How to describe each other

Gonefortea

I read Thai Visa quite a lot nowadays only just joined (see introduction in new members thread.

Over the years I have noticed with some distane  I may add, expat/foreigns/holiday makers using this media have started to use the word Falang in all its various guises and spellings. You know like us Falang or met a falang last night. 

Why Thais have a reason for the word it means western forigner for all intents and purposes. We that are westerners and forigners to Thailand have no need to use the word to describe other westerners, can we just not say as I'm sure you did in your mother countries,  I met a guy/Lady  last night  from UK/USA ect ect. Instead of I met another Falang (another form of spelling the word) from UK last night.

The word itself means no disrespect from Thai's but I must admit to feeling a little disrespected when called it by another western person. 

Edited by Gonefortea

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

I may add, expat/foreigns/holiday makers using this media have started to use the word Falang in all its various guises and spellings

Maybe they're just bad/lazy at spelling.

I'll use it myself from time to time....Have also heard it among farang groups referring to a person being discussed.....

Quite often driving when I see one driving/riding badly....Usually I'll say "stupid farang", while thinking to myself, you stupid as*h*l*.. ....

....Swearing is not well accepted in the family......

2 hours ago, Gonefortea said:

The word itself means no disrespect from Thai's but I must admit to feeling a little disrespected when called it by another western person. 

If the word is not disrespectful, why would one feel disrespected?

There are plenty of disrespectful words which Westerners can (and do) use to describe other Westerners of a different nationality - I won't name any of them. Why object when they choose a word that is fairly innocuous?

Edited by chickenslegs

52 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

If the word is not disrespectful, why would one feel disrespected?

There are plenty of disrespectful words which Westerners can (and do) use to describe other Westerners of a different nationality - I won't name any of them. Why object when they choose a word that is fairly innocuous?

I did state in my origional post I feel slightly disrespected when another forigner calls me a Falang. If Thais call it me I have no truck with it. Personaly I would never address a fellow forigner as a falang. What others call each other has no real bearing on my post as it specifically relates to a Thai word.

8 minutes ago, jerojero said:

It's a Thai term. So when in Rome....

Well maybe if your conversing Purley in Thai with another Thai speaker then ok it can be appropriate. But when I hear it it's English to English and suddenly it's dropped in, which is not really appropriate. There are enough words in the English language to use between English speakers without resorting to Falang in the middle of a sentence. 

23 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

I did state in my origional post I feel slightly disrespected when another forigner calls me a Falang. If Thais call it me I have no truck with it. Personaly I would never address a fellow forigner as a falang. What others call each other has no real bearing on my post as it specifically relates to a Thai word.

The word is respectful or it is not - opinions vary.

I can't see how you can argue that it is respectful when said by a Thai but (slightly) disrespectful when said by a Farang (unless accompanied by an insulting adjective).

There are enough words in the English language to use between English speakers without resorting to Falang in the middle of a sentence. 

What single English word could replace "farang"?

Serious question, I can't think of one.

28 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I can't see how you can argue that it is respectful when said by a Thai but (slightly) disrespectful when said by a Farang (unless accompanied by an insulting adjective).

How about addressing people for what they are here foreigners. I would say in a conversation I met another foreign  guy or as I had met him and talked to him I would know where he came from. So I met a guy from Germany last night.

Yes I agree it is totally subjective there are words which I suspect get on some people's nerves and not other people. Another one I could throw into the mix is  Dude I see absolutely no merit in it whatsoever. Seems to be a word to make one feel as though they are somehow cool. However my OP is my word used by non Thai.

I fully agree it's my thoughts and I totally respect others opinions on it.

Edited by Gonefortea

37 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

If you know the nationality of the person you are talking about it's easy...

Kraut

Frog

Yank

Eytye

Gent ( for English obviously, otherwise Jock, Paddy, Taffy)

etc, etc.

43 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

'Westerner' usually suffices in most contexts.

8 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

How about addressing people for what they are here foreigners. I would say in a conversation I met another friend guy or as I had met him and talked to him I would know where he came from. So I met a guy from Germany last night.

Foreigner is a bit broad = anyone who is not Thai.

Of course, if you met someone, and were able to establish their nationality, it would make sense to describe them as such.

However, I think the term Farang can be useful when describing someone whose nationality is not known. Most Thai people seem to find it useful anyway.

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

I agree - in most contexts.

Not sure if white Africans, Aussies, Kiwis agree - maybe they do.

I think the term farang refers to any white person of European origin so Americans, Australians, New Zealanders, etc all fit the definition.

10 minutes ago, redwinecheese said:

Farang is term used to call upon European invasions but the term crusaders has been wrongly used instead.

and has the OP been in any other forums on this site?

TVF has a 'Farang Pub' section. They (TVF) don't seem to have a problem calling us farangs.

31 minutes ago, redwinecheese said:

Farang is term used to call upon European invasions but the term crusaders has been wrongly used instead, originated from France which stopped Muslim expansion in Europe.

Clear as mud. I've never heard of a European being referred to as a 'crusader' by a Thai.

20 minutes ago, grollies said:

I've never heard of a European being referred to as a 'crusader' by a Thai.

I would love to hear a Thai pronounce the word "crusader" because as far as I know not all Thais can say the letter R easily if it is not pronounced separately.

Edited by redwinecheese
clarification

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Foreigner is a bit broad = anyone who is not Thai.

Of course, if you met someone, and were able to establish their nationality, it would make sense to describe them as such.

However, I think the term Farang can be useful when describing someone whose nationality is not known. Most Thai people seem to find it useful anyway.

Yes which is the very point I make Thais use it as it's there language.

14 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

This old chestnut pops up now and then. I couldn't care less in ascertaining if some dude was from the US or UK. It is easier and succinct. As above, when in Rome. Spend more time here and you'll get over it.

Lol you don't like to read posts and follow up then