Tennis: Germans outraged as U.S. plays Nazi version of anthem

webfact

Tennis: Germans outraged as U.S. plays Nazi version of anthem

REUTERS

r7.jpg

The German national flag is seen in front of dark clouds at the Chancellery in Berlin, Germany, May 30, 2016. REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch

(Reuters) - German tennis has responded with outrage after the United States Tennis Association (USTA) made the embarrassing error of playing the Nazi-era version of Germany's national anthem during a Fed Cup tie in Hawaii.

The version played included the first stanza, beginning "Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles, uber alles in der Welt" which was used as Nazi propaganda.

It translates as "Germany, Germany, above all, above all in the world" and was dropped after World War Two because of its association with Adolf Hitler

But Deutschlandlied, written in 1841, is still listed as the official national anthem, with only the third verse now being sung.

Unfortunately, the male soloist on the Hawaiian island of Maui somehow sung the wrong version.

"I thought it was the epitome of ignorance, and I've never felt more disrespected in my whole life, let alone in Fed Cup," Germany's Andrea Petkovic said, adding that she considered walking off court before the singles match against Alison Riske.

Petkovic later said her first comments had been somewhat emotional but that was because the incident happened before her match and she was left stunned.

"We were left shocked and did not know how to react," Petkovic said.

German team coach Barbara Ritter said the mistake was "an absolute scandal, a disrespectful incident and inexcusable".

German tennis federation chief Ulrich Klaus said his American counterpart had apologised for the mistake.

"Our American hosts at the Fed Cup opening in Hawaii made a mistake that should not happen," Klaus said in a statement.

"The fact that in the year 2017 a wrong anthem can be played that is associated with the horror of the past was for players and staff and the officials present both shocking and disturbing."

"The USTA through its president Katrina Adams has apologised officially in writing and in person and deeply regrets the blunder."

Riske won the opening rubber to give the U.S. a 1-0 lead. Bad weather prevented any further play on the opening day of the tie.

(Reporting by Steve Tongue and Karolos Grohmann, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-13

the banned first verse refers to the unification of the 35 separate states of germany not to hitlers plans for world domination.

the second verse, also banned, refers to wine women and song.

only the third verse can be sung today without causing offense.

the swastica is a good luck symbol adopted by the nazi party.

hitler liked to eat mashed potatoes and carrots.

what a pity the nazi party did not adopt the christian crucifix

so that then we might then ban it.

after all they were all catholics were they not.

outrage, shock, disrespect, ignorance - how about just a tiny bit of tolerance towards someone who made an unintentional mistake at a sporting event? If you show that you can forgive and forget you will have a much more positive impact, as opposed to that show of indignation and inflexibility...

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Talk about a non-news event. The Germans getting all hot under the collar about trivial stuff like this is a classic indicator of why their country is going the way it is. They should be proud and not let themselves feel guilty and be brainwashed.

I agree - it's the faux outrage of a nation that raises it's citizens to feel guilty about the sins of their forefathers.

Add in a little liberal snowflakery ala generation butthurt and you get the asinine comments above  "I thought it was the epitome of ignorance, and I've never felt more disrespected in my whole life, let alone in Fed Cup,"  - <deleted> get over it, they just played the wrong version. It wasn't intentional and should have been brushed off. Never felt more disrespected - what a ludicrous thing to say.

Edited by Dagnabbit

Let's have a sense of humor.

If, yes if ...., Trump should dare to visit Germany let's play :  "US, US über alles ...". Just Trumps own words (=America first). I would like to see his face and the reaction of right-wingers.

BTW, why do we need national anthems in sport events? In some sports - after singing the hymn - the so-called sportsmen don't mind to grab some parts of your body. Or even kick their feet or hands at your body. And this all in the name of their country? :post-4641-1156694572:

What do you expect from the world's most self-absorbed nation? Half of all Americans have never ventured outside their country and probably couldn't pick out Germany on a map.

That's nice Thousands Of Americans died there freeing Europe ,not knowing all they did was remove one bad lot So Arabs can walk in.Sorry if the truth offends the PC Fanboys

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Talk about a non-news event. The Germans getting all hot under the collar about trivial stuff like this is a classic indicator of why their country is going the way it is. They should be proud and not let themselves feel guilty and be brainwashed.

Do you want them to be sensitive about the history or not? Posters should make their minds up....

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

it's not "the Germans" who get all hot over a non-event. it's just a few stupid politicians who behave in a ridiculous way. every true German resents that our national anthem was "circumcised" by the order of the allied victorious nations.

47 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Naam

But there is an "it became associated with" version.

Hitler had a German shepherd and was a vegetarian. did this breed of dogs and vegetarians "became associated with"? 

29 minutes ago, Ralf61 said:

Nice to hear the Krauts got no other problems to solve...

BTW: Adolfo used to dine using cutlery. Is this banned in Kraut-land either?

yes, we Krauts use only wooden spoons. knives are completely forbidden.

2 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

I agree - it's the faux outrage of a nation that raises it's citizens to feel guilty about the sins of their forefathers.

there's no such thing like an outrage of a nation except in some vivid journalists' phantasies. but you are quite right that postwar citizens were raised with guilty feelings which i think is justified.

2 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Only state whimsy PCstuff here yet again It getting to much of late,left interpretation of Visa Rules . Germans are not enraged,least the ones I see here are not

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have heard this version sung by the public at a beer festival (Fruhlingsfest) in a beer tent of about 2,000 people, everyone joined in (even me) happy days