Pattaya beer bar attack: woman denied bail as police say call us if there's trouble with drunk tourists

rooster59

Pattaya beer bar attack: woman denied bail as police say call us if there's trouble with drunk tourists

16649453_1753742814944010_4421722183697263188_n.jpg

Image:  Pattaya News

PATTAYA:-- The woman at the center of the attack on a 63 year of British tourist has spent the night in the cells.

Police in Pattaya denied bail to 43 year old Rungnapha Pleumjai who they said was the owner of the Patsy beer bar in Soi 8 Pattaya Sai 2.

Apichai Kroppetch of Pattaya police said that she would appear in court today, Saturday, charged with assault causing serious bodily harm.

Apichai has cautioned Thais about taking the law into their own hands in disputes with tourists.

Rungnapha was arrested following the attack on David Alan Lodge at 1.30 am on Friday. Mr Lodge suffered a black eye and a cut to his forehead after being attacked with a shoe and punched and kicked. The incident was caught on video and the aftermath was also recorded.

Rungnapha said that the UK man had refused to pay his full bar bill claiming he said that the drinks were more expensive than at a convenience store.

Meanwhile a person who claimed to be the woman in white at the attack who had her dress pulled went on Thaivisa to say that their bill was padded. She hoped the accused "got her just deserts (sic)".

Attempts to verify the identity of the poster were not successful and Mr Lodge did not respond to requests for comments from Thaivisa on his Facebook messenger account.

His Facebook page says that he formerly worked at the Phuket Gazette while it has been claimed that the couple have lived in Hua Hin for some time.

Police spokesman Apichai told Pattaya News that the tourist was drunk already and went to consume more alcohol at the beer bar. After he asked for the bill he claimed it was too expensive and an argument broke out that resulted in the assault.

Apichai added: "If tourists are drunk and disorderly please call police. We will help to sort it out fairly. If the tourist is in the wrong then we will deal with that accordingly".

He cautioned against anyone reacting like the accused in this case saying that people should call the police and not take their anger out on tourists.

"Tourism is very important and we will take these matters seriously and make sure they are sorted out fairly for all concerned. Just don't take the law into your own hands", he added.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-18

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it appears that the police have dealt with this case in a fair manner

maybe the assailant will think twice about taking the law into her own hands

also i think that the victim acted in a wrongful manner  and hopefully he has 

learnt  from his mistake

Now the tactic seemd to be at resoring the face in the eyes of the tourists. Better the tourists think about the bars generally charges more for beer and drinks than a 7/11 shop. Just another maniac.
And yes, it justifies the attack. Enough of these people can even make me irritated just sitting in a bar drinking and hearing them complaining with their galactically stupid reasons.

Looks like a case of bill padding gone wrong, I don't believe the tourist said anything about cheaper beer in a convenience store just made a made up story to justify the attack.

Better to check every chit that is put in your bin, if you find the price is excessive for the first round pay and move on.

I could well believe the tourist said what he said, and I could well believe the bill was padded. If you've ever received a padded bill, you'll know how utterly frustrating it is.

Props to the police. Common sense and logic can prevail. If a tourist is doing wrong, let the police deal with it. There's never an excuse for violence. Good to hear the woman spent a night in the cell and 'maybe' she will learn something from this. A consistent police attitude like this might make people think twice about attacking anyone (not just tourists).

As for any bars who pad their bills, (not saying that is what this lady did) you must be used to irate customers by now. You can't be so deluded into thinking it's your god given right to rip people off. Scary mentality. The only way you can get away with it is if the police let it happen. Amazing what sort of civilized society you can have with a functioning police force and fair court system. 

1 hour ago, nev said:

Looks like a case of bill padding gone wrong, I don't believe the tourist said anything about cheaper beer in a convenience store just made a made up story to justify the attack.

Better to check every chit that is put in your bin, if you find the price is excessive for the first round pay and move on.

i agree.  certain people seem to take whatever the thai police or other thai people say at face value.   this is an error in judgement, at best. 

39 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

i agree.  certain people seem to take whatever the thai police or other thai people say at face value.   this is an error in judgement, at best. 

sure beer is cheaper in the convenience stores and no one is forcing people to go to bars for a beer. it is their choice and if so you must pay the bar prices.

1 hour ago, bsdthai said:

Wow, is this real. Police are starting to do something regardless of the scenario and worth or is this just a one off. Lets hope police start doing there jobs all the time.

"Make Thailand Great Again".... Or something like that...

totally endorse your views. the right way to go.

