cappucinos but Starbucks has eliminated many of those, and Starbucks is everywhere.

Free wifi, sometimes couches and easy chairs.

I normally make my own at home and grind organic dark roasted beans, but sometimes when I'm out I get a Starbucks, especially if I'm traveling.

Some of the Starbucks in the US also completely filled by students at every table and every stool along a window ledge on their computers doing schoolwork, especially one I used to stop at that's near a city college.

Same as described in this thread, I no longer stop there because I can't get a seat.

Interesting.  These students are drinking overpriced coffee. And most are living in their parents basements.

On 2/20/2017 at 9:59 AM, GarryP said:

At least they serve the coffee hot. I have been to so many small coffee shops in Thailand where the coffee served is tepid. I am no coffee aficionado but like a hot latte every now and then. What choice do I have? I don't like Coffee World or Au Bon Pain's versions of latte. I of course would like somewhere where I do not have to pay so much. I used to swear that I would never set foot in Starbucks because it is overpriced, but ended up eating my words and visiting quite regularly.   

Well said chief, lukewarm coffee is an all too frequent an experience here. On to Starbucks I like a coffee upstairs at the one on Beach Rd / Soi Yamato when in town, provided it's not too hot. Interesting watching the activities on Beach Rd as well.

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

Interesting.  These students are drinking overpriced coffee. And most are living in their parents basements.

Referring to the US -

How much is an internet cafe for a few hours? (Not that common in the US anyway).

Instead they get a fairly pleasant place to work, with a tasty cappucino included, free wi fi, many electric outlets, for about $4.50 US for a Grande (medium size) which has 2 shots of espresso in it. So they get a solid upper to pop their eyes wide open.

They could just get a small regular coffee which is probably about $2.00.

They can hang out all day if they want, see friends and classmates, study. The one I mention with the students has pleasant outdoor tables (but no electric outlets outside at this one) - if a table is available.

Many prospects also to chat up there, although I've never noticed any of the students trying that - they do seem engrossed in their homework.

Edited by JimmyJ

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

I always preferred The French Press.  Saw a small one at Villa the other day for 425 bhat...

A french press can make a decent cup of coffee, for sure. But an espresso is a different drink altogether.  Is it worth the price of even an entry level espresso machine? It's up to the individual.

26 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

A french press can make a decent cup of coffee, for sure. But an espresso is a different drink altogether.  Is it worth the price of even an entry level espresso machine? It's up to the individual.

I've for years been using a Mr. Coffee espresso machine. I'm on about my 4th one - at least - just bought it this week - $40 USD.

Not like a real pro machine, no crema, but for a cheap price I can get a good hit of my drug of choice (2 a day) and tastes pretty good.

(I use excellent organic dark roast beans, spring water, and organic soy milk instead of cow milk for cappuccinos. So better quality ingredients than the store bought ones. But store bought ones can sometimes taste better because a better quality espresso machine).

Edited by JimmyJ

30 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I've for years been using a Mr. Coffee espresso machine. I'm on about my 4th one - at least - just bought it this week - $40 USD.

Not like a real pro machine, no crema, but for a cheap price I can get a good hit of my drug of choice (2 a day) and tastes pretty good.

(I use excellent organic dark roast beans, spring water, and organic soy milk instead of cow milk for cappuccinos. So better quality ingredients than the store bought ones. But store bought ones can sometimes taste better because a better quality espresso machine).

Agreed. Those macĥines are great for brewing a dark cup of coffee. I prefer to use them for a four ounce cup.  Gee, I guess I'd better get off my butt and buy a new one. Thanks for the reminder.

If you have to drink hot latte at Starbucks , remember to ask for an extra shot of espresso (+15 baht) or what you'll get is basically hot milk for 100 baht . 

Edited by balo

On 2/12/2017 at 1:03 PM, moe666 said:

Heheheheh keep on bashing Starbucks I have made a pretty penny holding there stock for a number of years. Love the haters but really love the people who visit a world class business. 

