Pattaya's sex capital image: We can't change it overnight, says tourism chief, but change it we will!

rooster59

6 hours ago, JSixpack said:

It was only in the later 70s and the 80s, after the Americans had left, that the raucous nightlife scene arose for the entertainment of mainly Australians, Germans, and Brits.

Yes, the earliest gogo in Pattaya was Tahitian Queen, opened in 1978 and still running in the original location on Beach Road - so a full three years after the Vietnam War ended. By contrast Bangkok was entertaining the troops in the Klong Toei Docks area from the mid/late sixties. 

• Like 2

Something needs to be done about the large amount of aggressive Africans both male and female in Pattaya. They are either on the game or selling drugs. I work in Bangkok and live in Jomtien and its a big problem in Bangkok on Sukhumvit also. The BIB round them up once in a while but not often enough.

On 19/02/2017 at 10:21 AM, yellowboat said:

Education ?  Foreign investment that does not favor the Thai elite ?  Development that is not Bangkok centric ?

Clean up the beach i.e develop a proper sewage processing network and plant, bring back some of the better seafood   places near and around beach road. Turn Soi 6 into a pedestrian street with gourmet cafes and restaurants, and Louis Vuitton shops. Use soi 7 as a supply artery. I could go on...

Oh forgot, a bit like they used to do in Chicago,catch mongers outside of restricted areas and post their mug shot on the Pataya police web site.

Actually I think I am brilliant, they should set up a clearly delimited RLD, something like a 100 meters perimeter around walking street, and anyone caught mongering outside this perimeter would have the privilege to have his picture displayed to the rest of the world. They could do the same for Nana and Cowboy.

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Jerry780 said:

Something needs to be done about the large amount of aggressive Africans both male and female in Pattaya. They are either on the game or selling drugs. I work in Bangkok and live in Jomtien and its a big problem in Bangkok on Sukhumvit also. The BIB round them up once in a while but not often enough.

4 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Clean up the beach i.e develop a proper sewage processing network and plant, bring back some of the better seafood   places near and around beach road. Turn Soi 6 into a pedestrian street with gourmet cafes and restaurants, and Louis Vuitton shops. Use soi 7 as a supply artery. I could go on...

Oh forgot, a bit like they used to do in Chicago,catch mongers outside of restricted areas and post their mug shot on the Pataya police web site.

Please add to our whinges list:

• Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 12:29 PM, bkk6060 said:

There has been some recent action.  Especially on Soi 6 raids within the past week no upstairs access now in many places. Also, off Soi Buakhao a couple of places raided one where the mamasaan was taken away in handcuffs.

A friend told me there are Falang UC working for the Pattaya police.

I have no doubt that there are, IMO, scum farangs working with Thai cops to stop it. There are scum in every walk of life.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:26 AM, Peterw42 said:

Another thread were 90% of the commentary comes from people outside of Pattaya. Contrary to the "image" portrayed, people, families, couples live normal lives in Pattaya and surrounds. Whatever life you are living elsewhere in Thailand, 1,000s live the same life in Pattaya. 

I consider myself to be your average expat, I live at Jomtien in a pretty normal condo block, Thais, europeans etc, lots of couples, families, babies. 3-4 school buses come every day to take Thai and Russian kids off the school. The biggest selling item in the condo shop is baby formula and nappies.

I have a Thai partner who isn't a bar girl and never was, as do 90 % of my friends. I lead a pretty normal life, eat out, movies, beach, shopping malls, night markets, drinks and nights out with friends. The same as any other location in Thailand. I dont go to walking st, soi 6 etc as that is a part of Pattaya that I have no reason to relate to.

My partner works in a condo management office and most of her work colleagues have western partners, based on our common circumstances, we all meet up for friday night drinks, husbands wifes girlfriends etc. We end up in a beer bar complex, we get great service from a bunch of bargirls, The GFs are even friends with them. These night kick on sometimes and 8-10 of us will visit several bars, watch music, have a dance etc. No sleaze, no prostitution, just a normal fun social night out.

I have pattaya and surrounds at my doorstep, pristine beaches out on the islands and just down the coast in the army areas, 6-8 shopping malls, cinemas, water parks, car racing, tourist and Thai night markets, a great live music scene, a couple of thousand restaurants, coffee shops and bars. All with little to no contact with red light areas, prostitution, bar girls etc.

90% of the "image" of pattaya is exactly that, an image. Perpetuated by people who dont live here, or even live in Thailand.

" I went there once in 1993, and only went to the red light areas, I know all about it."

I get it, you and all your friends married non BG Thai girls and never have anything to do with P4P.

I have no problem with that whatsoever, but it's meaningless in the greater context.

People can do whatever they like in LOS, which is the great attraction of the place, but running around claiming, apparently, to be better than other people because your wife never slept with men for money is rather twee, IMO.

:saai:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I get it, you and all your friends married non BG Thai girls and never have anything to do with P4P.

I have no problem with that whatsoever, but it's meaningless in the greater context.

People can do whatever they like in LOS, which is the great attraction of the place, but running around claiming, apparently, to be better than other people because your wife never slept with men for money is rather twee, IMO.

:saai:

Twee and naive.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No, he didn't say ALL his friends. This exaggeration destroys the rest of your claims.

Nor did he say he's better than anyone--and not because of any particular reason, the opposite in fact: consider myself to be your average expat.  It IS a fact than many, if most expats, don't have wives who have been prostitutes or bar girls. And are happy w/ said wives. Just gon' have suck that up, pal. Sorry about your case.

