Just how Thai are you...

grollies

..or would you like to become?

Having moved here, whether it be through work, retirement, extended hols, do you wish to, or feel the need, to integrate?

For instance, when cutting your finger nails do you leave the little finger (pinky to our American cousins) nail longer to assist the picking of one's nose?

Do you eat rice every day?

Have you learned the phrase 'mai mee'?

Let's see some examples of integration or hear reasons why one should not emulate our hosts, for instance insisting that the wife ride on the right side of the road when you are riding pillion.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

A not so cunningly disguised Thai bashing thread or an excuse to, sad!

Nope, just a bit of fun. If you read a couple of recent exchanges between me and kannot you'd know better. I'm sure kannot will vouch to that.

Just after a few chuckles.

Edited by grollies

Well, after living here 15 years,  the opening of this thread has at least accomplished one thing for me, personally:  I now know why Thais don't cut the nail of their pinky.  However, I still prefer to politely use a tissue rather than pick. 

As to your other points:

• Yes, I eat rice every day.
  • I pick my teeth covering my mouth with one hand.
  • I wipe my nose with a tissue, rather than blow into a handkerchief.
  • I break more traffic laws than I did in my home country.  Sometimes out of necessity.
  • I prefer chopsticks over western cutlery for some dishes.
  • I shove my food onto my spoon with my fork.  Never put the fork in my mouth anymore. 
  • I begrudgingly cut meat with a spoon at the table. 
  • At a restaurant, I don't send back a wrong order when I'm with a Thai.  
  • The spicy-hotter, the better!
  • I don't point my feet at people in a room, nor do I put them up on a coffee table or chair. 
  • I don't spazz out any more when a hired worker screws up.  I just politely ask them to re-do it right.  If they argue, they are partially paid, and are asked to leave the job.  All with a smile.  
  • Yeah, I've learned to smile a lot more--especially in awkward situations with Thais.  
  • I don't hand out papers in class over the heads of other students.
  • When among Thais, if I disagree, I keep silent rather than argue. 
  • I raise my voice a lot less.  I channel anger differently.
  • I've learned to "live and let-live" a lot better.  
  • I've stopped saying, "Well, in my country we do it like this....."
  • I don't mind waiting for late-comers any more (social situations, service people coming to the house).  I have a smartphone to stay occupied. 
  • I've learned the joy of sitting for several hours over an evening meal, enjoying the company of Thai family/friends.  
  • I'm a firm believer in the "bum-gun."  
  • I've learned to sniff-kiss. 

No, I'm not retired nor live in the "sticks."  I'm a very busy instructor in a 50,000-student body university with many activities and significant responsibilities that include research and textbook authoring.  

Many of these Thai traits I learned to do in other Asian countries where I've worked, so some naturally carried over to Thai culture.  I don't do these things to "be Thai" or "to be more Thai than Thou."   I do many of them because they smooth the daily flow of interaction with family and friends.  Some I do because I like them better than my old ways.  

I still carry a lot of western traits, and I am reminded of that quite often by Thai friends.   In my home country, I have been a manager in a corporation, and an administrator--so I know how to be heard, give orders, and push my weight around when necessary--in that culture.  However, I consider myself no "wussy" for changing as I've done in Thailand.  I feel I've just found a better and stress-free way to live life.  I'm sure it's already added years to my lifespan.  
Edited by Fookhaht

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah the fork to spoon eating. I can hardly eat Western style anymore even with western food. Chopsticks are for noodles only! 

I'll be eating food with my family in my home country, and soon become aware of their silent stares.  Oh yeah, the fork-to-spoon thing.   Wait 'til they see how I can  strip the meat off a chicken wing with my spoon!   

I like eating a salad with chopsticks. 

Edited by Fookhaht

There's a lot of things I prefer about this culture and have become very accustomed to. The bum-gun. The fork & spoon. The way people don't ask a lot of questions and let things go easily. But it's important to pay attention to which changes and adaptations can result in losing your identity or would be seen as degrading yourself back home. For example, I refuse to lower my head around someone that is seen as more important than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I eat 90 percent Thai food... including the weird and wonderful scary stuff.