The arms trade is world  class....doesnt make it good  though.......money first eh

I love these starbucks haters.  Starbucks coffee tastes perfectly fine.  Is it the best? No.  Is it as bad as 7/11 or mcdonalds?  Hell no!  Where I come from I buy a bag of newhall coffee beans and grind the beans and use my aeropress (amazon) espressos maker.  Nothing is better to me.

aeropress_system_new.jpg

10 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Say what you like about Starbucks..... I like it......and I get my low fat milk into the bargain.....

its for anyone , who wants a Coffee.....strong or weak,,...your choice......

enjoy.....

I suspect most of the coffee snobs have no better taste than we do, but like to pretend otherwise.

9dc46fcd6a90e31e8fa825655b4c19d9.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

I suspect most of the coffee snobs have no better taste than we do, but like to pretend otherwise.

9dc46fcd6a90e31e8fa825655b4c19d9.jpg

You can't really argue taste.. its impossible. I don't understand the hatred for Starbucks, when I go there i take a nice hot coco (I don't drink coffee i think it taste like crap never learned to like it) The people that take me to Starbucks seem to like it. 

5 hours ago, Old Fool said:

I love these starbucks haters.  Starbucks coffee tastes perfectly fine.  Is it the best? No.  Is it as bad as 7/11 or mcdonalds?  Hell no!  Where I come from I buy a bag of newhall coffee beans and grind the beans and use my aeropress (amazon) espressos maker.  Nothing is better to me.

aeropress_system_new.jpg

The Aeropress is a fine alternative to an espresso machine, and also a moka pot. You're no fool, my man.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:14 PM, balo said:

If you have to drink hot latte at Starbucks , remember to ask for an extra shot of espresso (+15 baht) or what you'll get is basically hot milk for 100 baht . 

thanks 4 the tip

On 2/11/2017 at 0:43 PM, lionmeetstiger said:

English language is often used in Thailand when trying to lend a premium feel to a product aimed at Thai's.

Starbucks probably don't care where their customers come from, but their use of English is definitely not intended to exclude Thai's, quite the opposite.

went to a domino's tonight and ordered off the menu in english, loved it. but the help could not understand what I was saying.

On 2/12/2017 at 0:29 PM, Ramen087 said:

These chronic posts I read bashing SBUX just crack me up. Wherever you go the place is near full to overflowing. They must be doing something right. Reminds me of so many 'sour grapes posts' about other consistently successful businesses, like the Apple, the New England Patriots, or McDonald's.  Some people just aren't happy unless they're bashing people or groups with massive success, thinking they're elevating themselves by hating on what so many people enjoy, as though they're above it all. SBUX hasn't fooled the world, they dominate in a food service category they helped create. The large scale retail food marketplace is highly competitive and very efficient. If they weren't outperforming the competition, SBUX would be contracting instead of expanding. If you want to drink coffee acquired at a local roaster, or a different chain, that's cool. But please stop with all this SBUX is crap stuff...it is so tired and boring.

LOL. The only thing they do "right" is to make their brand desirable, just like Macs, KFC etc. back in the world, Macs/ KFC are the cheap option for a meal when in town, but in LOS it seems that the locals are prepared to pay enough to feed the entire family just for a burger, unhealthy drink and fries. Never really understood why, but perhaps the advertising is exceptional.

The only difference that I can see with Starbucks is that even back home I wouldn't pay their price for a paper cup of brown liquid.

On 3/12/2017 at 3:34 PM, mogandave said:

I imagine the same people that that hate Starbucks hate McDonald's.

Not a fan of either, but there are certainly worse places to get coffee or French-fries.

People love to hate

Live, love, laugh

LOL. I hate Starbucks as I consider them a rip off, but I quite like Macs when I'm looking for a cheap feed ( back home, not in LOS where they are the expensive option ).

I do dislike their silly skinny fries though.

Now that I've been on this thread I'm wanting a big mac, so I'm going to get one one on the way to my pit, but I'll get the KFC fries, as they do decent ones.

LOL. I hate Starbucks as I consider them a rip off, but I quite like Macs when I'm looking for a cheap feed ( back home, not in LOS where they are the expensive option ).
I do dislike their silly skinny fries though.
Now that I've been on this thread I'm wanting a big mac, so I'm going to get one one on the way to my pit, but I'll get the KFC fries, as they do decent ones.

Let go of the hate dude, it will eat you up.