Retirement Visa

6 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Getting clearer/muddier....LOL

I was only concerned about the activation date because of the amount of things to do and the timescale to do them in.

I had assumed that even with the first years visa you would have to apply for a re entry stamp but now I am not so sure. Are we saying that the first year visa means you can enter and leave as many times as you want i.e a multiple entry visa?

A OA visa is a multiple entry visa. You get unlimited one year entries for a year from the date it issued.

By doing an entry just before it expires you can get a new one year entry allowing almost 2 years of total  stay from it. You don't need a re-entry permit until after the visa expires to keep the remainder of the last entry valid.

Getting clearer/muddier....LOL

I was only concerned about the activation date because of the amount of things to do and the timescale to do them in.

I had assumed that even with the first years visa you would have to apply for a re entry stamp but now I am not so sure. Are we saying that the first year visa means you can enter and leave as many times as you want i.e a multiple entry visa?

Yes exactly that !!

When the "enter before "date expires you have to start with the re-entry permits.

So, first year is permit free up until " enter before " date.

Second year ( assuming you entered before the "enter before " date to get another year permission to stay stamp) you need permits.

After that, yearly extensions based on retirement, you need permits.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A OA visa is a multiple entry visa. You get unlimited one year entries for a year from the date it issued.

By doing an entry just before it expires you can get a new one year entry allowing almost 2 years of totals stay from it. You don't need a re-entry permit until after the visa expires to keep the remainder of the last entry valid.

Then before that last stamp expires you go to your local Thai Immi office and apply for a one year Extension of Stay, which requires a  new Re-entry permit (single or multiple) if you wish to leave and re-enter the Kingdom within that year.

There are many lists here for the requirements but they are less onerous than your original OA application back home.

Rinse and repeat annually without having to leave the Kingdom.

Edited by Evilbaz

Once you have decided to retire to Thailand just go ahead and do all those things you need to do.

Then apply for your OA Visa a month or so before your departure date.

The last couple I've got (for various reasons) I've exited for Thailand within 48 hours.

Also you only need a one-way ticket if you have an OA Visa.

Edited by Evilbaz

Thanks everyone.

So heres the plan if I have understood everything.

Retire July 2018, but prior to this ensure I have the required funds or proof of income in my UK bank account for at least 2 months prior. Get my medical and police clearance say one month before application. Fill out the form and present myself with the documents to the Thai Embassy in London to obtain the visa. Now the clock ticks and I have one year to enter Thailand.

Fly to Bangkok where I can open a Thai bank account for a nominal sum . At sometime in the next few months deposit 800k or a combination with income to the value of 800k into this account. Go to the immigration dept at my destination, Koh Samui, and apply for my retirement extension presenting proof of my accomodation, bills etc. From that point on I can come and go as I wish so long as I report every 90 days? The visa is renewable every year with the proof of funds.

Edited by Jim P

15 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Thanks everyone.

So heres the plan if I have understood everything.

Retire July 2018, but prior to this ensure I have the required funds or proof of income in my UK bank account for at least 2 months prior. Get my medical and police clearance say one month before application. Fill out the form and present myself with the documents to the Thai Embassy in London to obtain the visa. Now the clock ticks and I have one year to enter Thailand.

Fly to Bangkok where I can open a Thai bank account for a nominal sum . At sometime in the next few months deposit 800k or a combination with income to the value of 800k into this account. Go to the immigration dept at my destination, Koh Samui, and apply for my retirement extension presenting proof of my accomodation, bills etc. From that point on I can come and go as I wish so long as I report every 90 days? The visa is renewable every year with the proof of funds.

From that point you do not have a VISA it is an extension of permission to stay, that is renewable every year.

Have you been listening?

Don't forget coming and going requires a re-entry permit each time single or multi, up to you.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jim P said:

You will not need to apply for an extension at immigration until your last one year entry from the OA is about to end. That could be almost 2 years from the date your visa is issued if you did an entry just before the visa expires to get a new one year entry.

You will need to do 90 day reports  during the entries from the visa if you stay in the country more than 90 days.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

From that point you do not have a VISA it is an extension of permission to stay, that is renewable every year.

Have you been listening?

Don't forget coming and going requires a re-entry permit each time single or multi, up to you.

Ha yes Jock Im hearing you, its quite confusing people using different terms, websites giving different info such as this, below:

Bank Account

The retirement visa is valid for a year and can be renewed by presenting the same requirements during the initial application. Please note that the required amount of funds in your bank account must be at least 3 months old before your can renew your visa.

Anyway I think once Im in Thailand I have plenty of time and will meet people who can spell it out for me. Whether its a piece of paper or a stamp is irrelevant, its still a visa, is it not? I dont really care about the terminology, its the process Im trying to get straight. Good point about the re entry permits, cheers.

Edited by Jim P

16 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Ha yes Jock Im hearing you, its quite confusing people using different terms, websites giving different info such as this, below:

Bank Account

The retirement visa is valid for a year and can be renewed by presenting the same requirements during the initial application. Please note that the required amount of funds in your bank account must be at least 3 months old before your can renew your visa.

Anyway I think once Im in Thailand I have plenty of time and will meet people who can spell it out for me. Whether its a piece of paper or a stamp is irrelevant, its still a visa, is it not? I dont really care about the terminology, its the process Im trying to get straight. Good point about the re entry permits, cheers.

I really am sorry to labour the point but that is the point NO it is not a VISA.

Unfortunately it is often referred to as a retirement VISA even in some immigration 

offices and online info pages, this is why I keep pushing for people to use the correct

terminology because like you have done people get it completely wrong and that can

and has lead to some costly mistakes for some people.

No matter where or when you see it written there is no such thing as a retirement VISA.