As I see it he simply emphasized the point that one can live a relatively "normal" conservative life in Pattaya if one so chooses. And that IS meaningful in the larger context of the critical questions of "Is Pattaya only for traditional mongers? Can Pattaya have any appeal to families? Is there a "normal" life in Pattaya outside of the P4P scene? Can one meet and have a "nice" Thai gf or wife in Pattaya?" Answer: yes; for example, me.

Such questions are often asked here, with our old farts stuck in 1994 still claiming that Pattaya is only about mongers and the economy collapsing without their Big Spending. :biggrin: The reality is quite different, as Peterw42 was saying. That's a point that bears repeating often here in the echo chamber.

You are right about the relationships, but I could never have a family here.

Nothing about the place, just me there is way too much temptation no way I could keep it in my pants.   

The setting of Chiang Mai probably would be much safer for me.  Enough to do, but not a sexy girl on every corner.

I sure like it here now and have no plans to get hitched up anyway, so I guess a moot point.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

You are right about the relationships, but I could never have a family here.

Nothing about the place, just me there is way too much temptation no way I could keep it in my pants.   

The setting of Chiang Mai probably would be much safer for me.  Enough to do, but not a sexy girl on every corner.

I sure like it here now and have no plans to get hitched up anyway, so I guess a moot point.

One of the hazards of reading our beloved forum is the tendency to fall into simplistic absolutist (as in the post I addressed: ALL) or binary either/or thinking along with so many posters. Very Western, except polyamory is now becoming a thing. :wink:

In fact Pattaya encourages the opposite: both/and. So you gotta listen to Mama Pattaya: go analog and have it all, man. Many do, one way or the other.

So for example--just one example I'm familiar with--you find the "nice" gf and gradually introduce her to the wonderfulness of the threesome. Screen candidates by taking them out the go-gos and studying their reaction to those bodies on stage. Might take about year of talking, overcoming the jealousy, before she's ready to try. Things can develop in various positive and very satisfying ways from there . . . .:biggrin:

Edited by JSixpack
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...

It would surely be a welcomed change.

There is high potential for a great tourist draw there if properly managed, although it will be a Herculean task.

What it needs is a total demolition from Third Road to Beach Road with a well managed rebuild and remodeling from the underground utilities up.

2 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

It would surely be a welcomed change.

There is high potential for a great tourist draw there if properly managed, although it will be a Herculean task.

What it needs is a total demolition from Third Road to Beach Road with a well managed rebuild and remodeling from the underground utilities up.

Another realistic plan for Pats.

1 hour ago, Sealbash said:

Agree. Now, how much should be paid and where does this money come from?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You can start with the cheap Charlie Starbucks, McDonald's, KFC, etc. that are charging as much if not more here for their crap, yet paying about $1 an hour.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

What, including the 2 new shopping Malls, the Holiday Inn and the Hilton? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You can start with the cheap Charlie Starbucks, McDonald's, KFC, etc. that are charging as much if not more here for their crap, yet paying about $1 an hour.

These employ a tiny amount of people in the big scheme of things.

Pattaya has damaged the image of expats living here not Thais themselves.Thailand's never had a reputation for anything other than drugs and bar prostitution.

They should have shutdown the grubby bar/sex scene in Pattaya 10 years ago when the place began attracting foreign criminals.

Too late now to change anything.

No beach unless you like swimming in toxic waste and sewage.

13 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

Pattaya has damaged the image of expats living here not Thais themselves.Thailand's never had a reputation for anything other than drugs and bar prostitution.

They should have shutdown the grubby bar/sex scene in Pattaya 10 years ago when the place began attracting foreign criminals.

Too late now to change anything.

No beach unless you like swimming in toxic waste and sewage.

My observation is expats have damaged the reputation of the place and themselves.

No one else to blame from the time I have lived here.

So, this ex-pat dies in Pattaya and when he gets to the pearly gates St Peter tells him he has penance to do before going through.

St Peter hands him a spoon and tells him go and empty Loch Ness.

After a few weeks he appears back at the gates and says this is going to take forever to do.

St Peter says ok, go back to Pattaya and clean up the sleazy side of it.

He thinks for a bit and replies OK give me back that spoon.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2017 at 8:02 AM, NCC1701A said:

I take the bus to Pattaya from Hua Hin and a motorbike taxi from the bus station to Soi Six and check into my hotel. I never leave Soi Six.

I was just wondering, what is the rest of Pattaya like?

same as soi sex do a google search to find many more places.....some could be better than 6 get around more!!!! Go darkside and enlighten yourself !!!      SIMPLE

On 2/19/2017 at 10:57 AM, spidermike007 said:

If you are into water sports, there are alot of options.

For someone who is sometimes borderline pedantic you display a great sense of humour..

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lucius verus said:

Pattaya has damaged the image of expats living here not Thais themselves.

IKR, years ago we had a proper image of perverts, now it's a bloody family resort and we're just regular Joneses. What a letdown.

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

same as soi sex do a google search to find many more places.....some could be better than 6 get around more!!!! Go darkside and enlighten yourself !!!      SIMPLE

There are other good areas sure.

But seriously after all my travels, 6 maybe the greatest street of concentration and bang for the buck venue in the world.

There may be others in the world, but I have not found them.