Man Utd,s Best Ever Players

marshbags

Taken from today,s Independent.

Home > Sport > Football > News

Charlton tops poll to find United's best-ever player

By Sam Wallace, Football Correspondent

Published: 12 December 2006

Quote:-

In the end, it comes down to what you believe the soul of Manchester United represents: the fleeting genius or the great, consistent goalscorer and record-breaker for club and country: George Best against Sir Bobby Charlton. And in the last 13 years United have come to represent more of what Charlton stood for than the more ephemeral talents of Best.

It will also have helped the publishers of the Manchester United Opus (Kraken Opus, 850 pages, £3,000-£4,250) that Sir Bobby finished top of the poll of contributing journalists, given that they have put him at the head of their marketing drive. He has become the club's statesman, although it still seems cynical of Old Trafford's powers-that-be that Charlton was sent to face the angry mobs outside the stadium in the aftermath of the Glazer takeover.

Once you have decided on Best or Charlton for the top spot, any list of United players should have Denis Law at No 3. His demotion to No 5 is a travesty, and although comparing a genial Scotsman to a sometimes less than genial Irishman is problematic, there is no way the King of the Stretford End should figure beneath Roy Keane.

Another difficulty with comparing players across history is that the contemporary candidates always seem to get a fairer hearing. There will be many of the United hardcore shaking their heads at Rio Ferdinand's inclusion, even at No 48, and asking questions like: where's Billy Meredith? Even though anyone still living who saw Meredith play is probably not adequately compos mentis to remember the occasion.

Meredith died aged 83 in 1958, and although he is equally well-remembered at Manchester City for his time there, he won United's first two League titles, in 1908 and 1911. He was a staunch union man who stood up to the Football Association.

Bill Foulkes beneath Wayne Rooney? The old defender worked down a coal mine, survived the Munich air disaster and scored the semi-final goal against Real Madrid that put United into the 1968 European Cup final. It is not Rooney's fault he has never had to dig coal, but it puts in perspective the problems of comparing players across generations.

Manchester United Opus: Top 50 Players of All Time: 1 Sir Bobby Charlton, 2 George Best, 3 Roy Keane, 4 Duncan Edwards, 5 Denis Law, 6 Bryan Robson, 7 Eric Cantona, 8 Peter Schmeichel, 9 Ryan Giggs, 10 Paul Scholes, 11 Wayne Rooney, 12 Bill Foulkes, 13 Roger Byrne, 14 David Beckham, 15 Ruud Van Nistelrooy, 16 Nobby Stiles, 17 Dennis Viollet, 18 Gary Neville, 19 Mark Hughes, 20 Denis Irwin, 21 Pat Crerand, 22 Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, 23 Tommy Taylor, 24 Steve Bruce, 25 Liam Whelan, 26 Martin Buchan, 27 Brian Kidd, 28 Steve Coppell, 29 Norman Whiteside, 30 Alex Stepney, 31 Eddie Coleman, 32 Brian McClair, 33 Gary Pallister, 34 Tony Dunne, 35 Lou Macari, 36 Paul McGrath, 37 Paul Ince, 38 Arthur Albiston, 39 Cristiano Ronaldo, 40 Jimmy Delaney, 41 Andy Cole, 42 Dwight Yorke, 43 Sammy McIlroy, 44 Shay Brennan, 45 Jaap Stam, 46 Kevin Moran, 47 Harry Gregg, 48 Rio Ferdinand, 49 Johnny Berry, 50 Teddy Sheringham.

Unquote.

I hope i will be forgiven for putting this article inthe main footballing forum as many of us are admirers of many of the players on the list, indeed many are still in the game in many different aspects.

I personally can relate to many on the list and i hope it is a positive addition all fellow supporters on Thai Visa

marshbags :o:D:D

thanks for that marshbags. very positve and i must add a few i am very suprised have made the list and ones who have missed out, i think it is also too soon to add rooney to the list.

Some of those would not make my list but every one's list will be different. My top five would be:-

1) Charlton

2) Law

3) Best

4) Edwards

5) Taylor

Who are in your top five?

Just a hypothetical question - how many of the modern stars would perform well and for a full 90 minutes on a cold and rainy November night using 1950s kit complete with boots and the old leather 'casey' ball? Every time that I headed one, I would get the laces on my forehead.

Well im not a manutd fan but my bro is and hes been talking about this.

Id place Edwards higher,but then again he's a local legend where i'm from.So you could say im being biased :o

I think the top 5 is alright,accept Robson,Giggs and Schmeichel should be higher than Law.

AS a football fan i would have placed Jaap Stam further up the list when taking into account his authority, influence and control on the park when playing.

This for me is also one of Fergies few mistakes when letting him go instead of finding a way to resolve the situation which after all was about comment rather than lack of ability.

I also think if Fergie would admit to regretting not finding a way out of it and that he should have kept him on, if he was honest to himself.

The club suffered tremendously for a long period due to his stubborness and inability to reconcile with the player.

In a humble football supporters opinion.

P.S. I

I still take an interest in Jaap Stams career and as we all know, he is still playing well and using his great ability in a positive way.

marshbags :o:D

Taken from today,s Independent.

Home > Sport > Football > News

Charlton tops poll to find United's best-ever player

By Sam Wallace, Football Correspondent

Published: 12 December 2006

Quote:-

In the end, it comes down to what you believe the soul of Manchester United represents: the fleeting genius or the great, consistent goalscorer and record-breaker for club and country: George Best against Sir Bobby Charlton. And in the last 13 years United have come to represent more of what Charlton stood for than the more ephemeral talents of Best.

