Any 'real' Mexican Restaraunts ?

Clipped

is there any place that has close to authentic mexican food in pattaya? ive been to tequila reef,but, but, but it just isnt what im looking for, i use to live in texas , so ive been spoiled with lots of great mexican food...any other places?

any good enchiladas that melt in your mouth, with proper chili sauce laddled over the top?

man im hungry

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try "Mike's", which is on Tepprarya Road, (between Pattaya and Jomtien), sort of across from the Seven Oaks Inn. They have great tacos there... you won't find better that that here. They are pretty authentic... try the regular chicken or beef tacos. I think they might have another location someone else in town...

The Great American Rib, that just opened on Tepprasit Road, 1/3 of the way going from Tepprarya Road heading to Sukumvit, on the right side, has sort of Tex-Mex type BBQ stuff... excellent quality...

The Great American Rib, that just opened on Tepprasit Road, 1/3 of the way going from Tepprarya Road heading to Sukumvit, on the right side, has sort of Tex-Mex type BBQ stuff... excellent quality...

I give follow up praise for Great American Rib , went in there expecting half assed BBQ and was very suprised at the taste & quality - only kicker is the 7% VAT and a 10% service charge once the bill comes. :o

is there any place that has close to authentic mexican food in pattaya? ive been to tequila reef,but, but, but it just isnt what im looking for, i use to live in texas , so ive been spoiled with lots of great mexican food...any other places?

any good enchiladas that melt in your mouth, with proper chili sauce laddled over the top?

man im hungry

afraid I have to agree with the last couple of posts, Tequila Reef in Soi 7 is as good as it gets when it comes to mexican food around Pattaya, and with yours too, "it just isn't"... great.

Tequila Reef, Soi 8 - bit pricey, but ok for a bit of a change. :o

I think Soi 7: Tel: 038-414-035

The great thing about this place, was massive food portions: Recommended!

Agreed with the portions, Huge, i orderd a starter of nachos then a main course rib and chicken combo, I didnt touch the chicken as i was stuffed. The food was ok the place was mexican, Not wishing to say anything bad, but maybe i was expecting something a little different.. worth a visit,

"Mike's", which is on Tepprarya Road, (between Pattaya and Jomtien), sort of across from the Seven Oaks Inn. I havent been as yet, but am planning on it, always looks busy in the evening when i go past.

Great Margaritas at Tequila Reef too!!! :o

Clipped. If you like texas style mexican, I hear there's nothing that comes close really. I haven't tried Tequila Reef but as I am a 15 year Houston resident returning to Pattaya, I will be interested in your opinion. Maybe the other guys can tell us if the Blue Parrot in Pattayaland is still there as it was half-decent a long long time ago.

Tequila Reef = tasteless slop

Atmosphere = loudmouths convinced the details of their lives are fascinating to everybody else in the room.

I must agree on both counts.

The only real Mexican food (California style) in Thailand that I have had is at Miquel's California Cafe in Chiang Mai. However, he has just sold it to a Canadian who he is training right now, so try to get there before Miquel (Mike) leaves in January! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

That is one of the few downsides to living in Asia. Mexican food just doesn't seem to make the move as well as say Italian or Indian. Not sure why, but have never really found any place that does it well. Chili's in KL does pretty well with the Tex-Mex but real Mexican have never been able to find anywhere. Probably the best I have had is Cha-Cha's in Holland Village in Singapore.

Tried the Blue Parrot a couple years ago. Typical Asian version.

TH

Great Margaritas at Tequila Reef too!!! :D

Clipped. If you like texas style mexican, I hear there's nothing that comes close really. I haven't tried Tequila Reef but as I am a 15 year Houston resident returning to Pattaya, I will be interested in your opinion. Maybe the other guys can tell us if the Blue Parrot in Pattayaland is still there as it was half-decent a long long time ago.

small world , i was in houston for around 15 years too...seems like its hard to find a decent mexican restaraunt...what i would give for a Ninfas, cafe adobo, two pesos heck anything even a taqueria like the restaraunts back home.

Most of the mexican restaraunts in thailand taste like yankee style mexican, (upper US) just not the real thing, a burrito is more than just meat in a tortilla damnit! :o and dont put ketchup on my enchilada..ahhh!!!

well i'll have to check out 'Mikes', but if they put ketchup on my taco....get a rope...

Blue Parrot also.

went to Tequilareef before, but got turned off when they marinated my baby back ribs in apple sauce...and gave me ketchup as a dipping sauce...gettng there unscathed by the hands of desperate bar girls is also a challenge if coming in from the other direction...

Your experience and impressions are very similar to mine and also agree on the SG resturants altho have not been there in years.

Most everywhere overpowers the salsa with way too much cilantro, prefer to pick up a bottle of imported salsa at Foodland, Best or Friendship. I have resorted to making my own mex at home and find it to be much tastier than anything on the street.

