Soldiers out in force all over Pattaya after latest damaging minivan story hits social media

webfact

Soldiers out in force all over Pattaya after latest damaging minivan story hits social media

2a.jpg

Picture: siamchonnews

PATTAYA: -- Soldiers swooped on three minivan queues in Pattaya yesterday after a story condemning the transport service was posted on social media.

Army men first went to the Pattaya to Bangkok rank of Rung Reuang Tour on South Pattaya Road, reported siamchonnews.

They then proceeded to the Pattaya to Nakorn Pathom service behind Big C South Pattaya.

Finally they went to Tawan Ork Tour back on South Pattaya Road where the story of the stranded tourist had originated and been shared to the internet.

They discovered that the rogue driver was operating the Bangkok to Rayong service. He was called over the phone and a meeting was arranged at Wat Pho later yesterday with him and the owner of the rank whose Thai ID card was confiscated in the meantime.

The minivan story caused much comment on social media and the army moved to reassure the public and protect the image of tourism in Thailand, said the military.

No police were involved.

Source: siamchonnews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-14

2 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Again, the Army taking over the role of the lazy police. May it continue.

Couldn't agree more. When there's video you often see the army guys checking all the right things, the police don't seem to know where to start.

Same with footpath vendors on Ram. Road, police come but no idea what to do, eventually army intervened, well organized, focused on the right things, focused discussion.Police just stand there looking foolish.

Vendors warned of more serious action and after maybe second warning vendors just returned again, so army turns up with big truck unannounced, no discussions, officers quickly tell the army troops 'just pick it up and throw it on the truck and fast'. Army officers also loudly and continuously tell the vendors to not offer bribes, also the tell the young soldiers 'don't tell the vendors where their wares are going'.

Then the vendors took heed, but now, after maybe 12 months some of the more belligerent vendors slowly started to encroach back on large % the footpath. Didn't take long before army turns up again and proceeds, no discussion to just throw it all on the back of the big truck.

Couple of the staff from my hotel just inside the soi watching the proceedings, most beligerent vendor talks very nasty to 2 young soldiers, their officer intervenes and demands the vendor apologize to his men.

How about just fire all the police.  They don't seem to be doing anything other than collecting "Tea" money from motorists.  And various businesses...

I still can't figure out what actually happened.  Was the tourist left on the side of a road?  Not allowed to get into the van?  Anybody help here? LOL

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

How about just fire all the police.  They don't seem to be doing anything other than collecting "Tea" money from motorists.  And various businesses...

I still can't figure out what actually happened.  Was the tourist left on the side of a road?  Not allowed to get into the van?  Anybody help here? LOL

"How about just fire all the police...."   Agree!

Here's a few questions:

- What specifically has the current national police chief achieved? Anything outstanding, anything noteworthy?

- Has he achieved any level of strong or even basic credibility?

- Has he proven he has the capabilities and performance record needed / expected for the national chief Job?

And the situation with the Bkk police chief, absolute evidence of lack of any credibility, any morals, should have been fired weeks ago.

Any further announcemnets, is he still taking the 50,000 advisor salary?

The silence if deafening and just confirming the serious lack of ethics of the whole RTP. 

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

How about just fire all the police

That would be a good start.

Last week around 5.30 pm I am driving on highway 7 direction Bangkok just past the Nongrue toll booths.

Traffic was not heavy but all lanes had cars.

At one point an old model Camry, with light blue tail lights by the way, passes over the left side hard shoulder at what I guess must have been at least 150km/h.

He continues like this for as far as I can see, however about 3 - 400 meter ahead a car of the highway police is travelling, and he passes that car as well over the hard shoulder at high speed.

The police car didn't even attempt to chase the car.

Given how absolutely useless the police are and continue to be, now that the military seem to have taken up the role of the police, would it not be a very good time to completely shut down the police (ie Fire the lot of them, every last one, top to bottom), and start up a new professional police force, with all new and properly vetted personnel?

Just a passing thought.   :tongue:

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I once said let the army do the police work and send the police down South.

That'll put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Given how absolutely useless the police are and continue to be, now that the military seem to have taken up the role of the police, would it not be a very good time to completely shut down the police (ie Fire the lot of them, every last one, top to bottom), and start up a new professional police force, with all new and properly vetted personnel?

Just a passing thought.   :tongue:

They would protest on the streets followed by gun battles.

Nice thought though

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Couldn't agree more. When there's video you often see the army guys checking all the right things, the police don't seem to know where to start.

Same with footpath vendors on Ram. Road, police come but no idea what to do, eventually army intervened, well organized, focused on the right things, focused discussion.Police just stand there looking foolish.

Vendors warned of more serious action and after maybe second warning vendors just returned again, so army turns up with big truck unannounced, no discussions, officers quickly tell the army troops 'just pick it up and throw it on the truck and fast'. Army officers also loudly and continuously tell the vendors to not offer bribes, also the tell the young soldiers 'don't tell the vendors where their wares are going'.

Then the vendors took heed, but now, after maybe 12 months some of the more belligerent vendors slowly started to encroach back on large % the footpath. Didn't take long before army turns up again and proceeds, no discussion to just throw it all on the back of the big truck.

Couple of the staff from my hotel just inside the soi watching the proceedings, most beligerent vendor talks very nasty to 2 young soldiers, their officer intervenes and demands the vendor apologize to his men.

Aww.........c'mon, be fair to the police. They have to work out who is going to pay and how much before they deal with the problem! :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 8:37 AM, scorecard said:

The police specialize in only one activity, and it cannot be conducted when someone is filming........

On 14/02/2017 at 9:28 AM, outsider said:

Protect the image of tourism. Not the consumers. TiT.

Protect or deceive tourists two words that have the same meaning around here, judging by events of the last month or so.

I was going to feed some fish today but best not, I think I will going Jet skiing in the world class Hub of Deception

Does anyone know what they are doing in this neck of the woods?

Child Like behavior seems to be the call of the day,

The way its going, we soon will be playing a new game "Spot The Tourist"

The Pattaya police department and city hall are two different entities (unlike the set-up in most countries). -So the police department can do their "own thing" (which is not keeping the city safe and preying on the "small fry" on motorcycles.

On 2/14/2017 at 8:37 AM, scorecard said:

I like the footpath vendors on Ram Road...I hope the vendors keep coming

back....More power to the street vendors...

As far as the mini vans go the vast majority of the mini van drivers are

hard working guys who do a good job and a few bad apples should

not make them all look bad...

12 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I like the footpath vendors on Ram Road...I hope the vendors keep coming

back....More power to the street vendors...

As far as the mini vans go the vast majority of the mini van drivers are

hard working guys who do a good job and a few bad apples should

not make them all look bad...

So you like a situation where the public can't walk on the footpath because the vendors occupy 95% of the footpath area, forcing lots of people, often with small children to walk on the actual road amidst the fast moving intense traffic and in some areas not well lit, and the drivers can't easily see the people walking on the edge of the road (the road, not the footpath).

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

So you like a situation where the public can't walk on the footpath because the vendors occupy 95% of the footpath area, forcing lots of people, often with small children to walk on the actual road amidst the fast moving intense traffic and in some areas not well lit, and the drivers can't easily see the people walking on the edge of the road (the road, not the footpath).

Not to mention the trash and health issues.  And the corruption it encourages as these vendors pay off the police.