North’s seasonal haze problem back despite ban on burning

rooster59

North’s seasonal haze problem back despite ban on burning

By NATTAWAT LAPING,
SAICHON NUDAENG
THE SUNDAY NATION

dfc926899b63c2be2bec9b07421d4bc5-sld.jpeg

NORTHERN RESIDENTS are being affected by haze after farmers burned fields prior to the burning ban being enforced on Friday.

In Chiang Rai province, the smog has been building up, although the amount of small particulate matter of up to 10 microns in diameter (PM10) was not still beyond the safe limit of below 120 microgram per one cubic metre.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30306681

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-19

"NORTHERN RESIDENTS are being affected by haze after farmers burned fields prior to the burning ban being enforced on Friday... ask them not to burn...   "

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there will be burning before and after a ban, and during the ban, when they are only "asked" not to burn. Why not make it a permanent ban and enforce it with heavy fines and jail time? People, especially children's health and sometimes their lives are at stake here. I'm sure that better ways to deal with the brush and corn stalks can be implemented.

Don't tell me about needing to burn for the mushrooms. I don't know of anyone who will die if they don't eat their mushrooms.  Mushrooms are a seasonal product, and the slight loss from this commodity can be made up with an alternative crop. Besides, the cost of healthcare to treat respiratory diseases, in the short and long term. resulting from the burning, outpaces whatever benefits are reaped from the burning.

Edited by jaltsc

41 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"NORTHERN RESIDENTS are being affected by haze after farmers burned fields prior to the burning ban being enforced on Friday... ask them not to burn...   "

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there will be burning before and after a ban, and during the ban, when they are only "asked" not to burn. Why not make it a permanent ban and enforce it with heavy fines and jail time? People, especially children's health and sometimes their lives are at stake here. I'm sure that better ways to deal with the brush and corn stalks can be implemented.

Don't tell me about needing to burn for the mushrooms. I don't know of anyone who will die if they don't eat their mushrooms.  Mushrooms are a seasonal product, and the slight loss from this commodity can be made up with an alternative crop. Besides, the cost of healthcare to treat respiratory diseases, in the short and long term. resulting from the burning, outpaces whatever benefits are reaped from the burning.

Good idea but go after the owner of the land,not the poor guy doing as he is told.

6 hours ago, newcomer71 said:

Despite the ban?
But if no one checks or enforces the law how do they expect the ban to work?

Simply put they don't. If this and many other things here were brought up to standard/snuff and things were run with maintenance and caution and safety as in the west western prices would have to prevail and there goes everything down the crapper. There would be no cream on top for the BIB to skim off either another blow to the economy. Limping along is the only answer. Retain the status quo. 

2 hours ago, longtom said:

Hmm, 3000 Baht reward for denouncing any burner. Think I have to go up there from Samui to make some money because of the weak 'high season' here. emoji41.png

Then, when the land owner or farmer finds out from the police who ratted him out, remember, life here is cheap, and that includes yours...!

From what I have observed during my 12 year stay in Northern Thailand it is not the farmers burning rice stubble that is the main problem. In fact the stubble seems to be ploughed back into the ground after each crop.

The problem is caused by the people who manage the vast Teak plantations who burn the leaves each year. This is done in the evenings and night time. From where I live in Chiang Mai I can see long lines of fire across many kilometres of mountainside.

Find out who owns the Teak and start from there. It will never change.

I feel for anyone that has to breath in smoke, I was putting up with this awful smoke smell coming from up the road, two guys were burning some kind of timber to make charcoal, it would irritate me, my sinuses, my throat and make me kind of snappy/agro as I couldn't breath, my kids and wife had to also endure it and my mood swing, day in, day out, couldn't leave the doors and windows open in fear of the smell coming in.

Purchased one of the best air purifiers on the market, the IQ Health Pro 250 Plus, just over 60,000 baht, helped enormously, but one day the smoke was so thick in the evening, I said to the Mrs you have to talk to the neighbours and gain their support to have these guys moved as I am sure that smoke is toxic, that or I will look for someone to take them out (period), it was at that point, believe you me.

She got the neighbours behind her and she went to the Mayor, she returned and said one of the guys is related to the Mayor, I said, "great" just what we need, she then smiled and said, don't worry, he said that he also heard on the grape vine that others didn't like it, but no on approached him, so he didn't do anything, and said he will tell them to move or he will go to the council, you can imagine my thoughts on this, "yer right, pull the other one" she said, I will give him a week, and if he doesn't stop them, I told him I would go to the council, I said boo for you, love a chick with balls, so to speak, "when pushed".

The Mayor is a man of his word, he turned up the next day, told them they had to move, too many people complaining, this is a residential area, they moved, no bad blood, their wives even thanked my Mrs for speaking up, as they had been telling their husbands the same to no avail.

You can imagine what its like now living with doors and windows open, and no fear of that smelly smoke coming in, as for the IQ air purifier, still use it, produces fresher air than the outside of our bedroom.  

Edited by 4MyEgo

31 minutes ago, johnklinrak said:

From what I have observed during my 12 year stay in Northern Thailand it is not the farmers burning rice stubble that is the main problem. In fact the stubble seems to be ploughed back into the ground after each crop.

The problem is caused by the people who manage the vast Teak plantations who burn the leaves each year. This is done in the evenings and night time. From where I live in Chiang Mai I can see long lines of fire across many kilometres of mountainside.

Find out who owns the Teak and start from there. It will never change.

Its just as much the rice burning as the teak leaves I know I used to live slap bang in a rice farming province.

It is not only in Chiang Mai, We are 30km south of Uttaradit and looking over the balcony now it is all around us and that includes the smell. This is in the middle of a rice and sugar growing area with the sugar being the main culprit at the moment.

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

Just left the lovely Village of Ban Ruk Thai, in far North West and as soon as night fall arrived, so the fires started.  Driving all the way down there was smoke haze everywhere.  Thank goodness I don't live in the area, because if I did, I wouldn't, if you know what I mean.

There is a ban on burning now?

Tell that to the people in my village... farmers burning stuff every day, homeowners sweeping up leaved into piles and burning them every day... (they love sweeping up dead leaves so much), and then people burning plastic and none recyclable rubbish out in the forest.  Even the monks at the next door temple wake me up with a noisy leaf blower machine session for 1 hour each morning at 6 am, then burn them in the afternoon, together with the trees they are always hacking down.

17 hours ago, jippytum said:

Thankfully Air quality in CM OK 

Actually, the AQI at City Hall has been over 100 and close to 150 for the past week.

Since last Friday, the monitor has conveniently stopped (last reading 119).

I suspect traffic pollution contributes at least as much as the fires.