It will also have helped the publishers of the Manchester United Opus (Kraken Opus, 850 pages, £3,000-£4,250) that Sir Bobby finished top of the poll of contributing journalists, given that they have put him at the head of their marketing drive. He has become the club's statesman, although it still seems cynical of Old Trafford's powers-that-be that Charlton was sent to face the angry mobs outside the stadium in the aftermath of the Glazer takeover.

Once you have decided on Best or Charlton for the top spot, any list of United players should have Denis Law at No 3. His demotion to No 5 is a travesty, and although comparing a genial Scotsman to a sometimes less than genial Irishman is problematic, there is no way the King of the Stretford End should figure beneath Roy Keane.

Another difficulty with comparing players across history is that the contemporary candidates always seem to get a fairer hearing. There will be many of the United hardcore shaking their heads at Rio Ferdinand's inclusion, even at No 48, and asking questions like: where's Billy Meredith? Even though anyone still living who saw Meredith play is probably not adequately compos mentis to remember the occasion.

Meredith died aged 83 in 1958, and although he is equally well-remembered at Manchester City for his time there, he won United's first two League titles, in 1908 and 1911. He was a staunch union man who stood up to the Football Association.

Bill Foulkes beneath Wayne Rooney? The old defender worked down a coal mine, survived the Munich air disaster and scored the semi-final goal against Real Madrid that put United into the 1968 European Cup final. It is not Rooney's fault he has never had to dig coal, but it puts in perspective the problems of comparing players across generations.

Manchester United Opus: Top 50 Players of All Time: 1 Sir Bobby Charlton, 2 George Best, 3 Roy Keane, 4 Duncan Edwards, 5 Denis Law, 6 Bryan Robson, 7 Eric Cantona, 8 Peter Schmeichel, 9 Ryan Giggs, 10 Paul Scholes, 11 Wayne Rooney, 12 Bill Foulkes, 13 Roger Byrne, 14 David Beckham, 15 Ruud Van Nistelrooy, 16 Nobby Stiles, 17 Dennis Viollet, 18 Gary Neville, 19 Mark Hughes, 20 Denis Irwin, 21 Pat Crerand, 22 Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, 23 Tommy Taylor, 24 Steve Bruce, 25 Liam Whelan, 26 Martin Buchan, 27 Brian Kidd, 28 Steve Coppell, 29 Norman Whiteside, 30 Alex Stepney, 31 Eddie Coleman, 32 Brian McClair, 33 Gary Pallister, 34 Tony Dunne, 35 Lou Macari, 36 Paul McGrath, 37 Paul Ince, 38 Arthur Albiston, 39 Cristiano Ronaldo, 40 Jimmy Delaney, 41 Andy Cole, 42 Dwight Yorke, 43 Sammy McIlroy, 44 Shay Brennan, 45 Jaap Stam, 46 Kevin Moran, 47 Harry Gregg, 48 Rio Ferdinand, 49 Johnny Berry, 50 Teddy Sheringham.

Unquote.

I hope i will be forgiven for putting this article inthe main footballing forum as many of us are admirers of many of the players on the list, indeed many are still in the game in many different aspects.

I personally can relate to many on the list and i hope it is a positive addition all fellow supporters on Thai Visa

marshbags :o:D:D

You can't have Teddy as he plays for us and Rio is a West Ham supporter who is just playing for the money : ) and wasn't Johnny Berry an obscure rock n roller? Surprised Pancho Pearson, Gordon Hill and Joe Jordan didn't make the cut. Why is Arthur Albiston and Brian McClair in there. Good Luck for the title though

You can't have Teddy as he plays for us and Rio is a West Ham supporter who is just playing for the money : ) and wasn't Johnny Berry an obscure rock n roller? Surprised Pancho Pearson, Gordon Hill and Joe Jordan didn't make the cut. Why is Arthur Albiston and Brian McClair in there.

I loved your tongue in cheek reply, until you said this :o

Good Luck for the title though

You can't have Teddy as he plays for us and Rio is a West Ham supporter who is just playing for the money : ) and wasn't Johnny Berry an obscure rock n roller? Surprised Pancho Pearson, Gordon Hill and Joe Jordan didn't make the cut. Why is Arthur Albiston and Brian McClair in there.

It's a sad world we live in with only 2 candidates for the league but what would you prefer Chelski, Peter kenyon and all doing it for a third time? Mind you to see old purple nose looking pissed off as another trophyless season passes by, has got it's attractions, I must admit.

It's a sad world we live in with only 2 candidates for the league but what would you prefer Chelski, Peter kenyon and all doing it for a third time? Mind you to see old purple nose looking pissed off as another trophyless season passes by, has got it's attractions, I must admit.

Who do you support Keddy.?, obviously not iccle biddy ciddy like bitterjoemangles.....!!!!! :D :D :D

redrus

Holds hand outstreched as if waving to a far off friend somwhere in the crowd, and sings along with several other thousand visiting fans. All together now...

"Let's all do the Barthez, Let's all do the Bartez. la la la, la,la la."

Yep, Barthez for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clh5FyOxAj4

:o

Edited by Happy Hammer

obviously not iccle biddy ciddy like bitterjoemangles.....!!!!! :D :D :D

What do you mean "iccle ciddy" red, don't you realise we are a "MASSIVE" club :D

As for an answer to keddy, yes of course i want Chelski to win the title. I can't think of a single reason why i would want the scum to win it :o:bah:

obviously not iccle biddy ciddy like bitterjoemangles.....!!!!! :D :D :D

What do you mean "iccle ciddy" red, don't you realise we are a (3 gold stars above your new club badge, cos ciddy are a ) "MASSIVE" club :bah:

As for an answer to keddy, yes of course i want Chelski to win the title. I can't think of a single reason why i would want the scum to win it :o:bah:

Soz Boj, couldn't help it....

Huh, Leeds are in The Championship....!? :D:o

redrus