2 hours ago, nev said:

believe you me this happens. there are many places where the pad bills.

I can speak from experience as I once had a bar inPhuket. I had drunk customers claiming their bar bill was padded and I can say 100% was not. They drink and don't realize how much they actually do drink. Try to tell a drunk on holiday you think they have had enough and they will still insist on more.

I also called the police on someone who did not want to pay and tried to do a runner. I followed him, yep, straight to another bar and tried the same thing. He had no money on him. The BIB turned up and we went to his hotel to get the cash.

So it works sometimes.

well here we are another drunken dispute ! involving a brit in less than 24hrs amazing ! well in this case the person in question in future will learn diplomacy when the bill arrives ! I think something was learnt by both sides in this situation as violently ignorant non business trained personnel trying to run a beer bar without any idea of who pays their wages now perhaps she knows ! taking the law into your own hands is never a good solution in any circumstances it always ends badly !

Well done to the police this time good example for how things are to be handled in the future especially for tourism safety. 

I do think it might be an idea to advertise the price of drinks in each bar visible to the public by law so as to avoid any disputes about the price of beer etc ! who knows it might increase competition between them all will benefit have a nice day and smile it won't hurt you ! 

His Facebook page says that he formerly worked at the Phuket Gazette while it has been claimed that the couple have lived in Hua Hin for some time.

I feel that if this is true it rules out the convenience store argument. Only a 2 day tourist could make that mistake. I'm going with the bill being padded theory.

3 hours ago, nev said:

If I ever drink at a bar I pay each time the slip arrives, done and dusted, had a time when I checked the slip when it went in to the cup, been there, done that, ahhhh excuse me, I have one beer, why is there 2 showing on the slip, oh mistake, next beer no bill, next beer arrives, slip shows 2 more beers, ahh excuse me, again bill shows 2 beers, I have had one beer before, and one now, kep tun krup, oh wait, you drink 2 more beers and we not charge you for them, no thanks, here is your money for 2 beers, by-by, and the next bar I had a lady bar drink added when I never bought a gal a drink, and they wonder why they are losing farang customers.

5 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Good that the police want to help the bars when they have to deal with drunk tourists.

Will they also help the tourists when they have to deal with padded bills and overprizing?

Bill "padding" has been going on since bars began selling beer, its never been solely a Thai phenomenon, I remember (just!) when I was a teen having a bill "padded" in Soho in London, it was pay or go to the hospital, no option of the police getting involved.

25 years ago I used to drink in Patpong on very rare occasions the bill would be padded, a threat to involve the Police would see the bill righted, even back then the Police would take steps against bars that tried to overcharge, so yes - credit where it is due, the police do help tourists with over pricing, always have - somewhat surprisingly!

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

Now the tactic seemd to be at resoring the face in the eyes of the tourists. Better the tourists think about the bars generally charges more for beer and drinks than a 7/11 shop. Just another maniac.
And yes, it justifies the attack. Enough of these people can even make me irritated just sitting in a bar drinking and hearing them complaining with their galactically stupid reasons.

Just another maniac.
And yes, it justifies the attack.

Are you  kidding with this statement.

so you think  violets is ok do you .

if only the RTP could be relied on react and do their job professionally more often, people would have more faith in 'justice and the rule of law' and not feel they had to rely on sorting out incidents by themselves.

amazing what a bit of publicity + the tourist trade can do

notwithstanding all parties in this incident behaved badly

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

and they wonder why they are losing farang customers.

I think customers like that they could do without--I had 7-8 years in Pattaya, honestly really didn't see this Bill padding --but I have been up in the sticks now for over 11 years so--yer things might have changed, No one seems to have gone and looked at the beer price...it was 90 Baht...(according to Coconuts) . for me living in Udon and drinking in Scandi /Oz bars, paying 50--60 baht it seems expensive, but up here Pattaya its not. I have not been in many Beer bars where there isn't a menu on display--because they are catering to many different foreigners and want to put down all the different beers they have ........:coffee1:

1 hour ago, sahibji said:

sure beer is cheaper in the convenience stores and no one is forcing people to go to bars for a beer. it is their choice and if so you must pay the bar prices.

But the facts here are that the price of the beer was readjusted to how drunk the drinker is when the bill is given

Seems she thought he was drunker than he was, and she was loading the pad, as she though he would not see what she was doing

So yes in this case the price of the beer in his pad was many times higher that what a sober person would have been paying

3 hours ago, nev said:

The comment was accurately reported. He did say it!