How to describe each other

Gonefortea

1) "Yesterday I saw a farang"
2) "Yesterday I saw a person who came from a Western Culture background."
out of pure laziness I use option 1). No disrespect intended.

Exactly. Farang is the correct word and is easily understood. Seems unnecessarily sensitive to see it as a sign of disrespect.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I prefer saying' farang' to specify that it was not a Thai person I was talking to.

Living in Thailand you meet many Thais, and you meet many foreigners. It's two different cultures, two different thinking systems, so I find it preferential to differentiate.

If I didn't use the word Farang, it gets complicated because it's easier than saying Westerner, and often I can't tell a Frenchman from a Spaniard.

Edited by Andyfez

12 hours ago, Gonefortea said:

I did state in my origional post I feel slightly disrespected when another forigner calls me a Falang. If Thais call it me I have no truck with it. Personaly I would never address a fellow forigner as a falang. What others call each other has no real bearing on my post as it specifically relates to a Thai word.

Maybe... Farang and foreigner ?

In a Thai world, using easy words to express... adapting to Thailand, i did get used to the words...

Strange, this time a farang bashing over farangs using the word farang...

Take as deep breath..............andddddd, get over it.  Now, if you showed up in my village I'd more than likely call you a farang, especially if I was talking to other Thais.  Do a TV search on the topics of the use of the word farang.  No matter how much you dislike it, as long as you're in Thailand your going to encounter the common use of the term. 
BTW, here in Thailand I occasionally will have non-Americans refer to me as a 'Yank.'  I'm sure some Yanks would take offense.  I don't.  I'll use Yank to refer to myself and other Americans.  Offensive? Disrespectful?  None of the above?  You're not going to change peoples use of 'cultural references' to describe others from different cultures and countries.  You'll blow a gasket if you try.
Here's the bottom line:  The only thing that IS in your control to change is your own attitude.  Best of luck.

Edited by connda

My peeve about the word is why do foreigners who normally have no trouble pronouncing "R's" in the own language suddenly not only say the "R" as and "Asian L" when speaking the word but even type with an accent  adding the "L" to the written word?  I would never type that I am "going to the maLket to buy some kaLLots" so why would I type "faLang" especially when writing to other foreigners?  

32 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

My peeve about the word is why do foreigners who normally have no trouble pronouncing "R's" in the own language suddenly not only say the "R" as and "Asian L" when speaking the word but even type with an accent  adding the "L" to the written word?  I would never type that I am "going to the maLket to buy some kaLLots" so why would I type "faLang" especially when writing to other foreigners?  

Most just see it written in two different ways, but don't understand why.  They just pick a spelling.  So for those of you who don't know:
Fa(r)ang: The 'R' in fa(r)ang is the correct transliteration of the Thai character 'Raw Rua' in the Thai alphabet.  It's a hard 'R' sound (or a rolling 'R' sound <thanks for the note ThaiWai>).

Fa(l)ang: However, it seem that because some Thais will interchange their 'R' sound with a 'L' sound (and vice versa), someone who developed transliteration schemes chose to use an 'L' instead. 

Which is 'right?'  It depends.  I can't say I've ever heard a Thai use the 'L' sound to pronounce the word (others may have), so for myself knowing the language, I consider farang with an 'R' to be the most correct.

The OP brought up the spelling, so just some clarification for those who are interested.

Edited by connda

3 hours ago, kowpot said:

"Clusadel" 

There is no word in Thai language or pronounced by a Thai ending with the sound L

lorling the sound L has a final sound N 

Football=Footbon. Google=Googen. Apple=Appen.

So Clusadel impossible :smile: 

Edited by Tchooptip

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Most just see it written in two different ways, but don't understand why.  They just pick a spelling.  So for those of you who don't know:
Fa(r)ang: The 'R' in fa(r)ang is the correct transliteration of the Thai character 'Raw Rua' in the Thai alphabet.  It's a hard 'R' sound.