I can't remember the last time I used a knife!!

I always stay out of the sun.. (I burn really easy.. not because I don't want dark skin).

I have always (even in the UK) been more comfortable sitting on the floor than on a sofa.

Can never go into a house without taking off my shoes.. and get uncomfortable if someone does not do that in my house)

I rarely get angry, and when I do I don't raise me voice or make a scene.

I keep roosters.

I am very conscious of body hygiene!

I am always polite and nice on the surface to people I don't even like.. and then quickly make some excuse to get away from them.

I hate the cold and get cold even when my Thai friends are not lol.

BUT I am not at all superstitious, don't believe in Ghosts, and believe no religion.  I also don't care about the height I cheers a drink glass with someone else, or be subservient to someone who is supposed to be higher socially or materially than me (I tread everyone the same so long as they are a nice person). 

I eat 90 percent Thai food... including the weird and wonderful scary stuff.

I can't remember the last time I used a knife!!

I always stay out of the sun.. (I burn really easy.. not because I don't want dark skin).

I have always (even in the UK) been more comfortable sitting on the floor than on a sofa.

Can never go into a house without taking off my shoes.. and get uncomfortable if someone does not do that in my house)

I rarely get angry, and when I do I don't raise me voice or make a scene.

I keep roosters.

I am very conscious of body hygiene!

I am always polite and nice on the surface to people I don't even like.. and then quickly make some excuse to get away from them.

I hate the cold and get cold even when my Thai friends are not lol.

BUT I am not at all superstitious, don't believe in Ghosts, and believe no religion.  I also don't care about the height I cheers a drink glass with someone else, or be subservient to someone who is supposed to be higher socially or materially than me (I tread everyone the same so long as they are a nice person). 

Do you eat toast?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Not really... actually I can't remember last time I ate it.  But if I did eat toast it would make me more Thai.. because I notice a lot of Thai people like eating sweet toast.. honey toast, etc. 

Toast made from normal bread, with butter, wouldn't make you more Thai, as their idea of toast is the bread barely toasted and covered in some sickly sweet gunge.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I second that......really sad.

Seriously, it's not. I was looking to elicit responses from people like Fookhaht, Jak2002003, elderagon and humerous posts too.

I fully agree the last couple of posts are pretty awful but that was not the intention here.

Let's face facts, the majority of topics in this part of the TVF usually descend into Thai-bashing and/or personal insult.

I've been coming here on and off for 9 years snd moved here full time late 2015.

Life here and the people is interesting. I've recently started studying the late King's 'Sufficiency Econony Philosophy'. I find it interesting and we are attempting the 'Good Life' of self-sufficiency as much as possible.

I was encouraged to integrate by the kindness shown to me by the locals here who all mucked in to help me revamp our small chicken shed when we first settled here.

I've no time for posters like bamukloy and don mega but at least I now know where they stand.

A pal of mine was told off by his Thai wife because he was not becoming Thai enough (when actually he is really rather Thai!). He then asked her, how Thai he should become? Should he take a Mia Noi? Or perhaps a Gig? That was the end of that particular conversation.

After 15 years I feel more like a look khrung..   half Thai style and half Farang.

- After most of the sentences in English, I say  'nah ?'

- I need to eat Mookata (BBQ) at least every week, and eat with chopsticks. And need lots of spicy sauce.

- If someone says something clever, I say ' eeuh' !  (falling tone)

- Never ride 'motorcike'  with a helmet, I just take it out of the seat box when I see police

- When driving car, I take over other cars on the left and the right side

- Showering 2 times a day, with almost cold water

- Don't use expensive shower cream, but just normal soap

- And sure, I hate toilets without bum guns

- When a Thai approaches me on a moto on the wrong way of the road, and almost  hits  me, he smiles and I smile back. I have done the same sometimes...

- I don't get into arguments with Thai guys ( especially not while drinking )

- I like beer Leo and enjoy some peanuts with it in a bar , some dried chilies in them are even better.

- Sang som tastes a lot better then Jack Daniels ( well, to me that is 55 )

- I enjoy some rain and don't curse it like in Europe.

- I also learned to smile a lot more and don't take drunken farang, talking lots of BS, serious at all.

