The case of a taxi driver who refused a passenger in Bangkok is all over the Thai news

webfact

As I see it the taxi driver can refuse to take anyone but has to expect being reported to the authorities who may later take away his license

It shouldn't be relevant who the passenger was but as an old friend of mine told me many years ago it is who you know NOT what you know and here in Thailand this is certainly true

14 hours ago, sandemara said:

What are the odds the "cops" were fakes? I'd love to hear the taxi-driver's explanations for the whole incident when police catch up with him.

"when police catch up with him."

your optimism is commendable......

16 hours ago, thai3 said:

Plenty more breaking the law, far too many of them in fact. The more people complain and, 11900 have in the past 4 months the more likely things are to get better. The dumb mai pen rai attitude just perpetuates crap service, or rather no service

Has nothing to do with "mai pen rai".

I was living at Sathupradit Road in the early '90ies and during rush hours no taxi or tuk-tuk driver would take a passenger far out of the vicinity of this road, I got bumped countless times so started walking and found always some taxi somewhere.

Also a taxi driver who is ending his shift will not take any passengers because he has to deliver the taxi back to the rental for the next driver.

If he delivers too late he will be charged for the next 12 hrs rent, comprende?

Have a taxi driver in the family.

16 hours ago, JayBird said:

I might be wrong, but I believe the prosecutor must identify himself as a public prosecutor when asked by the police.  I know in some countries they are supposed to identify themselves clearly.  So he may not have done it to get special treatment, but rather, to stay on the right side of the law.

"more to the point if that passenger was not a high profile public prosecutor and just an ordinary member of the public, what would have happened to him?" The attorney could have legally identified himself with a Thai driver's license and national ID card in response to "who are you?" Instead he chose the hi-so road.

17 hours ago, Sphere said:

That's actually the human rights lawyer...and those are good luck charms....he needs all the supernatural help he can get.

When your lawyer comes in dressed in good luck bling talking about the spirits helping out.... its time to do a runner :D

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

"more to the point if that passenger was not a high profile public prosecutor and just an ordinary member of the public, what would have happened to him?" The attorney could have legally identified himself with a Thai driver's license and national ID card in response to "who are you?" Instead he chose the hi-so road.

If you read the article he made the point about ordinary citizens himself so get off your hi-so horse.

Edited by Psimbo

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The policeman could also have identified himself by wearing a namebadge or at least a number. Instead they like to hide their faces behind mouthmasks and sunglasses which makes them look like real bankrobbers.

On 2/17/2017 at 7:52 AM, bandito said:

Also a taxi driver who is ending his shift will not take any passengers because he has to deliver the taxi back to the rental for the next driver.

If he delivers too late he will be charged for the next 12 hrs rent, comprende?

Then he should turn off his "free/ว่าง" sign.

I have adopted a rule when in Sukhumvit area especially, always day times ( much worse evening times on my own out from dinner ), often with my two young kids looking for a taxi ride if the taxi slows down opening his window asking for i walk away ignoring him....99% of the times if I answer him he will refuse to take me to the destination. It happens at least 3 times each sunday.

The taxis working ethics vary between young cow boys, part times farmers taxis drivers and second careers the best drivers.

I notice an improvement in general since PM Prayuth is in charge making every one working harder under regulations.

Still I am resisting driving any cars myself in Bangkok all much too stressful and not different from day Paris city.