longer lease?

jackted

I need advice on any strategies to get a longer business lease than my current one for 12 months.

My business, a restaurant, is for sale but prospective buyers won`t take the risk with the short lease.

The restaurant has been established for 8 years, originally on a renewable 3 year lease. However, the landlord made all his tenants switch to a 1 year lease  18 months ago. Because there were plans to knock several businesses down and build a plaza (which we could then rent again after completion). So far this hasn`t happened and management say `there are no now plans`. I don`t believe that 100%

We are a good tenant paying rent, electric & water every month and on time & maintaining the premises. I`ve never met the billionaire landlord, who rarely visits the area. All communication is through lower management. I have asked several times and even written a letter in Thai to be passed on to the owner requesting a longer lease. All requests met with a "No".

It maybe nothing will make the landlord give a longer lease, but to sell my business, I have to try. I think the key is the landlord but can`t think of how to get a win:win agreement. Or even how to make a better approach.

So any serious suggestions on how I could approach this would be most welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/21/2017 at 1:00 PM, jackted said:

So any serious suggestions on how I could approach this would be most welcome

Why do you think so many successful businesses in Thailand suddenly disapear ?

90% of the time is because the greedy landlord sees someone making money and they would rather lose a tenant than accept the idea that someone else is making money off of their property

So they raise the rent so high that even a good business can no longer make a profit so they either go out of business or move and go through the same problem a year later because the next greedy landlord will also only give them a year lease 

Good luck trying to change the business mentality here in Thailand 

Archived