- I use the horn of my car about 800 x less than back in Europe.

- I got a lot more patient with things, except at street food stalls where I never had to wait more than 10 minutes for my food ( and a perfect time to buy and consume a Leo from a local shop ).

- I solve medical problems with the people i know at the local pharmacy instead of seeing a doctor.

- I play Thai music just as often as western music

but...  I still love my western breakfast sometimes.. and pizza once in a while. Will always remain partly western.

14 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

A pal of mine was told off by his Thai wife because he was not becoming Thai enough (when actually he is really rather Thai!). He then asked her, how Thai he should become? Should he take a Mia Noi? Or perhaps a Gig? That was the end of that particular conversation.

I have all three , and i drink my beer with ice in it.

Am i Thai enough  ?

I consider my self well integrated, my Thai is far from perfect and there's lots of things here that could be better but I accept and enjoy the place and its people for what they are without feeling the need to criticise to others. Mostly I feel comfortable being the only foreigner amongst a large group of non-English speaking Thai people, perhaps better to say that doesn't make me feel uncomfortable. My diet is 80% western food, I can't handle Thai TV but I think many Thai movies are excellent be they humour, scary or almost documentary like. I don't get upset any more when people try to scam me because usually I catch it before it costs me anything - I don't resent the Immigration guys trying to take a cut because the whole country is like that to some degree, it's almost cultural. I know if I ask a question I'll always get an answer and a smile and that it may take several answers before I get the right one, no big deal, it's the way it is.

On 15/2/2560 at 5:05 PM, Fookhaht said:

Well, after living here 15 years,  the opening of this thread has at least accomplished one thing for me, personally:  I now know why Thais don't cut the nail of their pinky.  However, I still prefer to politely use a tissue rather than pick. 

As to your other points:

• Yes, I eat rice every day.
  • I pick my teeth covering my mouth with one hand.
  • I wipe my nose with a tissue, rather than blow into a handkerchief.
  • I break more traffic laws than I did in my home country.  Sometimes out of necessity.
  • I prefer chopsticks over western cutlery for some dishes.
  • I shove my food onto my spoon with my fork.  Never put the fork in my mouth anymore. 
  • I begrudgingly cut meat with a spoon at the table. 
  • At a restaurant, I don't send back a wrong order when I'm with a Thai.  
  • The spicy-hotter, the better!
  • I don't point my feet at people in a room, nor do I put them up on a coffee table or chair. 
  • I don't spazz out any more when a hired worker screws up.  I just politely ask them to re-do it right.  If they argue, they are partially paid, and are asked to leave the job.  All with a smile.  
  • Yeah, I've learned to smile a lot more--especially in awkward situations with Thais.  
  • I don't hand out papers in class over the heads of other students.
  • When among Thais, if I disagree, I keep silent rather than argue. 
  • I raise my voice a lot less.  I channel anger differently.
  • I've learned to "live and let-live" a lot better.  
  • I've stopped saying, "Well, in my country we do it like this....."
  • I don't mind waiting for late-comers any more (social situations, service people coming to the house).  I have a smartphone to stay occupied. 
  • I've learned the joy of sitting for several hours over an evening meal, enjoying the company of Thai family/friends.  
  • I'm a firm believer in the "bum-gun."  
  • I've learned to sniff-kiss. 

No, I'm not retired nor live in the "sticks."  I'm a very busy instructor in a 50,000-student body university with many activities and significant responsibilities that include research and textbook authoring.  

Many of these Thai traits I learned to do in other Asian countries where I've worked, so some naturally carried over to Thai culture.  I don't do these things to "be Thai" or "to be more Thai than Thou."   I do many of them because they smooth the daily flow of interaction with family and friends.  Some I do because I like them better than my old ways.  