That is one of the few downsides to living in Asia. Mexican food just doesn't seem to make the move as well as say Italian or Indian. Not sure why, but have never really found any place that does it well. Chili's in KL does pretty well with the Tex-Mex but real Mexican have never been able to find anywhere. Probably the best I have had is Cha-Cha's in Holland Village in Singapore.

Tried the Blue Parrot a couple years ago. Typical Asian version.

TH

Yes, the Mexican food situation is quite sad. Without being rude, anyone who thinks Blue Parrot serves good Mexican food doesn't know the first thing about Mexican food ... of any style. Haven't tried Mike's yet. I am desperate enough to give it a go. I have also been experimenting with creating home cooked Mexican flavors and so far have found I can beat a place like Blue Parrot with canned refried beans from Friendship and locally available hot Tex Mex salsa!

(If you want more details, I put down a base of refritos, then top with cooked shreded chicken adorned with hot chiles, microwave that, then top with two fried eggs and lots and lots of salsa, can serve with tortillas or even white bread if you don't have tortillas, similar enough to huevos rancheros.)

BTW, the Great American Rib Company on Theprasit has some Mexican dishes like fajitas. Now fajitas are mostly a gringo style dish, but that doesn't mean they can't be good. So far have only had their BBQ ribs there, which are Grade A excellent!

Edited by Jingthing

Tequila Reef = tasteless slop

Atmosphere = loudmouths convinced the details of their lives are fascinating to everybody else in the room.

I'll agree with the first comment. I was so disappointed with the food that was claiming to be Mexican. Most of it was taken back uneaten as it was the blandest food that I've ever had the misfortune to eat. Who wants to eat Mexican food smothered in grated Cheddar cheese? Their chili con carne was fairly authentic but has been removed from the menu....at least I couldn't see it!!

Speaking of Mexican food, are fresh jalapeno peppers available anywhere in Pattaya? Thai chilis just don't do it for Mexican.

I have never managed to find fresh Jalapeno peppers in Pattaya but in Carrefour on Pattaya Klang they sell pickled Jalapenos.

They are very tasty indeed!

'Casa Fiesta' do a 227g glass jar: located at the 'Imported Foods' section.

119 baht.

Several posters have commented on the poor selection of 'Mexican' food in Pattaya.

But I'm willing to bet that if I sat ou all down around one table and served a selection of 'Mexican' food - you would all appreciate different dishes ans criticise others that some of you liked.

To run a restaurant in a tourist town like Pattaya means that one has to cater for the tourist taste, rather than the resident expatriate taste, to make money. This does not mean that quality standards should suffer, but that specilised dishes may be few and far between.

May I suggest that you contact each other, meet once a week or once a month at each others homes and the host cook his own favorites? And you can all improve each others' understanding and appreciation of a very flavourful style of cuisine.

Tequila Reef isn't bad - have I eaten way better yes! However I think you will be hard pressed finding much better in Patters.

I agree with brit.....I know that the food is not authentic Mexican, for example the burrito has rice at one end refried beans at the other and chunks of meat throughout and looks huge on the plate, whereas the authentic Mexican burrito would not have the rice in and the beef, chicken or pork would be shredded and the whole dish would be more narrower and elongated and have more herbs etc.

Having said all that I do enjoy the food there, the service is very efficient and the margaritas delicious. Add to this its excellent location and friendly atmosphere and reasonable prices then it will stay on my list of eating places. :o

Speaking of Mexican food, are fresh jalapeno peppers available anywhere in Pattaya? Thai chilis just don't do it for Mexican.

I have never managed to find fresh Jalapeno peppers in Pattaya but in Carrefour on Pattaya Klang they sell pickled Jalapenos.

They are very tasty indeed!

'Casa Fiesta' do a 227g glass jar: located at the 'Imported Foods' section.

119 baht.

Thanks for that. I am on it. I would prefer fresh but I like pickled too. Jalapenos are a must. I guess Thailand figures they have enough pepper varieties as it is. BTW, I have noticed a new to me product on the shelves around town, bottled Chipotle pepper sauce.

The Moonshine in Jomtien has good Tex-Mex when Ned is overseeing things. It is on Soi 7 (I think), behind the first 7-11 on Beach Road in Jomtien.

The Blue Parrott fills a void if you haven't had any for some time but it is not that authentic.

Tequila Reef is not very good.

There is a steak house behind Kiss Restaurant on Second Road and Soi Diana Inn (I can't think of the name and I am not there to look it up). It is in the same building with Kiss and is about 50 meters inside on the left. Really good tacos the 3 times I have been.

You should be able to get Old El Paso bottled jalapenas at Best or Foodland. I never had any trouble finding them.