Edited by phuketjock
adds

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The medical certificate was a piece of cake, walked in to a local clinic with my Thai gf, paid 360 baht and hey presto, much cheaper and easier than uk.

Was also a piece of cake for me in the UK when I applied for my OA visa in London in 2008. Just presented my GP with the Embassy form, who then proceeded to give me a thorough medical examination consisting of her eyes moving from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet before signing it. Did cost me £10 for the "privilege", though.:sad:

31 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If anyone is still a little unsure here is a sign to point you in the right direction !!

a53f2b1e91f9a48aadd031c16ad7545e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Seriously though, I would strongly advise anyone who might still be confused about the procedures for obtaining an OA visa in London to read the Embassy's guidance on their website at http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section8. This appears to have been recently revised, and you need to scroll down until you encounter the heading 'Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay)'.

One particularly important point to note, in addition to those which have already been made in this thread, is that all OA visa application docs need to be notarised before the Embassy will accept them. Clicking on the Embassy's "Solicitors" link will take you to a law firm based in Covent Garden (Ashtons) who can perform this service for you. Alternatively, you can get a notary public to do the necessary, although they will probably cost considerably more than a solicitor. You can identify a notary public in your neck of the woods in the UK via The Notaries Society's website at https://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Was also a piece of cake for me in the UK when I applied for my OA visa in London in 2008. Just presented my GP with the Embassy form, who then proceeded to give me a thorough medical examination consisting of her eyes moving from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet before signing it. Did cost me £10 for the "privilege", though.:sad:

Seriously though, I would strongly advise anyone who might still be confused about the procedures for obtaining an OA visa in London to read the Embassy's guidance on their website at http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section8. This appears to have been recently revised, and you need to scroll down until you encounter the heading 'Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay)'.

One particularly important point to note, in addition to those which have already been made in this thread, is that all OA visa application docs need to be notarised before the Embassy will accept them. Clicking on the Embassy's "Solicitors" link will take you to a law firm based in Covent Garden (Ashtons) who can perform this service for you. Alternatively, you can get a notary public to do the necessary, although they will probably cost considerably more than a solicitor. You can identify a notary public in your neck of the woods in the UK via The Notaries Society's website at https://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/

I can't help thinking it is much easier to just get a non-imm-O 3 month visa and come with

that then after your money is in the bank for the required 2 months (first time ) apply for

the 1 year retirement extension, no medical or police check required. why make it unnecessarily 

complicated when it is not?

For many people using bank account methods they need lots of time to get their Thai bank account funded. For an OA you don't even need a Thai bank account for almost two years. By then many people decide to not stay in Thailand. Getting money out can be very hard. The OA works better for many. Pros and cons to it.

40 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

I can't help thinking it is much easier to just get a non-imm-O 3 month visa and come with

that then after your money is in the bank for the required 2 months (first time ) apply for

the 1 year retirement extension, no medical or police check required. why make it unnecessarily 

complicated when it is not?

Looking at that idea Jock, on the Thai Embassy website, I wouldn't qualify as my retirement is with a company pension not a state pension and the other criteria dont apply to myself. However for many others you may have a point.

And i wont say Retirement Visa again :-)

To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Looking at that idea Jock, on the Thai Embassy website, I wouldn't qualify as my retirement is with a company pension not a state pension and the other criteria dont apply to myself. However for many others you may have a point.

And i wont say Retirement Visa again :-)

To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

Company pensions are perfectly acceptable too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

That is correct.

Just as a trial, I went the income route once using my company and state pension

combined and I had no problem whatsoever.

I didn't do it again because it is such a pain in the neck getting the letter from the

British embassy. But it is there as an option should it be needed.

Edited by phuketjock
correction.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I assumed that as well.

No, it is only recipients of the UK State Pension who are eligible for non-O visas on the grounds of retirement in London. The table of visa categories under the "Non-Immigrant Visa" heading on the Embassy's website at http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section8, states against Category "O": "To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)".

To be eligible for the UK State Pension you need to be at least 65 years old.

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

No, it is only recipients of the UK State Pension who are eligible for non-O visas on the grounds of retirement in London. The table of visa categories under the "Non-Immigrant Visa" heading on the Embassy's website at http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section8, states against Category "O": "To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)".

To be eligible for the UK State Pension you need to be at least 65 years old.

You didn't scroll down to the OA Visa for long stay for 50 year olds?

If you're staying year on year without working in LOS you could possibly be retired?

AFAIK only the UK offers the O Visa for Pensioners (who don't qualify for an OA Visa on financial grounds).

Doesn't this "Pensioners' Visa" require renewal back in the UK each year?

A State UK Pension alone wouldn't qualify surely for an Extension based on Retirement within Thailand?

Edited by Evilbaz

24 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

You didn't scroll down to the OA Visa for long stay for 50 year olds?

If you're staying year on year without working in LOS you could possibly be retired?

AFAIK only the UK offers the O Visa for Pensioners (who don't qualify for an OA Visa on financial grounds).

Doesn't this "Pensioners' Visa" require renewal back in the UK each year?

A State UK Pension alone wouldn't qualify surely for an Extension based on Retirement within Thailand?

I didn't refer to the OA visa section because the point I was dealing with had been raised by phuketjock in post #43:

"I can't help thinking it is much easier to just get a non-imm-O 3 month visa and come with that then after your money is in the bank for the required 2 months (first time ) apply for the 1 year retirement extension, no medical or police check required. why make it unnecessarily complicated when it is not?"

Had you taken the trouble to read this thread properly, you will have seen that I had already referred to the OA visa section in my post at #42 to which phuketjock's was in response!

In common with other retirees, UK State Pension holders are eligible to apply for annual retirement extensions here as long as they can meet the necessary financial requirements - which will, of course, necessitate other sources of income in their case in practice.