I still carry a lot of western traits, and I am reminded of that quite often by Thai friends.   In my home country, I have been a manager in a corporation, and an administrator--so I know how to be heard, give orders, and push my weight around when necessary--in that culture.  However, I consider myself no "wussy" for changing as I've done in Thailand.  I feel I've just found a better and stress-free way to live life.  I'm sure it's already added years to my lifespan.  

yes!!! spot-on!!!

as for me,

-i set out immediately to absorb as much of the Thai culture as well as learn to read, write, and speak the language, which i understand what is said very well, but by my admission i speak Thai about 20% (my Thai friends and neighbors insist my speaking is closer to 50%)

-i seldom if ever eat Western food unless my Thai next door neighbors who own a bakery/cafe cook something for me- but every once in a while, ya gotta have a pizza!!! 

-my Thai nickname derives from my first visit to our island and my usage of chopsticks (before i knew that we only use them for Chinese-style dishes such as noodles, etc)- read my book for details (which my agent insisted i write when i moved here 7 1/2 yrs ago)

-when somebody calls me "farang" my Thai friends/neighbors respond "no, dok mai is Thai!!!"

-i am wai'ed and referred to as "P' dok mai" or "khun dok mai" by EVERY Thai on the island, and elsewhere wherever i travel here

i could continue; but what i will NEVER do is Thai-bash, for EVERY single day, this wondrous and amazing  (and yes, sometimes baffling) place changes and saves my life...

1 hour ago, hanssna said:

After 15 years I feel more like a look khrung..   half Thai style and half Farang.

- After most of the sentences in English, I say  'nah ?'

- I need to eat Mookata (BBQ) at least every week, and eat with chopsticks. And need lots of spicy sauce.

- If someone says something clever, I say ' eeuh' !  (falling tone)

- Never ride 'motorcike'  with a helmet, I just take it out of the seat box when I see police

- When driving car, I take over other cars on the left and the right side

- Showering 2 times a day, with almost cold water

- Don't use expensive shower cream, but just normal soap

- And sure, I hate toilets without bum guns

- When a Thai approaches me on a moto on the wrong way of the road, and almost  hits  me, he smiles and I smile back. I have done the same sometimes...

- I don't get into arguments with Thai guys ( especially not while drinking )

- I like beer Leo and enjoy some peanuts with it in a bar , some dried chilies in them are even better.

- Sang som tastes a lot better then Jack Daniels ( well, to me that is 55 )

- I enjoy some rain and don't curse it like in Europe.

- I also learned to smile a lot more and don't take drunken farang, talking lots of BS, serious at all.

- I use the horn of my car about 800 x less than back in Europe.

- I got a lot more patient with things, except at street food stalls where I never had to wait more than 10 minutes for my food ( and a perfect time to buy and consume a Leo from a local shop ).

- I solve medical problems with the people i know at the local pharmacy instead of seeing a doctor.

- I play Thai music just as often as western music

but...  I still love my western breakfast sometimes.. and pizza once in a while. Will always remain partly western.

well said!!! 

i concur with much of this 

yes!!! spot-on!!!
as for me,
-i set out immediately to absorb as much of the Thai culture as well as learn to read, write, and speak the language, which i understand what is said very well, but by my admission i speak Thai about 20% (my Thai friends and neighbors insist my speaking is closer to 50%)
-i seldom if ever eat Western food unless my Thai next door neighbors who own a bakery/cafe cook something for me- but every once in a while, ya gotta have a pizza!!! 
-my Thai nickname derives from my first visit to our island and my usage of chopsticks (before i knew that we only use them for Chinese-style dishes such as noodles, etc)- read my book for details (which my agent insisted i write when i moved here 7 1/2 yrs ago)
-when somebody calls me "farang" my Thai friends/neighbors respond "no, dok mai is Thai!!!"
-i am wai'ed and referred to as "P' dok mai" or "khun dok mai" by EVERY Thai on the island, and elsewhere wherever i travel here

i could continue; but what i will NEVER do is Thai-bash, for EVERY single day, this wondrous and amazing  (and yes, sometimes baffling) place changes and saves my life...

What's your book called?

On 2/15/2017 at 4:58 PM, grollies said:

@Wilsonandson asked me to start a topic after he placed "what's your worst day?" and I called him a miserable git.

Anyway, it could all be positive.

Like the UK could start allowing a left turn at a red traffic lights.

Your last sentence, I have been saying that ever since I came back from America as a young man, the UK has absolutely no reason to not allow this.