Fa(l)ang: However, it seem that because some Thais will interchange their 'R' sound with a 'L' sound (and vice versa), someone who developed transliteration schemes chose to use an 'L' instead. 

Which is 'right?'  It depends.  I can't say I've ever hear a Thai use the 'L' sound to pronounce the word (others may have), so for myself knowing the language, I consider farang with an 'R' to be the most correct.

Raw Rua actually is a rolling R, not a hard R for "those of you who don't know".

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Fa(r)ang: The 'R' in fa(r)ang is the correct transliteration of the Thai character 'Raw Rua' in the Thai alphabet.  It's a hard 'R' sound.

Which is 'right?'  It depends.  I can't say I've ever hear a Thai use the 'L' sound to pronounce the word (others may have), so for myself knowing the language, I consider farang with an 'R' to be the most correct.

Thai round here say 'alloy' for arroy, 'lorn' (hot), etc. Seems no one can pronounce 'r' or it's just local dialect. They're mostly farmers.

15 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Raw Rua actually is a rolling R, not a hard R for "those of you who don't know".

You're splitting hairs.  Some Thais will roll their 'R', some won't.  Just as some will interpose an 'L' sound for an 'R' sound, and others won't.  Regional dialects probably explains a lot.

Just clarifying. :thumbsup:

Edited by connda

6 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Thais use negro or "similar" when referring to blacks (African or otherwise) - never meant as offensive, but often considered so by PC farangs.

Caucasian is probably the best definition of Farang.

Caucasian , negro, african... its called etnical profiling... ( racial )

Being called Farang is as polite as calling someone "stranger"

Most "Farang" are placed on a Piedestal by Thai people, many complainers falling down...

11 hours ago, redwinecheese said:

I would love to hear a Thai pronounce the word "crusader" because as far as I know not all Thais can say the letter R easily if it is not pronounced separately.

The OP is referring to farangs calling a farang, farang....

14 hours ago, Gonefortea said:

If Thais call it me I have no truck with it. 

I read 'have no truck with' here to mean 'I don't mind', but I have never heard it used like this before - usually it means the opposite, or have I misunderstood?

Farang is a useful word, no need to feel disrespected I think, unless that is the intent of the speaker.. who, if Farang, presumably does not intend insult?

Cheers

8 minutes ago, connda said:

You're splitting hairs.  Some Thais will roll their 'R', some won't.  Just as some will interpose an 'L' sound for an 'R' sound, and others won't.  Regional dialects probably explains a lot.

Just clarifying. :thumbsup:

Actually, not splitting hairs.  It's a rolling R, not a hard R and if you are not pronouncing a hard R you not are not only incorrect but sound strange when speaking it as would a Thai.  Just clarifying, for you, again. :thumbsup: Just because "some people do this and some people do that", it doesn't make them correct.  

Some things in Paradise never change!

Get use to it or make a change.

With all the problems in the world this annoyance seems silly to me.

I've been hearing this for the last 11 years and just accepted  it.

When I lived in Costa Rica for 10 years I accepted being called a gringo.

Even when living in the United States, I accepted the fact that in some areas I was called a cracker.

Go with the flow.....:smile:

This guy is 'splitting hairs'............. (the OP)

I'm a 'farang' (or round eyes, as many Thais have also called me)......

It don't bother me to be a 'farang' ---- to either Thais or other farangs.......

I can't see a problem......... and I don't know why I'm wasting my time with this guy except that I would like to offer a suggestion to him: If you don't like being a 'farang' in Thailand (to both Thais and your peers) then move somewhere else ---Maybe NIGERIA, where I think you will have more serious things to be concerned about...........

But while you are here --- Welcome to Thailand............

Being called a 'farang' by a Thai person when they don't know my name, not a problem.  Being referred to as a 'farang'  (to his pals) by a Thai  in earshot of me, when he knows my name and I have bothered to learn his , very rude.  No excuses, I have had savvy Thais say to me they hate other Thais using it when they know the person's name.