Video: Taxi driver pulls knife on family for closing the boot too hard

webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all it takes to make a Thai taxi driver go berserk?  Wow.

And a 1000 THB fine for assault with a deadly weapon.  No wonder they go berserk at  the slam of a boot the drop of a hat.  There are no consequences.

Edited by connda

Maybe he did not get the daily dose of Ya Ba in time and was highly agitated.

The passenger did not slam the trunk closed....not at all.

Just another angry taxi driver with attitude while there are plenty of them out and about.

What to do...what to do??

Pathetic level of fine. He should be jailed, pay a far bigger fine and be banned from driving a taxi for 5 years. The taxi operator should also have their license revoked. Most taxi drivers in LOS carry a weapon. Guns, knives and iron bars are the most favoured. Let the driver close the boot, be polite and give them a decent fare. I take BKK taxis on a regular basis. I always give more than the meter in town and more if going to Suvarnabhumi or Rangsit etc. Taxi fares are cheap in BKK by the meter. However, around Nana or Central World a taxi driver will often demand a fixed price or refuse to take you. No problem just wait for the next taxi. 

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

This is exactly why I don't use taxis in Bangkok. I used them a couple of times a week for about 3 years and narrowly avoided fights with these guys for...

Politely asking them to turn down their 200db crackly radio so I can hear other passengers speak.

Asking him to go the correct way to the destination (not try and get on the highway for a 1 kilometre trip).

Politely asking for AC to be used when it's 38 outside.

Asking them to pause the meter as they wait in a long queue to fill up LPG with me in the car as a passenger.

Asking them to slow down a bit (the guy was doing 120 down Sathorn with my young nieces in the car - no seat belts available).

Asking for a meter to be used after being quoted 800 Baht from Sathorn to the airport.

I don't use them any more except in emergencies - I just can't be bothered with them.

OH you forgot ..... shouting "please wake up  and stop falling asleep at the wheel "as 

happened to me from Downtown Bangkok to Lak  Krabang in rush hour on motorway ,made the excuse to get him to pull over, looking at a text on my phone ,made out Message from my wife had rearranged a meeting at closer destination ,So not to annoy him and pull over an get the Yuck out of there!

So no loss of face induced ,Happy days

Smooth it over in LOS,

better to take the Airport Link now in my experience ,for long journeys.

But must of been scarey for the Thai family involved .

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

politeness training and a small fine for doing all that... jeez

Operating a taxi without a licence, pulling out a knife and threatening someone !!

C'mon Thailand get your act together

That taxi driver need to head his head examined and should never be allowed to drive a taxi again or any other other work involved with tourist....   

On 2/17/2017 at 0:27 PM, Prbkk said:

I used to believe that psycho cab drivers were just a tiny fraction of the total. Over the years I changed my opinion: still a minority but ever more visible. Maybe social media /CCTV makes it easier to spot them. The owners of the cab companies will do nothing to vet drivers...in their unrelenting pursuit of profit above all else. And the pathetic and pale pink DLT pays little more than lip service to the growing problem.

I have said this before but the long hours that drivers of all types have to do in LOS to make a crust means that they take amphetamines to keep awake.  This sort of behaviour is typical of people using ampheramines such as is known as "Ice," "P" or as it is called "Ya Ba", here.  He might not ordinarily have such a short fuse.  Or perhaps he might.  But this drug kills with violence! 

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

I have said this before but the long hours that drivers of all types have to do in LOS to make a crust means that they take amphetamines to keep awake.  This sort of behaviour is typical of people using ampheramines such as is known as "Ice," "P" or as it is called "Ya Ba", here.  He might not ordinarily have such a short fuse.  Or perhaps he might.  But this drug kills with violence! 

Very true, regular "ya ba" users are dangerous fellows, and if you have never seen what it can do to an otherwise "normal" person, it's pretty hard to understand why someone could react so violently without an apparent reason.

But as other posters have pointed out, using a cab in Thailand has become a hassle for so many other reasons, you don't need to have been threatened to prefer public transport whenever possible. I spend most of my time in Cambodia and Vietnam, but I still learnt how to use the MRT/BTS in Bangkok, just because I got tired of dealing with the cabbies in Bangkok. I guess it's kind of a vicious circle, and they just don't get it: They're probably losing business because of their reputation, and instead of providing a better service, they're trying to milk the remaining customers even more...